Interest in a general purpose reg also 6.3v DC from 6.3v AC?

What people are working on at the moment
Andrew
Eternally single

#1 Interest in a general purpose reg also 6.3v DC from 6.3v AC?

Post by Andrew »

I'm thinking of using the some of the basic design ideas of the heater regs I've done as the springboard to do a general purpose reg PCB for the linear style reg chips. This would include low forward drop diodes, low ESR caps, high quality 3 pin reg such a LD1085, diode protection, output caps, wide range of voltage set resistors and the potential for split rail operation, on board heatsink, basically the works and hopefully 6.3v DC from 6.3v AC! There's no fancy second stage as on the heater supplies just an all purpose PCB to house your favourite programmable 3-legged reg chip.

Same PCB quality and kits as before based upon a group buy process, I need this PCB for a DAC I'm working on as well as supplies for a long tail pair current source etc, so I'm happy to share, is anyone interested?

thanks,

Andrew
Analogue, the lost world that lies between 0 and 1.
little eddy
Old Hand

Post by little eddy »

I guess you're looking at a modest current rating if a DAC is your intended application?
TD-125/RB250/MC25FL & 'Snail' phono, NAS/SBT with CS4398 DAC, 41MP pre & MoFo Power, still messing with OBs.
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

No, should be good for anything up to a couple of amps, of course bung on a smaller heatsink, or none at all, and it should be fine for a DAC.

cheers,

Andrew
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

Post by Ray P »

Could be interested Andrew.

What would be really useful (and, with hindsight, might have been a good option on your previous PS boards) would be to make them complete standalone units. For use up to a certain rating (say for use in DACs, preamps etc.) could you add a section to the board to accommodate a standard series encapsulated toroid transformer and maybe a fuse - that would be really neat, compact and flexible. The section could be removed for higher current use, either by scoring to snap it off or just let people get their hacksaws out. It will only make a small increase in the cost of each board.

Ray
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Its a reasonable idea Ray but the problem is that there's quite a wide range of transformer sizes e.g. http://www.rapidonline.com/pdf/525383.pdf . For that reason an off board transformer makes more sense as it allows more flexibility.

If there's enough demand I can do two PCB, one high current and one low with a PCB mount TX, but there has to be enough demand. to cover the costs.

Andrew
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

I was thinking along the lines of these;

http://www.digikey.co.uk/scripts/DkSear ... 7293889911

Should be easy to put a couple of different footprints to cater for various ratings and if the section of the board is removable you only need one PCB.

Ray
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Hi Ray,

Link doesn't work :(

Andrew
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Here's the generalPCB layout, its a variable reg PCB that can be used in grounded or center tap mode, so pretty general purpose, it should be good for the max current rating on the reg assuming not too much voltage drop and the heatsink is up to it, I have left plenty of space for a big heatsink; you simply load different components depending upon the configuration you want.

Andrew
Attachments
pcb.png
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

Andrew, this is the sort of thing I had in mind when I talked about the transformers being an on-board option; check out the opening post.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-bu ... oards.html

Ray
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

I see what you mean Ray, but by doing that you severely limit the board's appeal as you can only really design for one size and make of PCB transformer. I took a look at the PCB mount transformers and they vary in size quite a bit depending upon what you VA and voltages you want. By fixing the voltage and VA you can't then use the same board at other current /voltage values; this stuff needs some volume to make the PCBs cost effective, a small toroid therefore seems the best solution.

Andrew
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

Fair enough Andrew, though those boards are designed to use with the onboard transformer or an off-board one for higher current requirements.

BTW, I crept under the wire in signing up to that group buy; for the prices it seemed too good to pass by on a good but cheap I2S DAC and power supply to build a headphone amp/streamer around.

Ray
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Ray P wrote:Fair enough Andrew, though those boards are designed to use with the onboard transformer or an off-board one for higher current requirements.
Yep, but PCB's are costed on area. those boards have half the PCB taken up with the transformer, so adding the transformer and not using the space will double the cost for thsoe that dont want or need it.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

Nick wrote:
Ray P wrote:Fair enough Andrew, though those boards are designed to use with the onboard transformer or an off-board one for higher current requirements.
Yep, but PCB's are costed on area. those boards have half the PCB taken up with the transformer, so adding the transformer and not using the space will double the cost for thsoe that dont want or need it.
Yes, having recently had some PCBs manufactured, I know area is a cost driver,though the largest cost for something like this limited run is the initial 'tooling' set up so the price differential won't be that great.

As I recall. the projected cost of the power supply PCBs on the group buy I linked to was 4Euros if there was demand for 50 of them; that's £3.30 for a board for three regulated supplies (1 * +/-12V and 1 * 6V ) and space for two transformers; the board area for the transformers is clearly not costing very much.

Anyway, it was only a suggestion and it's Andrew's project and design parameters so that's cool.

Ray