6EM7 into EL34 ?

What people are working on at the moment
PeteC
Old Hand

#1 6EM7 into EL34 ?

Post by PeteC »

Hi all,

my main amp for last 2 years has been the 6EM7 into 300B.
http://www.audiodesignguide.com/my/new3 ... 0bxls.html

Now pretty much the last pair of 300B's has packed in this week ( well one of the pair and I'm left with one lone EH300B ) - I've had bad experience of both EH 300B's and JJ's failing early now, and frankly I'd like to try something else.

I have loads of El34's and 6L6's knocking around from guitar amp builds, as well as some Rusky 6C4C's which I quite like. I just agreed to sell a pair of PX25s to Paul , the day before the bloody EH300B died on me ! I will still honour that sale though.

Would it be possible to sub the 300b outputs for triode strapped EL34's for example ??

I want a quick fix to get the amp back up and running for the missus's film watching, and also fancy moving away from the 300Bs to be honest.

Any thoughts ?
Cheers
Pete
Life is two shirts
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

If you have 5K output transformers, which I assume you would have if using 300Bs then the EL34 should work well, driven by the 6EM7.

I built a single ended EL34 amp for a mate 5 years ago. He and his wife love it, play it every day, listen to the telly through it and have just replaced a worn out pair of Svets with JJs.
Not a bad lifespan for a pair of output valves.

I think you'd love it if you went with EL34s.
400V HT with 820R - 1K 10W cathode resistors would be a good place to start, which would give around 6WPC in SE.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Should be OK Pete.

I use 6DN7 to drive KT66 as a triode, and that sounds good on it's own, and also as a driver for the mighty 833a. :wink:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
PeteC
Old Hand

Post by PeteC »

Cheers Steve

that's what I hoped someone would say...

I will give it a go - I have a really nice pair of Svet's sitting on the shelf in front of me waiting to be used.

triode best I presume ?

Rgds
Pete
Life is two shirts
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

PeteC wrote:Cheers Steve

triode best I presume ?

Rgds
Pete
In this case, probably yes
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

In the interim I could send you a pair of used 300b's which should keep you up and running. Free of course.

Regards your plans.
For single ended you might want the extra power of say kt88/6550.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

In the interim I could send you a pair of used 300b's which should keep you up and running.

Regards your plans.
For single ended you might want the extra power of say kt88.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
PeteC
Old Hand

Post by PeteC »

Hi Paul,

thats a really kind offer.
Will send you a pm later

Cheers
Pete
Life is two shirts
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Oh dear I found out the playbook browser suffers the dreaded double post bug.
PeteC
Old Hand

Post by PeteC »

Hi chaps,

got up ( very ) early today and rewired the 6EM7/300B into a 6EM7/EL34 trioded amp.
pics later ....

found a really neat trick for moving the 2A 5V DC heater supplies to 6.3V supplies for the EL34's - lifting the ground leg of the 5V regulators and inserting red LEDs to raise the reference voltage - seems to have worked a treat. Found this on Merlin Blencowe's excellent Valve Wizard site.
http://www.valvewizard.co.uk/heater.html
Not yet fired it up - will do tonight with some "sacrificial " old EL34's first before using the new Svets

Thanks for the tips.

Rgds
Pete
Life is two shirts
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

found a really neat trick for moving the 2A 5V DC heater supplies to 6.3V supplies for the EL34's - lifting the ground leg of the 5V regulators and inserting red LEDs to raise the reference voltage
Andy Grove does that all the time, but normally with a couple of Si diodes to give the 1.3v Vf
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
PeteC
Old Hand

Post by PeteC »

So,
bunged a couple of old brimars in to test things out before trying the new Svets.

have 450v across the el34s. plate to cathode.
-39v across the 880 Ohm cathode resistors - so 44.3ma each side.
44.3ma x 450v = c. 20watts dissipation - so about 80% of recommended - quite hot but not crazy ?

Haven't changed anything in the PSU yet - maybe might try choke input to get the plate voltage down - but so far the valves seem happy.

Sound is , i think , more impactful and deeper than the old 6Em7/300B combination.

I'm very used to the sound of el34 in guitar gear so maybe I am hearing something I am used to ?

Anyway - like the sound of this amp quite a lot.

Rgds
Pete
Life is two shirts
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

PeteC wrote:So,
bunged a couple of old brimars in to test things out before trying the new Svets.

have 450v across the el34s. plate to cathode.
-39v across the 880 Ohm cathode resistors - so 44.3ma each side.
44.3ma x 450v = c. 20watts dissipation - so about 80% of recommended - quite hot but not crazy ?

Haven't changed anything in the PSU yet - maybe might try choke input to get the plate voltage down - but so far the valves seem happy.

Sound is , i think , more impactful and deeper than the old 6Em7/300B combination.

I'm very used to the sound of el34 in guitar gear so maybe I am hearing something I am used to ?

Anyway - like the sound of this amp quite a lot.

Rgds
Pete
Hi Pete,
That dissipation figure is about the right compromise between power and valve life, so those EL34s ought to last a decent period of time.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

I may do that as well, but to me I like the sound of a el34, far more than the 6550 or kt88. But I dont think its guliar bias, as I prefer a Fender Twin R over a Marshal.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

I also prefer el34 to kt88 variants. However gu50 is so cheap I ordered 4.