Andrew
Eternally single

#1 Neal's 2A3 Amp Measurements at Owston

Post by Andrew »

Here's the images of Neal's amp.
Attachments
Left freq response looks good!
Left freq response looks good!
Left Channel FFT shows some 50 and 100Hz noise but nothing too dramatic, note the sidebands on the fundamental being created by the inter modulation even with such small amount of 50Hz and 100Hz.
Left Channel FFT shows some 50 and 100Hz noise but nothing too dramatic, note the sidebands on the fundamental being created by the inter modulation even with such small amount of 50Hz and 100Hz.
Final one for the left channel note how the distortion falls off after 40Hz this is caused by the output transformers which Neal spec'd for 40Hz so the designer and winders have done a good job.
Final one for the left channel note how the distortion falls off after 40Hz this is caused by the output transformers which Neal spec'd for 40Hz so the designer and winders have done a good job.
Analogue, the lost world that lies between 0 and 1.
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

OK right channel.
Attachments
Freq versus distortion.
Freq versus distortion.
FFT shows more distortion and noise that the left channel, Neal found out later the some adjustments to humbucker and balance pots was in order.
FFT shows more distortion and noise that the left channel, Neal found out later the some adjustments to humbucker and balance pots was in order.
Right freq response seems spot on too...
Right freq response seems spot on too...
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

Cheers Andrew, I manage to trim the hum down to 0.1mV when I got the amp home and had time to move a few wires about underneath!
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Excellent news :)
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Neal, these are reduced so that they can be loaded on the board, drop me a PM if you want the originals zipped up and sent your way. Thom you're next ;)
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

Ok thanks Andrew.

Measured my WAD K5881 today on the HP 333A

Figures are corrected for sig gen rated distortion:

100Hz
1W: 0.09%
10W: 0.25%

1Khz
1W: 0.03%
10W: 0.06%

10Khz
1W: 0.09%
10W: 0.51%

WAD rated the K5881 MKII at 0.012% THD+N so given my HP333A is out of cal the figures aren't too bad!

The rise in distortion at 10W, 10Khz is due to a slight imbalance creeping in to the phase splitter output, its just starting to be visible on the 'scope.
JamesD
Old Hand

Post by JamesD »

Those a damn fine figures for a valve amp! And that phase splitter is doing very well too not show up until 10W at 10KHz...

At 10Watts is the beastie moving towards A2 and is that the extra loading or is something else going on?

James
SimonC
Old Hand

Post by SimonC »

Hi Neal (& Andrew),

If I could have made it on Saturday I would have brought along a virtually std WAD 5881 for comparison. Would have been interesting to have done back to back sound and measurement comparisons so see what effect your mods have had.

The subject of measurement is always an interesting one... why does SE DHT sound so damm good, when the measurements say it shouldn't...

Simon C
JamesD
Old Hand

Post by JamesD »

Flip answer is 'because we're measuring the wrong things!"

More considered answer is that what we measure only minimally correlates with how we hear...

Measuring is an engineering activity and we can use that to design better measuring amplifiers and sometimes that also gives us better sounding amplifiers...

For instance: Looking at the spectrum measured by Andrew of Neals amplifier the thing that stands out for me is the inter-modulation of 50 & 100Hz components with the 1Khz test signal - visible also on the test signal harmonics - now that is 'horrible' and far more worth removing than the direct hum caused by the 50 and 100Hz signals themselves... but which makes the amplifier sound better???

Reducing Intermod, TID, SID, etc. is a much bigger thing than reducing THD once THD is under, say 0.5%... and measuring and testing is the way to do this in a controlled manner...

So its not the measurements saying SE shouldn't sound good - the measurements say nothing about the sound of an amplifier per se but our expectation of what the measurements might mean about the sound of an amplifier that is 'wrong'... We are insufficiently knowledgeable about the sound of measurements :shock: :shock: :shock:
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Well put James.

Andrew
SimonC
Old Hand

Post by SimonC »

JamesD wrote:
More considered answer is that what we measure only minimally correlates with how we hear...

We are insufficiently knowledgeable about the sound of measurements :shock: :shock: :shock:
I always love this debate :-)

The engineer in me wants to find valid measurement methods, because once you can reduce it to numbers on a page you can then simulate it, and once you have a valid simulation you can iterate the design numerically to achieve whatever result you are aiming for. (Martin King has had a pretty impressive go at this for speaker simulations, and we generally like the results).

The artist in me hopes that I never find a valid measurement method, because as soon as you reduce it to numbers on a page it loses the element of human intuition and mystery. (For me losing this human element would turn it from a hobby into a chore).

Simon C
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

If you can't measure what you value, you end up valuing what you measure.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

Maybe the relationship is to an extent measurements guide, but they aren't everything.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
JamesD
Old Hand

Post by JamesD »

Nick,

that is the trap - surely the art is learning to stand on quicksand?

:D
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

So I just measured my 300B using the test set I have, not the PC set up used at Owston, they do produce much the same results and have much the same noise floor, but the test set can't do an FFT. The reason for the test set is that its easier to move around and the amp and PC are not in the same room.

Anyway, I got 0.6% THD at 1 watt at 1Khz and get 5% THD at 6 watts, for a work in progress and a SET amp this compares OK, I think, to Neal's excellent sounding PP.

cheers,

Andrew