New KT120 PP In The Style of the Leben CS1000P

What people are working on at the moment
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

IslandPink wrote:What does the PY500A do, Steve ?
Also, where is the 40V toroid ?
It's on my list of essentials at Owston to listen carefully to this amp !
The PY500A gives a slow start to the driver stage and, I suppose, injects that valve rectifier sweetness into the part of the amp that has arguably, the largest effect on the final sound.

A second effect it seems to have had, is to improve the quality of the silence of the amp, that's the only way i can think of to put it.

The 40V toroid is the heater transformer for the PY500A and is mounted inside the chassis. These rectifiers are just the 40V heater version of the 6.3V EY500A half wave damper diode.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Ah, OK , now I'm with you .
I'm surprised you haven't shunt-regulated the driver stage supply - that would be a very 'Lynn Olson' way to go :D
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

IslandPink wrote:Ah, OK , now I'm with you .
I'm surprised you haven't shunt-regulated the driver stage supply - that would be a very 'Lynn Olson' way to go :D
I'm not making any more holes in the top plate. :)

Something to think about if I do another iteration.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Start-up delay?

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

Aye, the driver stage has acquired a start up delay, courtesy of the PY500A damper diode.
A few posts ago I mentioned the injection of sweetness into the driver stage by the valve diode. I've changed by mind, perhaps it is removing some kind of distortion instead.
The treble tone is certainly more liquid and single endy, with the vacuum diode in line than it was with the driver PSU branch open, back to the solid state bridge.
It is however, the mid range instrumental tone quality that has seen the most change with the addition of the vacuum diode, not in the classic romantic way but in terms of presence in the room. This seems to have occurred without any moving forward of individual sound sources, ie none of that awful mid emphasis that is superficially impressive, but, in the long run, fatiguing.
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Yep I am using 6D222S damper diodes in the J.E.Labs EL34 SE Yep nice slow start up love the sound too 8)
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

colin.hepburn wrote:Yep I am using 6D222S damper diodes in the J.E.Labs EL34 SE Yep nice slow start up love the sound too 8)
Aye, it's a lovely sound they give.
All I have to do now is fit cathode bypass caps across the common output stage bias resistors. Now the amp is running class AB1 they are going to be needed, if the amp is to work properly when it enters heavy class B, which at Owston, is bound to happen sooner or later :wink:

220uF should be a decent compromise between the theoretical optimum value and recovery time after overload.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

Final schematic before Owston:
Bypass cap has been added to KT120 bias resistor, so output stage will work properly in class B
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

It's been a while since I posted on this thread, but now that the amp is back running KT120s. I must say, it works rather well with EF184s as differential pairs, driving the output valves.
A nice refinement to the diff pair was to put a green LED in the tail to bias it.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

SteveTheShadow wrote:It's been a while since I posted on this thread, but now that the amp is back running KT120s. I must say, it works rather well with EF184s as differential pairs, driving the output valves.
A nice refinement to the diff pair was to put a green LED in the tail to bias it.
Not sure a LEd will do what you think in the tail of a LTP, the roal of the resistor or better a CCS is to ensure that if the current in one half increases, the current in the other half will decrease by the same amount. A LED which is a constant voltage device won't care what he current in the two half's are.

Another way of looking at it is a cathode coupled pair, as the cathode is now a constant voltage, there is no coupling.

As you are feeding it a already balanced signal its no big deal, but you may as well have separate cathode components.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

Hmmm.... I see it now :oops:

Thanks Nick.

Mind you I'm enjoying the amp with the trioded EF184 drivers.
There is a better sense of power to the sound, than with ECC81s driving.

With EL34s/EF184s the thing tips over into brashness, but KT120s are sublime.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

there is a small T03 package depletion mosfet CCS forgotten the number. Fatbottle probably stocks them. Might be worth a try in that tail. But with GaryP now on the forum he'll probably have better suggestions.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

CCSs are a new thing to me.
What exactly are the sonic benefits supposed to be?
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

I refuse to get involved. Sorry I mentioned it. :lol:
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Paul Barker wrote:I refuse to get involved. Sorry I mentioned it. :lol:
:lol: :lol:

I'd give it a try Steve.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)