Recommendations for a SS RIAA phono preamp?

What people are working on at the moment
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Yep, they're on the disc.
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
Douglas Adams (HHGTTG)
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

April '94 supplement has the original incorrect cct diagram... It's an Andy Grove design I believe.
Reffc
User

Post by Reffc »

I eventually settled on the Hagerman Bugle 2 kit. Great circuit, reasonable price considering the chap's got to make a profit.

This arrived this afternoon:

Building up stages:

Sounds superb! Betters my EAR 834 and by quite a margin which is pretty surprising; that's not what I expected so pretty astounded at the performance per £.

Switched mode wallwart supply is regulated and uses inductors in the power smoothing stage on the PCB to virtually eradicate HF noise in the supply. All in all, a very worthwhile DIY kit.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Good effort !
I started off with the EAR 834, years ago .
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Reffc
User

Post by Reffc »

IslandPink wrote:Good effort !
I started off with the EAR 834, years ago .
The 834's a nice phonostage but it's quite a wake-up call when a sub £100 kit can wipe the floor with it.
JamesD
Old Hand

Post by JamesD »

Nice kit and nice build!

The DiyAudio Blowtorch pre thread has a lot of the audio design greats who are alive today contributing - its noisy as hell and subject to diversions BUT it has the state of the art designers discussing the state of the art and one of their conclusions is that the best of modern ic audio design is only just exceeded by the best discrete (ss or vacuum) audio design - and that measurement doesn't show where the difference is...

The Bugle 2 is not far off this state of the art so it is no surprise that it exceeds the performance of what, now-a-days is a dated implementation - hell as Mark says even we have gone passed its performance with our designs!

Its great that you have found out how good the Bugle 2 is and reported on it here - thankyou!

James