Quick advice on PSU for TA2024 T-amp

What people are working on at the moment
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Ummm..
Well it's more a case of where the energy goes in the room Mike - it's there, but only in the front corners ! Not sure how the mains AC would be connected to this - just seems like an odd room-mode.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Fairy nuff, just thought it was quite a coincidence. Just wondering if you might have a residual 50 Hz hum in the room (?)

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#48 Build

Post by IslandPink »

Mike - having residual 50Hz hum ( or 100Hz hum ) in the room is always a possibility :) but not much at the moment .

Ali - Just got the TDA7297 properly sorted and running .
Should have taken a picture of the insides before I closed it up, but I basically did the 'Salis' mods from that thread I linked.
Picture below of it in-situ - a 'half-shoddy' job ( not telling you which half ! ) in an RS box I already had .
I used a gold Nichinon 4700uF/16 as the final big PS cap on the board ; the pair of Nichinon Muse 1uf/50's on each input, paired with opposite orientations ( almost missed that detail on the first read-through the AudioCircle thread ) and took out the 'D2' diode and the small mustard-coloured cap.
Power supply as descrbed above, with 5A regulator .
Has had about 2hrs running in .
Sound is very musical in the bass and mids. The 2uF input cap really gives it some low-bass welly - very solid and satisfying. Midrange tone is also good, and quite spacious .
From the upper mids upwards it gets rather bright and edgy to my taste - makes the Ariels sound bright ! Couldn't put up with it long-term vs. the proper treble of a valve amp , but would work OK with speakers that are rolling-off at the top . This may be no worse than the TA2024 for all I know, but I never got the gain problem sorted out with the TA2024, so never heard it on music.
Maybe I shouldn't have removed the mustard-coloured cap ? - would be good to try with/without probably .
Should run-in more, but the trend is for the treble to get brighter, so may not improve as such . In any case, will be excellent for the purpose I intended - bass amp .
Attachments
KIF_0256.JPG
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Cheers Mark, sounds like you got a good result.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

As I mentioned to Ali on e-mail, this unit started to come back in a more useful direction after a lot more run-in over the weekend . Not often this sort of U-turn happens, in my experience of run-in with caps and the like.
I had it on the main system with vinyl on Sunday, and was really enjoying it - it has very solid bass and timing, good midrange tone, plenty of space and low-level stuff .
Maybe the top-end will improve a bit more, or there are more tweaks on the board to influence that ?
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Have to give my set a go soon, still busy refurbishing a set of wad PSE monoblocks...