HF AC DHT Filament Supplies

What people are working on at the moment
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#1 HF AC DHT Filament Supplies

Post by Ray P »

I know high frequency AC supplies for DHT valves has been discussed here, and elsewhere, before but haven't been able to find much in the way of practical solutions, the nearest would seem to be this;

http://www.pmillett.com/hf_fil.htm

Alternative routes such as DC are more common; I know Tentlabs do a module and Andrew has mentioned something in the indirectly heated filament supply group buy thread.

Unfortunately, DC isn't an option in the amp I'm planning to build and given the possibility of some audible hum being present I would like to explore the HF possibilities further. I will need to supply four 300Bs and, due to the amp config that needs to be 10V @ 2.5A.

Does anyone have any pointers.

Ray
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Why is DC not an option, Ray?

I have a prototype DHT Heater sitting in front of me on the bench as we speak.

Andrew
Analogue, the lost world that lies between 0 and 1.
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

It's the topology of the circuit Andrew; its an OPT design using four 300Bs in a novel configuration.

Ray
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Ray P wrote:It's the topology of the circuit Andrew; its an OPT design using four 300Bs in a novel configuration.

Ray
Hmm, I'm curious now, can you show me a sketch of that part of the circuit?

Andrew
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

Andrew, I'll PM you some more info a little later; just been given my next task!

The design is in Bruce Rozenblit's book 'Tubes and Circuits' so I'm reluctant to be seen to be giving away his IPR on an open forum.

Ray
chris661
Shed dweller

Post by chris661 »

Hmmmm...

I know its solid-state, but...

If you used a 555-timer as a frequency generator (I'm told its possible), then connected its output to a chip amp of some kind (one that'll do 25w@4ohm comfortably - LM3886?), that'd do the job. You could pretty much use any frequency you like.

You'd need a dedicated power supply (needn't be massive) for the chip amp, and you're set.

Chris
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Ditto!! :D - EDIT: was meant to be a follow-on from Andrew's post

Crikey that's elaborate (Peter Millet's)

Coincidentally I have recently being toying with the idea of a buck converter DC supply using MC34063A, basically what's on page 8 here -

http://www.rapidonline.com/pdf/82-1088e.pdf

May need some extra external power transistor help depending how much current you want or to allow a safe margin. I figured a series resistor will help limiting initial current surge while filament is cold, ergo actual V-out is filament Volts + resistor drop.

What I like about it is much less heat generation so no big heatsinks, I mean to say this little 8-pin DIL chip can do 1.5 Amps on its own!

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

PS: I meant of course one buck reg per filament as the converter chip is < £1 each.

PPS: only needs one inductor, and I was thinking of this sort of thing:

http://www.rapidonline.com/Electronic-C ... ctor-31000

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

a 555 is square wave - would it matter? I'd have thought iti might.

There is an 8038 (I think) IC which gives you sine, square and sawtooth outputs - pr'aps the sine wave would be best?:
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
chris661
Shed dweller

Post by chris661 »

andrew Ivimey wrote:a 555 is square wave - would it matter? I'd have thought iti might.

There is an 8038 (I think) IC which gives you sine, square and sawtooth outputs - pr'aps the sine wave would be best?:
Ohh-er, didn't realise.

I suppose an RC filter would take off the HF mush, but if there's an IC that'll do it better, go with that IMO.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

Maybe I'm missing something here, but we go to great lengths (or we should) to keep RF out of our circuits. Yet here we are talking about injecting AM radio frequencies straight into the cathodes of directly heated triodes.
What a strange world.

BTW this is not meant to be a slight on HF heater supplies or anything else for that matter. I'm just curious, thats all :)
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Long time ago someone e-mailed me saying he'd had great success, and had I tried it. (I hadn't.) 100 kHz I believe it was.

Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Andrew wrote: I have a prototype DHT Heater sitting in front of me on the bench as we speak.

Andrew
Quick question from the chubby kid looking at couple of DHT's....Are you hoping to do a kit for the DHT heater board MrL? If yes, what sorta filament voltage and current would it be able to handle?

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Dave the bass wrote:
Andrew wrote: I have a prototype DHT Heater sitting in front of me on the bench as we speak.

Andrew
Are you hoping to do a kit for the DHT heater board MrL? If yes, what sorta filament voltage and current would it be able to handle?

DTB
Yes, I am, I need a few and so there's no sense in not doing it as a group buy, what VA do you need?

Andrew
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Andrew wrote: Yes, I am, I need a few and so there's no sense in not doing it as a group buy, what VA do you need?

Andrew
0.00000001W up to 1234567890MW....... thats fair enough innit!

Meanwhile back in reality, maybe a board that can be adapted to work with everything from a 26 up to say2A3/300B types?

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"