New PP Pentode Monoblocks

What people are working on at the moment
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#226 Re: New PP Pentode Monoblocks

Post by Cressy Snr »

I don't know, maybe with the push pull amps it is the lack of distortion that makes them not sound "loud" in the conventional sense. You can't turn them up into the distortion region, even in a large space like Owston. They can be flat out and not distorting, which will make them not sound as immediate as the lower power ones which are clipping.

I can only go on what happens whenever they are taken out of the context of driving efficient speakers with friendly loads.
Put a multiple 5 driver speaker with a complex crossover on the end of them and they crap out entirely. Yes I'm aware that valve amps and inefficient complex crossovered speakers are not compatible bedfellows, but few valve amps I've heard illustrate this more than mine do.

I'm sitting here with my monoblocks playing and I'm enveloped in gorgeousness. I've lost count of the number of times I've written this, but it's no good if you can't back up what you claim anywhere else. The best they have performed, was at Simon's place, into his fostex horns. The worst by a country mile was at Colin's into Jennas and Norges, where they were frankly execrable; out of control and wheezing.

The only thing I can think of that would make them compatible with big complex multiple driver speakers would be to massively increase the overall gain, with a hi-gain input stage, a differential phase splitter/driver stage to provide even more gain, then wrap 20dB of global feedback from the OPT secondary back to the cathode of the input stage, IOW do what everyone else has been doing for decades, but then they would probably lose all the qualities that make them sound so damned good with "friendly" efficient speakers.

I think the Barbariks are an extremely niche product that requires very careful matching to the speaker to get the best out of them. I think the buggers are even more niche than SETs and maybe I'll just have to live with the fact that they are not a universal valve solution, and enjoy them for what they do well.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#227 Re: New PP Pentode Monoblocks

Post by simon »

Your amps are great Steve, and really, you're way too hard on yourself.

Sure it'd be great if they performed the same at Owston or elsewhere, and on less than ideal speakers, but in the scheme of things is it really that important? You've designed them to work at home, and they sound great there, they do all you want. Most of us would settle for that!
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#228 Re: New PP Pentode Monoblocks

Post by Mike H »

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#229 Re: New PP Pentode Monoblocks

Post by Cressy Snr »

Yes,
You can probably see where our Ant get's his perfectionism from. :)
Perfectionism aint healthy.
The Doc is coming tomorrow to collect his new refurbished, replinthed TT and a load of other bits from our Ant's place.
He'll knock some sense into us. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#230 Re: New PP Pentode Monoblocks

Post by mainscablesrus »

Mosfets are the way forward valves are so old hat! LOL
You can't change how people treat you or what they say about you. All you can do is change how you react to it.
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#231 Re: New PP Pentode Monoblocks

Post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

BOLLOCKS !
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#232 Re: New PP Pentode Monoblocks

Post by pre65 »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:46 pm BOLLOCKS !
Mosfets generally make a better sound than bollocks, unless you (Richard) have a very musical pair. :lol:

I think you might find Dave (MCRU) was having a laugh,but you (Richard) might find that an alien concept. :wink:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Greg
Social outcast

#233 Re: New PP Pentode Monoblocks

Post by Greg »

I would suggest that when Richard attends the Phono comparison, sorry, bake off, he takes with him his best pair of mono bloc amps he produces and compares them, sorry, bakes them off against the mosfet amps Dave refers to. A great 'bake off' challenge, although I know where I'll be punting my money.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#234 Re: New PP Pentode Monoblocks

Well seeing as both of them are blocked I can't read but I presume this was just the usual yadda yadda because I dare to have an opinion.
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#235 Re: New PP Pentode Monoblocks

Post by Daniel Quinn »

Greg wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:07 pm I would suggest that when Richard attends the Phono comparison, sorry, bake off, he takes with him his best pair of mono bloc amps he produces and compares them, sorry, bakes them off against the mosfet amps Dave refers to. A great 'bake off' challenge, although I know where I'll be punting my money.
Given cressy opionion on the nva 300 quid pre power combination. I beg to differ
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#236 Re: New PP Pentode Monoblocks

The point being if some idiot had said the same thing about my amps, my reply would have been BOLLOCKS !

There was no implied criticism of Nicks amp, it was just a stupid statement.
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#237 Re: New PP Pentode Monoblocks

Post by Daniel Quinn »

As was mine. I don't like Greg so I enjoy baiting him .
Greg
Social outcast

#238 Re: New PP Pentode Monoblocks

Post by Greg »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:36 pm As was mine. I don't like Greg so I enjoy baiting him .
Hehe! I'm lapping it up. Bring it on, child.