richard higgin's lenco

What people are working on at the moment
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Yes, I would love to hear it at Owston.

One thing I thought. The motor appears to be fairly heavily enclosed in a lot of close fitting MDF. Now I may be wrong, but does it not need sufficient airflow to stay cool? You wouldn't want it to overheat when used for long periods.
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
Douglas Adams (HHGTTG)
cressy
Shed dweller

Post by cressy »

Should be yes. Ive just bought some american blavk walnut veneer for it but i dont think that will be done in time
cressy
Shed dweller

Post by cressy »

I thought about the airflow to the motor and have been checking on it and it seems ok. Thats partially why the feet are so tall to allow plenty of air to be drawn up
cressy
Shed dweller

Post by cressy »

got the veneering done today. not the best veneering job in the world, but it will do. it needs a couple of coats of wax.
next job will be the trim ring when i get round to it

cressy
Shed dweller

Post by cressy »

Does anyone know if i could spray a satin clear coat over the veneer as it has had a coat of teak oil. I dont want to ruin it, i'll just give it more teak oil of theres likely to be a reaction
Cheers ant
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

cressy wrote:Does anyone know if i could spray a satin clear coat over the veneer as it has had a coat of teak oil. I dont want to ruin it, i'll just give it more teak oil of theres likely to be a reaction
Cheers ant
I wouldn't.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
cressy
Shed dweller

Post by cressy »

Got it finished
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Impressive!
Analogue, the lost world that lies between 0 and 1.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

It does look the part. A lot of work has gone into that.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
cressy
Shed dweller

Post by cressy »

in truth, it looks abit of a twat up close, the paint is a rush job as it was starting to rain, and the veneering is not the best in the world. its a ten foot turntable. from ten foot away it looks great.

but who cares, it was built for a laugh and has no right to sound as nice as it does :lol:

im past caring about achieving the best finish possible these days, i havent the time to switch on the hifi at the best of times as spending time with the family is more important to me now. so as long as it will pass a cursory visual inspection and be safe to have around the kids i dont care.

being completely anal about the finish like i used to be is counterproductive, but i suppose i still have a reputation to uphold.............. :D
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

Children and vinyl cost me a lot of money. Hope it is cheaper for you. I would pack the cartridge away when you are not in the room to watch it like a hawk. :wink:
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Paul Barker wrote:Children and vinyl cost me a lot of money. Hope it is cheaper for you. I would pack the cartridge away when you are not in the room to watch it like a hawk. :wink:
In my case, the kids were fine. It was the wife with the duster which was the problem. Fortunately, two accidents were covered by house insurance. Now she doesn't go near it and it is up to me to keep it dust free.......thankfully :wink:
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
Douglas Adams (HHGTTG)
cressy
Shed dweller

Post by cressy »

Got around to making a different armboard, i wasnt happy with the orientation of the arm or the height of it so i went for a simple circular one in 9mm mdf to reduce the height of the arm pillar and to get the vta right. I also got hold of the correct size forstner bit to drill out the mounting hole instead of the one i used before hat was too big. The mounting distance is now bang on instead of being slightly out so the cart has aligned correctly. It also clears the on off switch now so hopefully i shouldnt end up with a buggered cart.
Its better, and more cohherent sounding now, i will get an ortofon 2m red shortly to replace the aged adc and see what it sounds likr with a modern cart.Image
cressy
Shed dweller

Post by cressy »

i bought a new cart after deliberating and talking myself out of it for the past few months. a possibly strange choice but the price was right. its an ortofon mc10, the reed bodied one. i bought it because it has never been used and came with the matching mca10 head amp. it is one of the ortofon packages rather than both bits bought separately. the head amp has been used.
I suspect i might get better results with this than with the adc qlm 30 that is on it at the moment. it was only 100 quid which aint bad for a nos cart.
i loved the sl15 so i hope it sounds similar. i did have an mc10 super some years ago that i quite liked
hopefully it will deliver when it arrives
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Does anyone know if i could spray a satin clear coat over the veneer as it has had a coat of teak oil. I dont want to ruin it, i'll just give it more teak oil of theres likely to be a reaction
Ant,
i'm not sure all varnishes are suitable for your need after initial coating in Teak Oil. However, this stuff I know can be applied over an oiled veneer: http://www.generalfinishes.co.uk/index. ... ore&CID=27

Not cheap and I have a tin half used that I could bring to Owston and you can apply the varnish there? It is Gloss however. Only thing DON'T add any more coats of oil, simply let the existing fully dry out which it should by the time Owston comes around. This stuff is water based, is simply brushed on for a perfect finish and will be touch dry in around 1hr, perhaps shorter if the room temperature is reasonable.

Let me know.

Colin