Future plan for 300B XLS amp

What people are working on at the moment
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Oh dear there's a lot of good stuff here imho and I have no time to digest.. when I get back it'll all be dead busy again. I will read though!
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

I can send you the circa.2006 circuit of the C3m-300B if you like, will make it clearer .

MJ
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#63 New Plan

Post by IslandPink »

Well here I am again , might as well tack the latest mods onto this thread .

Background :
This amp in one form or another continues to be my mainstay .
In the last 12 months, after hearing The Shadow's amp at Owston , it was converted from C3m/KR300B to C3g/6B4G . It has been very good and with the regulated supply , capable of playing pretty loud even on the Ariel speakers . Bass is fast with good tone . Just occasionally I could do with a little more power .

Ok, so for my horn speaker project I was supposed to be building a multi-channel amp :
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3827
This is going slowly .... so slowly that it's stopping me from progressing with the horns to be honest .
Then I got sidetracked into a possible shunt-regulated power supply :
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/phpBB2/view ... c&start=45
Which was always intended to be part of the final system in one form or another .
So I decided to do this , and have been buying the parts .
I made sure to spec the transformer with two HT windings, so I could get either ~320V or ~450V out, for 2A3 or 300B circuits.

In the meantime, two other things became relevant :
(i) Owston approaching
(i) Talking to James D about using a simple Series crossover to apply to the Bass/mid horn and the 288/Azura horn, to allow some evaluation & development without the multi-channel amp .

So, anyway, a new plan formed ... :D

(must take a breather ... )
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

So, the plan was formed, and the intention is to create a versatile amp with a bit more ooomph, that can be used to test out the new shunt-reg power supply, and a variant on the driver stage . This will ( all being well ) be coming to Owston in 'stage 3' or 'stage 4' form :

(1) Convert the signal board back to 300B-form again. This involves ripping out the output trannies, filament supplies , C3g-related resistors and suchlike, and putting in the relevant KR300B bits ; C3m drivers , Dave Slagle output trannies & Guido Tent filament supplies .

(2) put another 1uF PIO cap up-front in the series-reg power supply and turn up the control Knob to 450V or so .

(3) Build the Shunt-regulated ( 'T-Rex' ) circuit as discussed on the other thread , using the new Danbury mains transformer ( 390V @ 650mA non-ct ! ) using 6N1P cascode and adjust for 450-ish volts.

(4) After seeing what this is capable of for a while, convert the driver stage from C3m to direct-heated pentode 4P1L . This may require Andrew's new direct-heated filament supplies, or I can improvise.
Operating conditions will be roughly : 32mA , anode load 7.5k , dissipation 6.8W , screen stabilised at 150V with OA2 as per usual .
andrew Ivimey

Post by andrew Ivimey »

So you will let us know tomorrow around breakfast time, I should think.

Onwards!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

He he !
I've got you this time -
After a rather busy day yesterday ( between taking pictures of snow ) I have completed stages 1 and 2 : ( see attached ) .
Amps in-situ in Onken-enhanced Target rack . Built in the traditional 'ventilated/(death-trap)' style .

Reports on the sound will follow .... ( must dash - over to my ma's for Easter now .. )
Attachments
Rebuild_300BXLS.JPG
andrew Ivimey

Post by andrew Ivimey »

well done squire - all those bunnys, all those eggs!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

IslandPink wrote:He he !
I've got you this time -
After a rather busy day yesterday ( between taking pictures of snow ) I have completed stages 1 and 2 : ( see attached ) .
Amps in-situ in Onken-enhanced Target rack . Built in the traditional 'ventilated/(death-trap)' style .

Reports on the sound will follow .... ( must dash - over to my ma's for Easter now .. )
Very nice. I am reminded that when you built your first amp you took a lot of care over the woodwork, and made suitably shaped pieces to fit over any live contacts. you should go back to that idea.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Yes Paul, I'll do that - I'll have the two big 10H Sowter chokes to mount a partial cover from .

As far as the sound goes, it's interesting to go back from 6B4G ( Sylvania or Ken-Rad ) to the KR300B ( XLS ) . I couldn't exactly put my finger on the differences when I did the mods to do 6B4G .
Going back, the circuit with the KR300B's has more detail and slightly more treble tone/resolution, but it's a bit leaner in the bass, not so flattering . It's quite a different presentation. The bass timing and dynamics are still there though .
Apart from the differences in the valves, there are a number of potential reasons in the circuit though - will be interesting to do the various mods and see what happens . I can see several important factors :
1) Amorphous core trannies instead of M3 ( Purvine ) before.
2) C3m instead of C3g ( valve itself)
3) Guido Tent supplies instead of home-brewed Thorsten style ones
4) C3m driving big 300B at 18mA and 11.8k anode load may be struggling more than C3g at 17mA and 7.5k anode load driving 6B4G .

I suspect 1) and 4) are significant factors myself ... we shall see .
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#70 Stages 1 , 2 , 3

Post by IslandPink »

So , now to get some info on which changes did what . Discussions with Nick and Bud Purvine suggested that a lot of the change could be due to the amorphous cores .
I got the go-ahead from Bud to put his M3-core ( 'level 2.5' ) transformers ( for 2A3/6B4G ) back on the amp ; they are somewhat overbuilt for the 2A3 and will handle 75-80mA OK with good inductance.

So, this sounds better - a bit more tone in the mids , and generally a more fluid sound, at the expense of a little edge sharpness .

OK, I've decided to forge ahead with the power supply change, and then see later if a change of driver might fill out the bass and lower mids on the KR300B's .
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

As if by magic, I'm back to report on the next stage .
Attached , picture of status this morning vis the power supply ( on kitchen table ) .
Goodbye old friend ! :crybaby:

(This is the series-regulated PS just before dismantling )
Attachments
Series_PS_going.JPG
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#72 Progress

Post by IslandPink »

Steady progress, see pic below.
Danbury mains ( 390V @ 650mA ! ) in situ .
No problems so far .... except this is going to be one heavy beast to move around ....
Attachments
PS_shunt_progress.JPG
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Ok, it's finished !
( I think ... )
But dead as a Dodo :( Nothing coming through to the secondaries on the mains transformer .

I wonder if Mike or anyone else who has a Danbury mains transformer can help ?

I have a IEC socket & switch and it feeds the primary side of the mains TX . The switch neon is lit. The two output connections of the switch are showing 247V AC mains relative to ground .
Mike/Dave's info on the primary TX side reads :

Blue Brown Black Red
0V 238 248 258

So, I have Blue and Black connected to the switch , for my mains .
Nothing doing on the secondary side - no HT , no filament AC , so nothing's lit .

Very frustrating ....
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

If it was me... I'd do a continuity test on primary and secondary windings. If they're both OK apply 240V AC tothe primary and leave the secondaries un-connected to the PSU cct. to test if anything is pulling the TX sec/secs down firstly.

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Dave the bass wrote:If it was me... I'd do a continuity test on primary and secondary windings. If they're both OK apply 240V AC tothe primary and leave the secondaries un-connected to the PSU cct. to test if anything is pulling the TX sec/secs down firstly.

DTB
What he said.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.