Quick advice on PSU for TA2024 T-amp

What people are working on at the moment
al newall
Needs to get out more

Post by al newall »

Yes, it does better at the frequency extremes.
That was apparent in the first few minutes.
Whether it will change with time i can't say.

Acoustic bass is clearer than the T-amp, as is the sound of cymbals and metallic things.

Bearing in mind that the T-amp has good build quality and decent input caps, whereas the new amp is a bit cheap and nasty. It's a remarkable achievement.
I'll probably buy another and customize it a bit.

Simple 12-18v DC supply and a stereo board for peanuts. What's to lose.
Much to learn there is.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Steve and I had a play with his £2.50 specials and my Temple Audio amps at the last Owston. Have to say the cheap boards sounded very good, probably equally as good if a little different in some areas compared to my amps, but there were more similarities than differences overall I thought, which makes them great VFM IMHO.

I think having tried battery power on my amps at home, this gives a decent improvement over the power supply I was using before, which may partly explain the good sound at Owston from the cheapies, as they were run from a drill battery, so it may pay to go to a battery supply for best results Mark.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Ok, sounds very encouraging .
Ali, I think batteries are going to be a bit of a faff. I'd prefer a 'build-and-forget' solution for this (bass) amp .
When you used batteries, what aspects improved ?
I can see that a battery is like a regulated supply, so it might tighten-up bass. Or.. was it quietness you were getting ?
I'll be building a simple (SS-)regulated supply , so I'll see how the bass sounds. If I was running the amp full-range I might try something more sophisticated .
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
al newall
Needs to get out more

Post by al newall »

The SMPS i use is 6 amps, and usually sounds as good as anything.
Also have a good 14v drill battery but no means of charging it. (Suggestions welcome)
I've got a Maplin regulated 13v 3A linear supply somewhere in storage.
I'll find it in the next day or so and publish my findings. :)
Much to learn there is.
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

IslandPink wrote:I'll be building a simple (SS-)regulated supply , so I'll see how the bass sounds. If I was running the amp full-range I might try something more sophisticated .
Mark,

I have a pair of these amps on their way to me. One to fit into a friend's old chassis because he wants to keep the external image of his vintage kit and another for me to play with.

I am hoping I have a source for quality power supplies but these will only be available as and when, well, simply when they become available if you know what I mean.

With regard to a full range regulated supply, do you have anything particularly in mind?

Thanks,

Greg
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
Douglas Adams (HHGTTG)
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Well, you've put me on the spot there ! I'm just thinking that a simple regulator like a LM338T might not sound too good as the return path for the signal, higher-up the frequency range. Maybe all it requires would be that supply ( bridge, 10,000u, LM338T ) , plus a biggish low-inductance PP cap on the output of the power supply. I'm intending to use 12V toroid, but I think if you want eg. 15W from this thing you'd need to go to 15V AC in front of the regulator chip to keep regulation as the demand goes up. I don't need much power myself.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

IslandPink wrote:Ok, sounds very encouraging .
Ali, I think batteries are going to be a bit of a faff. I'd prefer a 'build-and-forget' solution for this (bass) amp .
When you used batteries, what aspects improved ?
I can see that a battery is like a regulated supply, so it might tighten-up bass. Or.. was it quietness you were getting ?
I'll be building a simple (SS-)regulated supply , so I'll see how the bass sounds. If I was running the amp full-range I might try something more sophisticated .
The battery I'm using at the moment is a large capacity Li/Ion meant for charging phones and laptops. It has built in over voltage and fault protection, so I just leave it plugged in permanently. No faff :D

Yep, lower noise floor I think, and I thought the bass was a bit tighter and deeper. Not saying the PS I was using before was the best though.
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Ali Tait wrote:The battery I'm using at the moment is a large capacity Li/Ion meant for charging phones and laptops. It has built in over voltage and fault protection, so I just leave it plugged in permanently. No faff :D

Yep, lower noise floor I think, and I thought the bass was a bit tighter and deeper. Not saying the PS I was using before was the best though.
Ali, please can you link me towards this battery you are using.

Thanks,

Greg
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
Douglas Adams (HHGTTG)
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

I think Ali is using this one Greg:

http://www.ankaka.com/incredible-20000m ... _p409.html

I have one on order to try with my BM DAC
steve s
Shed dweller

Post by steve s »

Glad theres interest on these amps,

I did some more serious listerning last weekend the bass works well up to around 5 watts with my speakers the damping starts to go after then, in saying that its very loud on 100 db speakers and its driving 15 &18's
I also switched between battery and the led power supplies, bass or any thing else was indistinguishable between them , well to my ears..

The ones im using have been upgraded to the b version, its looks like better input caps...
I read theses are the weakspot on mine, I did think about by passing them
Less is sometimes more... But not sure if these boards need them
The ones i have are pre built and took around a week to come

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1pc-AC-DC-12V ... OC:GB:3160
Cheers..
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

I've ordered one to play with. £3.68 inc postage. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
al newall
Needs to get out more

Post by al newall »

I've contacted my Ebay seller to see if he has any more.
The kit comes with Nichicon and Wima caps, so is extra good value.
Although it would only cost pence to upgrade.
Much to learn there is.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

[quote="Neal"]I think Ali is using this one Greg:

http://www.ankaka.com/incredible-20000m ... _p409.html

I have one on order to try with my BM DAC[/quote

Yup, that's the one. Not the cheapest, but you can just leave it plugged in and charging 24/7.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

I couldn't find any real info on the difference between the version 'A' and 'B' , but I bought 2 of the version 'B' units. I'm well-known for my extravagance !