current ebay dac board

What people are working on at the moment
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Ta for the answers Neal and Nic.

Yeah, it'll be used with a Win7 Laptop and a EDO'd Touch, I don't have the MacBook anymore.

So, to get Hi Res out via USB on the laptop if I use a CM6631A USB->SPDIF converter with the correct driver installed and then feed the SPDIF o/p of the converter into a coaxial SPDIF i/p on (say) an AK4396 DAC I should be able to play hi res (24/192) flac files from the laptop yeah?

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

Yep, that should work. Don't forget the Touch will play 24/96 over SPDIF natively so no need for the converter...unless you want to isolate the DAC from the Touch...
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Neal wrote:Yep, that should work. Don't forget the Touch will play 24/96 over SPDIF natively so no need for the converter...unless you want to isolate the DAC from the Touch...
Cool, ta Neal.

Yep, I use the downstairs Touch just with the ext DAC over SPDIF but upstairs (project HQ!) source-wise I use another Touch in addition to a Laptop. I also want to have Hi-Res playback when we go away on Hols with the Holiday amp and speakers so instead of taking the Touch/PSU/ext HD I can just take the Laptop (which goes anyway) loaded with hot toons and the USB/SPDIF convertor+DAC Combo. Sorted, I think.

I use an M-Audio Transit USB DAC here at work running LMS off the workshop PC with a 2TB ext HD full to FLACS and it works OK but reports it'll only play up to 24Bit / 44.1KHZ. I've installed the M-Audio Transit driver but no joy. Meh! See below screenshot.

DTB
Attachments
SPDIF screenshot.jpg
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

That seems odd Dave, I thought Windows supported USB audio class 1 devices out-of-the-box meaning it should support 24/96 :?
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Neal wrote:That seems odd Dave, I thought Windows supported USB audio class 1 devices out-of-the-box meaning it should support 24/96 :?
Yeah, odd innit. Is there a way to check the USB ports on a PC are healthy and running as they should be?

Sorry for the thread hijack our-Ed.

DTB
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

That is interesting.

Just looked at mine, exactly the same properties window. (Windows Vista, Aero theme)

Internal or non-USB, up to 24 bits 192 kHz (studio quality).

For the USB adaptor, currently set to 16 bits 48 kHz (DVD quality [highest from a choice of 3]). This is Windows' own driver for USB. Unlike Dave's no options for how many channels.

Adaptor is a Citronic AC-1, 2 x phono in, 2 x phono out, plus vinyl EQ and level control on the input.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

I'll have to fire up my Windows PC dave and check, what's shown in windows device mangler, sorry manager for the audio device?
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Nic, your enthusing about Sabre Dacs and ES9023 got me searching and chin scratching :-)

I2S Sabre DAC. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hifimediy-Sab ... 1e802dc091

So cheap! If I'm reading that advert correctly it only accepts I2S i/p, there's an option for fitting an onboard Osc Xtal to support Asynchronous too.

Another search result brought up a pricier version ....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SABRE-HI-END- ... 3f2854f857

Same functionality but with SPDIF i/p too I believe?

Have you tried either by chance?

I've already plumped for a USB -> SPDIF converter with additional IS2 output too. Just in case I bite the bullet!
Neal wrote:I'll have to fire up my Windows PC dave and check, what's shown in windows device mangler, sorry manager for the audio device?
Will have a look in a bit Neal and report back. Ta's.

DTB
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Device manager reports that the M-Audio Transit is 'unspecified'...

Erks!

See screenshot below.

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Errmm ..... Image

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

Have you got the correct driver installed?

Maybe try removing / uninstalling the device and delete the driver. Then plug the device back in and see if Windows recognizes it with its native driver...
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Neal wrote:Have you got the correct driver installed?

Maybe try removing / uninstalling the device and delete the driver. Then plug the device back in and see if Windows recognizes it with its native driver...
Yep, correct driver according to M-Audio Website -> http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=sup ... ers&f=1219

I've just deleted and re-installed (from the link at the bottom of that page) the driver again and still no joy, still states its streaming at 44.1KHz! Doh.

See piccie below. I'm playing a known 24/96 track in Foobar, the Transit play's the track but reports incorrectly. Meh.

DTB
Attachments
Driver reinstall.jpg
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Dave the bass wrote:
I use an M-Audio Transit USB DAC here at work running LMS off the workshop PC with a 2TB ext HD full to FLACS and it works OK but reports it'll only play up to 24Bit / 44.1KHZ. I've installed the M-Audio Transit driver but no joy. Meh!
DTB
Hope Ed doesn't mind a continued thread-jack but this is exciting news.... remember the odd problem with my M-Audio Transit not streaming 24/96 correctly? Have a read above if anyones interested for a recap... well, Sussed it yesterday, I've found as a result of my continued faffing about with the CMedia 6631a drivers and a USB->I2S converter I'm trying to get working (unsuccesfuly with I2S but fine with S/PDIF, more later). I've found my M-Audio Transit will only support 24 96 playback when the inputs are deselected... otherwise it max's out playback to 24 Bit/48KHz when the Transit Audio inputs are selected on the pop up screen in the tool-bar. If I turn them off I can then select 24/96 and off go but I can only make that selection when there's NO MUSIC being played vai the Transit!!!! Took me awhile to suss that one out, huzzah!

<sleeps soundly>

I2S long winded story tomorrow.

DTB
al newall
Needs to get out more

Post by al newall »

I don't think the cheap DAC boards have changed radically in the last few years.

The AK4396 board was probably superior to the Crystal Semi boards that Lampizator championed. But i reckoned the difference was mainly in presentation.

Vinyl lovers will probably prefer the AK4396. For me the easy going sound from this DAC gave the impression of being a little undynamic at times.

Now i have one of the later unmodded Crystal boards, and i think i prefer it.
Differences are audible but not worth fretting about. IMHO.
Much to learn there is.