A Final Go With Vinyl

What people are working on at the moment
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Ali Tait wrote:Which would those be Mark?
Oh, all the old controversial stuff, Ali :D
103, 103R , SPU ( various ) .
The Dyna XX-1L has a nice treble, but lacks tone in the mids compared to the 103R . The XX-2/II has the alnico and the midrange tone, but has a 'HiFi' top-end.
Koetsu Red ( borrowed ! )
Zyx R-1000 ( borrowed ! ) .
I had a 103R modified by 'Expert Stylus' to have a sapphire cantilever and modern diamond, but I didn't like it.

Other than those I haven't had much experience on carts . I quite like the balance of the cheaper Audio Technica MM's though - but they're not as subtle as a good MC .
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

:D Tried any Deccas?

I have a Maroon, but it's down on one channel, I need to send it away for fettling.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

What did you think of the ZYX?

Read a lot of good things about them.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

Ali Tait wrote:
Maybe try a decent MM cart Steve? I'll bring down a couple of NOS Acutex I have, very good for the money IMHO.
I'd like to try one of those Ali, but though a lot has happened today, the thing is a still a longer term project, so if you don't mind me keeping it for at least six months, until I can sort myself a phono stage and a low mass arm, then I'll be glad to try the Acutex.

Mark,

Yep, I think the high trackability route is the only way to go for me.
a DD turntable and low mass high compliance arm cartridge interface, though not the current state of the art will give me the best chance of satisfaction.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Steve, no problem. I liked the cart that much, I bought another, so you can have the new one as long as you like. I also bought a 412, which I've yet to try, so I'll bring both, you can take whichever you like best.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Ali Tait wrote:What did you think of the ZYX?
Read a lot of good things about them.
This is a good way outside of Steve's thread, but it was very impressive. It had the clarity of tone I want - actually sounded a lot like a well set-up 103R, but the treble was more resolved and refined and the imaging was more precise. However I can't justify the 10X extra cost ref. the carts I like , for those improvements. If a cart lasted for 10,000 hrs, then it would be a different calc !
I would like to hear the current R-100 though .
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Thanks Mark, yes agree, I'd like to hear one too.

Sorry for the OT Steve.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Buuut, I think given Steve's love of Northern Soul type stuff, he'll like what the Acutex does.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

Speaking of arms.
The old Audio Technica AT1120 looks just the job - if I can find one at the right price and in the right condition.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

I have a Jelco SA 250 I'm using at the moment which will be spare once the Tecnoarm is in place, you can borrow it if you like Steve, has a Sumiko head shell on, which was a fair bit better than the OEM that came with it.
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

How much do you want to spend on a 3009?

Andrew
Analogue, the lost world that lies between 0 and 1.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

Cheers Ali, I'll have a think.

Andrew.
I'm prepared to pay £150 as I think that is what a used one is worth, but no doubt sellers would get more for one on eBay than I am willing to pay.

It is somewhat academic at the moment, until I am in a position to buy something :)
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

SteveTheShadow wrote:
Andrew.
I'm prepared to pay £150 as I think that is what a used one is worth, but no doubt sellers would get more for one on eBay than I am willing to pay.

It is somewhat academic at the moment, until I am in a position to buy something :)
OK, I'll ask about/keep my eye open for you.

Andrew
Analogue, the lost world that lies between 0 and 1.
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

Steve, did you ever go any further with this? I'm beginning to like the idea of balanced working, and my TT2/Mission 774 is already wired that way into the MC stepup. I've been following your balanced push-pull with interest as well.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

Nah!
My heart's not in it.
I think it's because, at the end of the day, I simply don't like the sound of vinyl. It's no use me trying to pretend otherwise.

Regarding the balanced, push-pull, all-pentode, high voltage, low current, class A/B concept; I'm completely sold on it. For me, nothing, but, nothing comes close.
These amp types play music like nothing I have heard previously, and nobody else does them these days, at least not as far as I can tell.
Admittedly, I haven't tried class A/B operation with direct heated pentodes, but at the same time I don't feel the need to take things any further, which is why I have stopped building.
I do have mixed feelings about that, but there you go.