First Builds

What people are working on at the moment
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1 First Builds

Post by Cressy Snr »

Realising how far all of us have come since we first started and after I had been rummaging around in my old email archives,
I thought it might be nice to see some of the first things we built.

This Bluebell Loftin-White 2A3 was the thing that started the whole sorry business for me :wink:
10th October 2005 is the date on the photo.
That long ago.

I bet some of us can do something much earlier.
Last edited by Cressy Snr on Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

I did not start this hobby till 2006, and this is my first project. I still remember my first fest, Eggborough 2006. :)

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

That is still for me, the coolest looking thing. :)

I remember you playing it through Al's Martin J King tapered quarter wave speakers. I think it was via Tony Moore's own design of CD player.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

SteveTheShadow wrote:That is still for me, the coolest looking thing. :)

I remember you playing it through Al's Martin J King tapered quarter wave speakers. I think it was via Tony Moore's own design of CD player.
Yes indeed Steve, what a memory. :)

And Eggy 2006 was the first time I met up with the "regulars", and it was first time for DTB as well.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Greg
Social outcast

#5 Re: First Builds

Post by Greg »

SteveTheShadow wrote: 10th October 2005 is the date on the photo.
That long ago.
Eight years? Must be time to repaint the walls :wink:
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
Douglas Adams (HHGTTG)
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

Post by Ray P »

My Bottlehead Paraglow, circa 2002....

I wrote an article on the build for HiFi World.

Ray
Attachments
Paraglow 2.jpg
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

I haven't got any pics of the WAD 2A3 amp I put together in 2001, but I was able to find these pics of my Aurora amps circa 2003, from Lynn's site .
Attachments
Aurora_amp1.jpg
Aurora_amp2.jpg
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
ed
retired

Post by ed »

do speakers count?:

september 2003 - exactly 10 years ago, how scary?
Attachments
ariel6a.jpg
ariel6.jpg
Last edited by ed on Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
ed
retired

Post by ed »

august 2003....from the hifi world article published october 2003:
Attachments
esl3full.JPG
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
cressy
Shed dweller

Post by cressy »

i found the first build, the replinthed lp12 and high mass arm, note the rather nasty finish....... and the first amp, a rocky that looked abit wierd
Attachments
perspex and birch ply lp12.jpg
first amp, lenco, mcd.jpg
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

A bit short on photo's but in 1971 I broke up a Pye radiogram, built a wooden enclosure for the mono valve amp, and mounted the full range drivers into baffles which I leaned against the wall. I was into baffles in those days but moved on :wink: Source was the Garrard deck that came out of the radiogram, mounted into a simple wooden cut out. Sound was much improved over the combined radiogram unit and became even better when I painted the amp enclosure red with white 'go faster' stripes :)

In 1975, I acquired a Thorens TD150 in a peice of veneered chipboard, fed into a secondhand Rogers HG88 MkII (valves) which I still have. This stereo amp was wired for mono to feed a 'Musolium' speaker which was a very open to atmosphere cabinet containing a single 12" Goodman's full range driver. The cabinet was so airy, it operated very much like a baffle as we know them today. Around this time, I built my first relatively serious interconnect.

Thereafter, as income improved, I started to get into more commercial kit and in the 1980's developed a taste for quality sound. I bought new kit based on listening sessions and magazine reviews, but had to save up my police mileage and subsistance allowances from attending police diving jobs. It was a slow process. With a mortgage and young family, upgrading kit over the counter was a non starter. The only option was to DIY something. My first step was to strip down and rebuild the Thorens TD150, fit it in an Ash wood properly made plinth, fit damping material to the chassis, a Linn armboard and Linn springs and mount a Rega 250 arm. I also ripped out all the mechanics to reduce it to a simple 33rpm player only. This produced a massive improvement to sound and set me on the way to DIY regardless of bugger all knowledge. My brother still happily now uses that TT.

I contented myself building interconnects until in 1994 I heard the WAD KLS3 speakers hooked up to their 300B PP amp at a Bristol show and I was gobsmacked by the sound quality. The next year, I built my own KLS3's and after much tweaking and tuning, continue to use them to date. This gave me the courage to move onto amplifiers and my first was the WAD KaT88 with a passive pot in a box pre. I can't describe my excitement when having built it, tested it and fitted it into the system, it worked first time and the sound was so good. Thereafter, all is history most of you know.

Nice thread Steve.

Greg
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
Douglas Adams (HHGTTG)
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

BOBA! 'Box of Bits Amplifier'. It was a mono PCL86 SE IIRC.

Later it became stereo and our-Paul placed it on a 3 ton block of Slate to make it sound better (bwahahahahahahahah!) at WhitFest in 2007, thread here so so built in Nov 2006 by the looks of things. http://www.world-designs.co.uk/forum/sh ... light=BOBA

Still a new kid on the block!

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Graeme
Needs to get out more

Post by Graeme »

My first build, kel84. Still in use but constantly evolving.

with the WD speakers too.
thomas
Old Hand

Post by thomas »

I haven't got any photos of my first valve build- not digital ones anyway :(
It was a pair of bluebell 2a3 L-W monoblocs, in 2007. They were in proper boxes and everything. Sound was quite good.
I next built a Bluebell cribbed circuit preamp with phono stage but pulled that apart pretty quickly. To this day I haven't built a decent preamp....
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

thomas wrote:I haven't got any photos of my first valve build- not digital ones anyway :(
It was a pair of bluebell 2a3 L-W monoblocs, in 2007. They were in proper boxes and everything. Sound was quite good.
I next built a Bluebell cribbed circuit preamp with phono stage but pulled that apart pretty quickly. To this day I haven't built a decent preamp....
Y'know Thomas I'm sure I remember you bringing them to Owston - all black with big rectangular oil caps? Or perhaps you just described them to me? Geez, failing memory is no fun! Anyway I've looked back through my library of Owston photos but can't see them, so maybe you didn't bring them? If you did can you remember when and I'll look again.