smps heater supplies

What people are working on at the moment
ed
retired

#1 smps heater supplies

Post by ed »

I've started a new thread to stop polluting the others...

still very much intrigued by these smps for heater supplies, although I'm a bit mystified by some results.

Paul loaned me a cisco 48v unit sometime back, which I was going to try in a mic pre-amp that I was building. I lost interest in this application as I got the following results when I measured the unit.

open ended(no load) it presented 2 wave forms:
a) 2k at 5mv p-p (very pretty sawtooth)
b) 10mhz at 24mv RMS

with 4k7 load(to mimic 10ma phantom power):
a) 2k at 7mv p-p
b) 16mhz at 64mv RMS

I've resurrected interest after Andrews GK70 demo, and I'm still searching for a 6v unit to try with the SV572..but so far I'm thinking they are not very clean and require some clean-up...more measurements I think

here are the shots:
Attachments
smps-3.jpg
smps-2.jpg
smps-1.jpg
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
ed
retired

Post by ed »

and here is 4...
Attachments
smps-4.jpg
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

I've not scoped the 833a heater SMPS, but I suspect they could be a bit quieter (less noisy), so I wondered if something like these would be worth a go ?

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/leaded-inductors/1889056/
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

Since this is used as a B+ supply in my pp amp do I take from this that I need a 2k (2 kilohertz?) notch filter on the B+?

Scary bad design! 2 khz :roll:
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
JamesD
Old Hand

Post by JamesD »

WHilst this is certainly not desirable - has anyone looked at the output from conventional heater dc solutions for a comparision?

I don't mean Andrew's new regulator or the Colmon ones but say the 317 or the 1085 ones?

I seem to recall that the 317 ones have more noise on them than this - more like 60-70mA and the 1085 ones are comparable but I don't have nice pictures of it...

SO whilst I think the use of a common mode and differential choke will greatly improve these supplies, I think they are actually decent 'out of the box' - not great but decent and usable in an economical implementation...

The nice thing is that the frequencies we want to filter here are relatively high and so the chokes are smaller and more economical than what I was trying in the GK-71 thread - I must admit that was a bit ambitious!

J
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

The advantage of SMPS is efficiency and minimal heat dissipation. But it's swings and roundabouts, also comes with noise which must be filtered out if it's an issue. Yes I would use a LC filter, this is also suggested on a buck inverter datasheet I've got. So it's obviously a well recognised issue 'in the trade'.

BTW I recently got a couple of Maplin netbook supplies to play with.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
JamesD
Old Hand

Post by JamesD »

Excellent Mike! The more experience and measurements we have the better we can make use of them :D

J
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

I might be a while getting around to it :lol:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
ed
retired

Post by ed »

continuing saga...

I've just tested a couple of ITX 450w ex desktop supplies I've got which I use for battery recyclers.....They are much much much cleaner than the cisco unit...inasmuch as they do measure 5ish ma RMS at 31 and 62 khz..but nothing at lower frequencies....

I've got 4 laptop supplies to measure..I willl post scope images if anybody is interested....(i've found a memory stick so I can now post images instead of photos)..
JamesD
Old Hand

Post by JamesD »

Hi Ed.

very much interested!!!

The ITX supplies at 5mA - what voltage line was that? I would expect them to be cleaner than Laptop supplies as they are generally more expensive and have higher current capacities but the higher switching frequencies wasn't necessarily a given and is really useful data - much easier to filter!

J
ed
retired

Post by ed »

Hi James

The one mentioned was a 12v line, with a highish load on the 5v line to force activation.

Both the supplies mentioned have duff 3.3v lines, which is why I use them for other duties...Not sure whether that might be relevant.
JamesD
Old Hand

Post by JamesD »

Interesting, thanks ED!

I need to check if you can stack the supplies for 17V... does anybody know?

J
ed
retired

Post by ed »

lots of things to consider...
I particularly liked the scenario where the two(or more) supplies don't start at the same moment and the slower starter is faced with voltages on its output......

can't life get complicated!

http://electronics.stackexchange.com/qu ... and-24v-dc
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Slightly bogus, I think some of those answers are confusing series and parallel. The main reason you cant connect them in series is

"And since the ATX output GND is connected to the AC input GND you would be shorting the output(s) of one supply to GND"

If the outputs were floating, then if they were in series, it would not matter what came up first, they would not see each others voltage. Thats what Paul did with the cisco supplies.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ed
retired

Post by ed »

I'm not sure if that wouldn't apply to the cisco units as well. Somebody(maybe Paul) has cut the earth wire at source on the unit that I have.....

interesting point..........

all ATX units I have seen have a 3 wire mains connection with earth connected.

All the netbook, laptop supplies I have seen have 2 wire connections.

Not sure about the mesh box type as I havn't seen one yet.

diet: maybe I'm thinking too much but if you use a 3 wire version for heater and you cathode ground the positive side of your heater then the same scenario would apply, shirley? maybe needs checking