HF AC DHT Filament Supplies

What people are working on at the moment
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

pre65 wrote:Whats CMC ?
Common mode choke. As opposed to differential mode.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

simon wrote:
pre65 wrote:Whats CMC ?
Common mode choke. As opposed to differential mode.
Ah yes, of course.

I wonder if they do 10A versions ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

pre65 wrote: Whats CMC ?
I think here its referring to -> Common Mode Choke. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_mode_choke

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Thanks Simon / Dave. It must have been that beef/pork/chicken/horse pie I had last night.:wink:

I might try them on 833a, there is a tiny bit of hum. They are cheap enough.

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/produc ... 1864499-pr
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by jack »

Nick wrote:Yes, but the SMPS in those cases were producing DC, not HF AC. I have found though that a couple of stages of CMC and caps will get the noise of most SMPS's down to the mv range.
Why CMC - most SMPS OP noise is typically differential, not common mode.

Have you any measurements, specifically 'scope data on this - its interesting in that it certainly not what I would have expected - LCR/RCRC etc. I would expect to have significant impact, but a CMC? :scratch:
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

pre65 wrote:I might try them on 833a, there is a tiny bit of hum. They are cheap enough.

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/produc ... 1864499-pr
As you say cheap enough to try, and it will be interesting to see if they make any difference. Note that those in the link are 85 micro henry inductance so really very little. But it might be enough, if your hum is caused by common mode noise.

FWIW I did use them on my Coleman filament modules. Not because I knew I had a problem, but because they were cheap and I only wanted to build the raw power supplies once so wanged them in anyway. Probably a triumph of eagerness over knowledge!
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Only any use for HF switching noise, won't help with hum.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

pre65 wrote:
Nick wrote:Yes, but the SMPS in those cases were producing DC, not HF AC. I have found though that a couple of stages of CMC and caps will get the noise of most SMPS's down to the mv range.
Whats CMC ?

The SMPS on my 833a filament is a 12v one, and I use RCRC to get it down to 10V.
I was fortunate mine has sufficient adjustment.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

nickds1 wrote:
Why CMC - most SMPS OP noise is typically differential, not common mode.

Have you any measurements, specifically 'scope data on this - its interesting in that it certainly not what I would have expected - LCR/RCRC etc. I would expect to have significant impact, but a CMC? :scratch:
I did measure when doing this, but I dont have records. When I get a chance I will repeat and post the results.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
steve s
Shed dweller

Post by steve s »

Just catching as limited Internet in the caneries , the real issue with any power supply is the extra circuitry, if removing a hum pot can make an ac heated dht sound better to me, its clear to me that any cicuitry in that position can make a difference to the sound, better or worse?
What I don't subscribe to is that any ripple or ac on its own, should make make the stage sound worse..
There's more to it than that in my view, seeing what was measured as distortion on my px 25... is not really distortion, it just an extra signal that is being amplified, and shows up as not being on the input, just as any varied music source.
the amp amp and speakers should be able to reproduce that and the music signal without reducing the fidelity of the stage. I'm sure that will be the case when I eventually rebuild the amp. But time will tell.
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

Post by Ray P »

I started this thread as I'm planning to build Bruce Rozenblit's 300B OTL amp and I want to minimise noise from the AC filaments that have to be used with this amp - HF supplies seemed to be the way to go.

Anyway, Bruce has come up with his own solution and has designed a filament supply that takes the opposite approach and has come up with a 25Hz supply, below what most systems will reproduce. It'll be interesting how this pans out. No circuit details yet.

Ray
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

it is probably an excellent idea conscerning audio quality.

It requires a larger core and more turns per volt than 50hz. Core size would be experimental, (size for satisfactory noise and heat on test) then at 25hz compared to 50hz twice the turns per volt required, and so even larger core window (and therefore core) required for the same power. But working for you, once you have a larger core less turns per volt required than for smaller original core. So the two factors affect each other to your advantage. The net result is larger iron more turns but not double of either. it would be evaluated experimentally.

Conversly the Hf transformers are tiny little torroids with just a few turns.

So to make a long winded discussion succinct, near enough twice the size cost and weight to get down to 25hz or use high perm material which is cost prohibitive.

I like the idea though. Would be best to use a pure sign waveform at the 25hz. Might be issues with oscillation at 25hz wearing out speaker mechanicals; though unheard.

I am sure Bruce has a solution in mind.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

I am sure Bruce has a solution in mind.
I think the key point is

300B OTL amp
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
chris661
Shed dweller

Post by chris661 »

I'd doubt there'd be much output from the amplifier from the 25Hz hum, so I don't think speaker excursion would be a problem.

If there was significant 25Hz signal reaching the speakers, you'd get some very interesting sonic effects, particularly with single-driver systems.

Chris
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

IMHO, the problem with any form of AC heating is not the hum (25hz, 50hz, 50kHz) its the effect of the intermod products of the hum and signal, so with 25 hz, you get sidebands +- 25Hz instead of 50Hz