Engraving

What people are working on at the moment
theoldtrout
User

#1 Engraving

Post by theoldtrout »

After five years of experimentation I decided it is time to put my active valve pre-amp into a decent case. I was considering having the front and rear panels black anodised and then engraved so the letters show "silver". There seem to lots of companies that offer this service but I was wondering if anybody had any experience of this.

I've used laser print water slide transfers on light coloured surfaces such as natural aluminium with good results, but black doesn't look very good on black ;-)
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Masking tape and a scrawly black marker pen.

Allows for continued experimentation dunnit :-)

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Other than the cost, I have found that getting them screen printed gives a far better result. You have much more control over what is written.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
theoldtrout
User

Post by theoldtrout »

Magic marker on a scrapped piece of MOD test gear is what it has been housed in until now and it is a bit of an eyesore. I want to sort of finish this pre-amp before I get distracted and start something else, so it would be nice to have it looking good.

Screen printing is a good idea, I could do the artwork myself and find someone to print it for me.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Yep, its normally just a matter of supplying PDF's
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Schaeffer

Used them several times. Free design program, then you use it to send them an order for the panel. Get it back within a week or so. The ordering program will tell you when. Anodised aluminium, various colours, or plain, and engraving with optional different colour inks if requred. Shit hot stuff IMHO. Not cheap but you gets what you pay for. I used to baulk at the German 19% VAT until of course ours went up to 20%!

HTH

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
theoldtrout
User

Post by theoldtrout »

Thanks for that Mike. I've just downloaded the programme and I'll give it try. I've never used any type of CAD programme, I'm more of paper/pencil/slide rule person - well I do use a calculator quite a lot. I'll let you know how I get on and post some photographs when done.
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

I also advocate Schaeffer. Although I've not used in myself, several others her have and I know they have been totally satisfied with the results. I do have a project that will need good finishing and I expect to use Schaeffer to achieve this.
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
Douglas Adams (HHGTTG)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Rather than try to move objects with the mouse, there is a way you can type in the coordinates, so if you got a paper drawing just measure X and Y from the origin point which is usually bottom left corner in the design prog (but you can change that), and type in the numbers. Especially if accuracy is important.

HTH

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
theoldtrout
User

Post by theoldtrout »

Mike H, thanks for that. I found the programme very quick to learn and easy to use, even adding angular radial lines around a switch. If anyone else is considering having panels made or engraved, this is a great way of doing it. I've done the deed and ordered a front and rear panel at a cost of £120 including shipping for the pair and look forward to putting it all together. Trouble is, can I stop experimenting for while.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Excellent! :thumbleft: