2a3 PSE (WAD)

What people are working on at the moment
kennyk
User

#1 2a3 PSE (WAD)

Post by kennyk »

(I've also posted over on the WD forum)

Just won an unused 2A3 integrated chassis on ebay. an empty case with front panel.
I have a pair of original OPTX, but I'm needing some information regarding the original mains tx and choke. the original supplier info would be good so I can try to get something to fit the case without doing much butchering. (or if anyone has any originals surplus they want rid of...?)

I've got the cct diags and a couple of DIY supplements, but if anyone has a set of original design instructions I could get a copy of that would be a big help.
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Someone, not me, had all the list of parts number for all the WAD kits, was it Neal or Lord?

Andrew
Analogue, the lost world that lies between 0 and 1.
kennyk
User

Post by kennyk »

Well, the original unused chassis and front panel arrived today.

Think I have all the iron sorted too.

I'm now going to source the rest of the bits over the next few weeks.

Can anyone tell me about the Speaker binding posts that fit the ~10mm square holes? that's a new one for me.
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Yes, they are unusual. I've not seen them anywhere else and I think this was the only WAD/WD kit ever fitted with them.
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
Douglas Adams (HHGTTG)
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

I have one upstairs and they are fancy-looking things with gold-plated bits covered in transparent plastic casings to avoid electrocuting yourself with the power ... :?: ... but I can't easily point you to what they are or who makes them . If you can find anything that fits the description & provide a link, I will let you know if they look correct .
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Erm..... I may have these but surely any binding posts will do as long as they don't short to the chassis.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
kennyk
User

Post by kennyk »

yeah probably will do. it was more that the chassis is cut for square ~10mm holes which is something quite unusual. I was wondering if there was a way around fitting a round peg in a square hole!
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

Post by Ray P »

kennyk wrote:yeah probably will do. it was more that the chassis is cut for square ~10mm holes which is something quite unusual. I was wondering if there was a way around fitting a round peg in a square hole!
Depends on the diameter of the round peg, a 10mm dia peg will fit nicely and you could probably get away with 9 or 8mm dia.

Alternatively you could;
1. drill new holes and simply not use the existing ones.
2. blank over the existing holes and redrill new ones to suit.
3. ream the existing holes out; Mr Pythagoras tells me the diameter will be 14.14mm though, which might be a bit big.

Most binding posts have some sort of front/back fascia/washer larger that the fitting hole.

Ray
kennyk
User

Post by kennyk »

yeah plenty of options. I'll see what I can find. as long as I can mount the binding posts securely, that's the main thing.

I'm going to need to do a little bit of work on the case to fit the OPTX. One trafo has five holes in it, the other six. (one is missing half way along the edge) but the chassis only has two mounting holes drilled for each. So it looks like the best option is to drill four corner holes on the chassis, as I don't really fancy trying to drill through all the laminations...
kennyk
User

Post by kennyk »

Things moving slowly forward; I've got virtually everything I need to commence the build, and the rest of the components are on their way. I've managed to source most of the bits from eBay. I'm just waiting on some resistors and capacitors now.

Apart from all the signal wire I'm good to go. rather than go for 14 individual runs I'm going to get a metre of 16-way studio multicore, which should be a lot neater.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

Post by Ray P »

kennyk wrote:Things moving slowly forward; I've got virtually everything I need to commence the build, and the rest of the components are on their way. I've managed to source most of the bits from eBay. I'm just waiting on some resistors and capacitors now.

Apart from all the signal wire I'm good to go. rather than go for 14 individual runs I'm going to get a metre of 16-way studio multicore, which should be a lot neater.
To paraphrase a post here from a while back (by Nick I think), the electrons won't know the wiring is neat.

Ray
Stuart a
User

Post by Stuart a »

Hi Kenny , did you get this up and running ?
Ps . It's stuart that borrowed you my old wad monos