What people are working on at the moment
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

23 chokes - no wonder you stopped lugging your amps down to South Yorkshire
steve s
Shed dweller

Post by steve s »

Makes the 11 i've got wired up look like i'm being a cheapskate....but its only 2 stages..
Nice to know i'm going in the right direction... At last eh..

Whats holding me back at this point is the fact that i may be better off with 4 separate power supplies, i've been doing a lot of searching and thinking(for what thats worth?) but most of my books are pre 1950 . And they where mono only, so it wasn't such a big deal.
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Will
Old Hand

Post by Will »

A couple of weeks ago my lad (43) had his pal round who is on a sound recording degree course in Lundon...dad put yer stereo on for Mark.. well after a couple of tracks of SRV we had to scrape him off the floor and brew some sweet tea.
This rekindled my interest..true story :wink:
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Welcome back Will :-)
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

Will wrote:A couple of weeks ago my lad (43) had his pal round who is on a sound recording degree course in Lundon...dad put yer stereo on for Mark.. well after a couple of tracks of SRV we had to scrape him off the floor and brew some sweet tea.
This rekindled my interest..true story :wink:
It's nice when that happens :D
Makes it all worthwhile.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Will wrote: well after a couple of tracks of SRV we had to scrape him off the floor and brew some sweet tea.
Aaahhhh! Our-Will is definitely back if 'Tin Pan Alley' is being played again :-)

Still got Muddy Waters Folk Singer by any chance?! Heheheheheheh

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Right, I think I've got a Plan-of-Attack sorted WRT 4 x Reg'd PSU's.

I know what 4 x SS rectified and SS reg'd PSU's sound like, that's what I'm living with at the mo, soooo... lets go out into HollowstateLand with Valve rect and reg'd 2 x ~360V @100mA max Series Pass for the 300B stages and Valve Rect but Valve Shunt Reg'd for the 2 x 150V at ~ 35mA 6C45P stages.

I've bookmarked Prof. Creswells Reg'd PSU's for Dummies thread and have the Merlin B PSU book as reference. Lets see
A)what I can breadboard
B)if it works.

Lastly we'll see if it sounds any good if A + B states are met!

DTB
thomas
Old Hand

Post by thomas »

Hi DTB

Go for it!

You'll be needing a trolley, mind! :D

T
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

Aye....get on with it :D
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

The only consideration I would give, is that as you have separated the first stage power supplies from the second stage, the need to regulate the output stage on behalf of the first stage no longer exists. By all means shunt reg the first stage. Now try choke input on the output stage instead of regulating it. Compare that to your series Reg and let me know the outcome.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
little eddy
Old Hand

Post by little eddy »

Dave the bass wrote:lets go out into HollowstateLand with Valve rect and reg'd 2 x ~360V @100mA max Series Pass for the 300B stages
I presume Dave you're considering valve regulation so am wondering what further level of improvement might be attributable to valve rectification? Just thinking whether SS rectification & series valve regulation might be an improvement over simple valve rectification for my amp so will watch with interest.
TD-125/RB250/MC25FL & 'Snail' phono, NAS/SBT with CS4398 DAC, 41MP pre & MoFo Power, still messing with OBs.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Paul Barker wrote:The only consideration I would give, is that as you have separated the first stage power supplies from the second stage, the need to regulate the output stage on behalf of the first stage no longer exists. By all means shunt reg the first stage. Now try choke input on the output stage instead of regulating it. Compare that to your series Reg and let me know the outcome.
OK, will do, thats quick and easy to do. I'll give that a try.
little eddy wrote:[

I presume Dave you're considering valve regulation so am wondering what further level of improvement might be attributable to valve rectification? Just thinking whether SS rectification & series valve regulation might be an improvement over simple valve rectification for my amp so will watch with interest.
I don't know if it will be an improvement Mike, thats why I thought I'd try it and see. Don't know unless I try.

Something I have noticed since going IR LED cathode bias on the 6C45 (thus increasing anode current) is that in combo with all the SS bench supplies the way the amp 'does' Acoustic Double Bass recordings is awethumne. Ultra tight, no flab, high definition. If I loose that I lose that I wont be happy.

DTB
steve s
Shed dweller

Post by steve s »

I think there are two issues i can think of and it will depend on the amp or valves used.
1st the modern production 300 b valves i 've heard seem to benefit from a regulated supply to tighten the bass, thats not really an issue with the old valves ..in my view.
The 2nd is the power supply is modulated by the load, ie the music signal. A stiff power supply ie Lc will reduce that modulation, as will the use of the various types of regulator, the valves types will not prevent it, just reduce it further.
As that modulation is in time with the musical signal load, and in a stereo amp there is a phase difference between the driver and output stage, and differences between the chanels. all the valves are been fed the modulated signal which is the sum of the modulation on the power supply, less any smoothing between the valves ...
Thats when the penny droped for me when i realised the average 2 dc volts drop in my power supplies when playing was actually been turned in to 2 volts ac modulated by the music load.
When you think in terms of the actual ac signal voltage, a couple of volts of mixed channel out of phase modulation added to the driver power supply will have an effect somewhere. As will cross chanel too.
I think dave may need requlated supplies on his 300bs, where as I can get away without on my px25's but to be honest I'm not 100% sure why,

I do wonder if the improvements on say a more simple single power supplied amp when say choke loading or transformer coupled drivers are used could be down to the inductance involved.
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

I think dave may need requlated supplies on his 300bs, where as I can get away without on my px25's but to be honest I'm not 100% sure why,
Assuming a fixed Z power supply, am output stage using a valve with a lower Ra will have a worst PSRR than one with a higher Ra.

But I found (years ago now), that a 45 sounded best with a shunt supply, series supplies and LCLC were much the same. So even with a 45 it still matters.

I have to disagree that old 300b don't show the effect, IMHO (at yours, I dont have any) they do, it just that their other wonderfulness can distract you from noticing the problems in the supply.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
steve s
Shed dweller

Post by steve s »

Nick we are all gullty of hearing what we want to hear at times and disregarding the rest, i consider it a skill...

the regulated supply in your 45 could sound better because the valve sounds better on a regulated supply,
or it could be the lack modulated section of the supply ensuring a clean power to all valves causing the amplifier to perform better... If the latter, separate quality none regulated supplies could possibly end with the same result
But i don't know the answer.. But the latter seems to explains things more logically to me.

The thing for me was daves amp was a step change on the seperate supplies, compared to any thing else i've heard, whilst both your amps and steves amps and a few others really had me thinking over the last few years, i now must do something with my power supplies.
Last edited by steve s on Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.