HF AC DHT Filament Supplies

What people are working on at the moment
Alex Kitic
Old Hand

Post by Alex Kitic »

Nick wrote: Given Mike has answered, just to correct another misfact.
Mike's answer got a rather precise answer (reply) with links for further reading and consideration, thus we cannot assume that what I sad was a "misfact".

As for the other "misfact":
Nick wrote:
Besides, this distortion seems to be caused by heating and cooling the filament at regular intervals (mains frequency)
No, it isn't, the thermal inertia of the filament is far higher than would allow this to happen.
In that case, Steve Bench obviously got it wrong:
http://diyaudioprojects.com/mirror/memb ... umbal.html

Because he states:
As mentioned in the introductory section, there is also an intermodulation effect caused by the minute temperature changes in the filament.
Nick wrote: If heating effect was the cause, then it would not be possible to affect it by the use of hum balancing pot.
Steve Bench (obviously wrong again???), explains:
This incrementally changes the transconductance of the device, leading to a modulation effect. This effect will be observable in SE and PP applications.
I apologize to Steve Bench for quoting him: but as it seems that I am a nobody (i.e. whatever I say I must be wrong because other people say so), I must resort to quote people who are better known and accepted than myself (sic!). Whatever needs to be done to pass the truth...

BTW, I wonder why S. Bench has stopped posting on forums in general? Has he gotten bored by repeating the same things all over again to deaf ears? Maybe it's my destiny as well...

It is gradually becoming unbelievable how much opposition does this HF AC for DH tubes heaters raise! I wonder what might be the cause?
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

But we are talking here about audio signals (the music) mixing with a signal which is in the worst case scenario 40kHz (2nd harmonic of the worse possible HF AC) while in most cases we are talking about at least 60kHz (cheap Chinese unit) and very often 120kHz (modern unit operating at around 60kHz, thus 2nd harmonic is 120kHz).
Not sure why you are taking the 2nd harmonic of your heater frequency, so lets start with a heater 60kHz signal and lets start with a 18kHz audio tone from your music. That will produce a sum and difference of 42kHz and 78k. Thats great you say, neither are audible. However, you seem to be ignoring that the maths produces a series, not a single term a you suggest, you will also get 24k, 6kHz which will be audible. You will also get much more complex terms. Its all clear in wiki

"So the output contains sinusoidal terms with frequencies at the sum i1 + i2 and difference i1 - i2 of the two original frequencies. It also contains terms at the original frequencies and at multiples of the original frequencies 2i1, 2i2, 3i1, 3i2, etc.; the latter are called harmonics, as well as more complicated terms at frequencies of Mi1 + Ni2, called intermodulation products."

This all happens before the transformer, so even if the transformer is band limited the terms in the audio band will get out. I am not making this up, I tried it 8 or more years ago, the intermod is audible.

But you will just .ignore this as before.
HF AC definitely has to overcome prejudice, that's how I see it.
Thats clearly how you see it, yes.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Alex Kitic wrote:BTW, I wonder why S. Bench has stopped posting on forums in general? Has he gotten bored by repeating the same things all over again to deaf ears? Maybe it's my destiny as well...
Steve Bench posted extensively until about 5 or 6 years ago, when he underwent a sex-change operation. He then continued to post, as Stephie Bench, though less often .
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
rowuk
Old Hand

#64 Proof is in the pudding

Post by rowuk »

I think that the whole AC heating thing can only be solved with data. After that, listening tests can confirm or deny.

We need to take a "typical" SE and PP amp and measure a couple of things

Filament/Heater frequency - what gets through the OPT?
F/Hf - is there intermodulation with the audio band?
F/Hf - is there intermodulation with the sampling frequencies of "soft filtered" DACs: 44.1k, 48k, 88.2k, 96k? Intermodulation with FM Stereo 19/38KHz?

Does the groundplane get noisier? Do we have to consider isolation from other stages?

We see in the case of the LDR, that a handful of graphs change the nature of the arguments from accusal/denial to searching for the reasons why data and sonics don't correlate. This is much more fruitful (and lower temperature). Thank you Nick!

I don't have a scope anymore and there may already be data that I don't know about. If we turned this over to DIYAudio, it would result in a 10000 post thread with no reliable conclusion.

The charm of a relatively inexpensive, cool running power supply for very big valves is undeniable. If it is reliable (seems to be) and sonically "inert", we would have a winner!
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

In that case, Steve Bench obviously got it wrong:
http://diyaudioprojects.com/mirror/memb ... umbal.html
It is possible, no one not even Stephie is perfect, later investigation indicates that its not a thermal effect.

http://www.dmitrynizh.com/filament-ac-freq.htm

In summary, if it was thermal, you would expect the effect to be indirectly proportional to the heating frequency. The above author found this was not the case.
but as it seems that I am a nobody (i.e. whatever I say I must be wrong because other people say so)
Well, that sounds like paranoia. Have you considered the possibility that you might be wrong because you are wrong?
It is gradually becoming unbelievable how much opposition does this HF AC for DH tubes heaters raise! I wonder what might be the cause?
Well, again, ignoring possible paranoia, in my case there is a simple reason:

I have tried it, and after the initial enthusiasm, I realised that there were sonic costs involved. After further investigation I determined that these costs were the result of intermod, which I had previously not considered.

I personally have absolutely no issue with your choice to use it, it matters not at all to me, however if you chose to push it on this forum as a perfect solution (one of your facts I assume) I will continue to detail the inherent problems. Up to this point, I see no effort on your part to address these problem, just to claim they dont exist.

Personally I distrust any attempt to create a dogma based bandwagon. I saw AudioAsylum destroyed by exactly the same thing. It will not happen here.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Alex Kitic
Old Hand

Post by Alex Kitic »

Nick wrote: Not sure why you are taking the 2nd harmonic of your heater frequency, so lets start with a heater 60kHz signal and lets start with a 18kHz audio tone from your music. That will produce a sum and difference of 42kHz and 78k. Thats great you say, neither are audible. However, you seem to be ignoring that the maths produces a series, not a single term a you suggest, you will also get 24k, 6kHz which will be audible. You will also get much more complex terms. Its all clear in wiki

"So the output contains sinusoidal terms with frequencies at the sum i1 + i2 and difference i1 - i2 of the two original frequencies. It also contains terms at the original frequencies and at multiples of the original frequencies 2i1, 2i2, 3i1, 3i2, etc.; the latter are called harmonics, as well as more complicated terms at frequencies of Mi1 + Ni2, called intermodulation products."

This all happens before the transformer, so even if the transformer is band limited the terms in the audio band will get out. I am not making this up, I tried it 8 or more years ago, the intermod is audible.

But you will just .ignore this as before.
I am not going to ignore, but I am getting tired and bored...

I am mentioning the 2nd harmonic because the first is nulled and what remains is the 2nd, as suggested by "yours" Dimitry. Maybe he is wrong, too?

Besides the fact that we are trying to combine a sine wave with an imperfect square wave, and the standard math does not explain the case (much more complicated calculation), and the fact that music is not a sine wave, the bottom line can be expressed as the magnitude of the resulting harmonics.

Thus, what is the magnitude of those harmonics, of which some are audible frequencies?

Once we establish the magnitude, we may guess whether they are audible, and under which conditions. Something that is 80dB below can easily be heard on efficient enough speakers, if amplified enough, without interfering signals (amplifier distortion, tube hiss... and why not, music playing?).

The reason why I an really getting bored is trying to prove that pigs can't fly - while everyone knows that they can if we shoot them from a large enough cannon!
Now the fact that we are not actually engaging in pigs shooting instead of plain farming, and that this is an unlikely activity obviously does not subtract validity or entertainment quality to a pig shoot contest?

If I was selling HF AC, I would probably indulge this further and try to dissuade the opponents. But I am neither selling nor in a position to sell, thus I must ask myself:
why such hard opposition - is it care for the wellbeing of fellow DiYers who might damage their hearing with audible HF AC artifacts and heterodyne byproducts - or the possibility that those hearing impaired DIYers (who have tried HF AC heating and thus damaged their hearing) might choose to forget about DC, thus making obsolete the various fancy voltage controlled current source solutions (current servo) that are considered top notch although even the authors acknowledge the basic flaw of DC heating (difference in potential i.e. bias between rhe two ends of the filament), and the solutions are horribly inefficient in electric terms (just rectifying means a loss of at least 62%, and there are additional losses in smoothing, regulation, current setting...) as well as thermal terms (a lot of heat being generated, depending on the heater requirements).

But since I am not (selling), I am frankly beginning to loose motivation: you are certainly going to win this war of attrition. No news from the heaters front: fancy commercial DC solutions reign supreme because DIYers have little knowledge and a lot of confidence, besides a lack of imagination and vision. After all, it's just a hobby they pursue for the sake of making stuff on their own in their spare time (it is more important to do something than accomplish something).
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

If I was selling HF AC, I would probably indulge this further and try to dissuade the opponents. But I am neither selling nor in a position to sell, thus I must ask myself:
why such hard opposition - is it care for the wellbeing of fellow DiYers who might damage their hearing with audible HF AC artifacts and heterodyne byproducts - or the possibility that those hearing impaired DIYers (who have tried HF AC heating and thus damaged their hearing) might choose to forget about DC, thus making obsolete the various fancy voltage controlled current source solutions (current servo) that are considered top notch although even the authors acknowledge the basic flaw of DC heating (difference in potential i.e. bias between rhe two ends of the filament), and the solutions are horribly inefficient in electric terms (just rectifying means a loss of at least 62%, and there are additional losses in smoothing, regulation, current setting...) as well as thermal terms (a lot of heat being generated, depending on the heater requirements).

But since I am not (selling), I am frankly beginning to loose motivation: you are certainly going to win this war of attrition. No news from the heaters front: fancy commercial DC solutions reign supreme because DIYers have little knowledge and a lot of confidence, besides a lack of imagination and vision. After all, it's just a hobby they pursue for the sake of making stuff on their own in their spare time (it is more important to do something than accomplish something).
But Alex, you are selling, you are selling Alex.

I am not suggesting that expensive complex commercial heater supplies are the alternative, others elsewhere may be doing that, but don't bring their arguments to me. Elsewhere others here have been working on what he thinks is the best solution, and has been making the bits available at cost, but doesnt feel the need to post every time a valve is mentioned that his is the best solution. You have detailed how to do it, and why you think its a good thing. I have explained why when I tried it I decided against it. People can read, if they are interested then they will try it, and ask you about it. But all I see at the moment is you pushing your solution. To my mind thats spam like behaviour. And BTW, I don't accept that DC heating has that basic flaw, I just got tired of that discussion.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#68 Re: Proof is in the pudding

Post by Mike H »

rowuk wrote: The charm of a relatively inexpensive, cool running power supply for very big valves is undeniable. If it is reliable (seems to be) and sonically "inert", we would have a winner!
SMPS will do that too. (DC)

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Alex Kitic
Old Hand

#69 Re: Proof is in the pudding

Post by Alex Kitic »

Mike H wrote:
rowuk wrote: The charm of a relatively inexpensive, cool running power supply for very big valves is undeniable. If it is reliable (seems to be) and sonically "inert", we would have a winner!
1) SMPS is DC, and thus the filamentary cathode is not at the same potential from end to end. Even Rod Coleman is aware of that issue and mentions it: but he compares DC to 50Hz AC with the obvious hum reduction possible with DC.

2) SMPS is less efficient than HF AC since there is one more rectification stage involved, and probably another regulation stage.
The higher efficiency of SMPS is due to the substitution of a large transformer with a stage that is closely related to HF AC, or better, to the "half bridge".
rowuk
Old Hand

#70 Re: Proof is in the pudding

Post by rowuk »

Mike H wrote:
I tried that. 5V supplies starved the filaments on the RH307A amp that I am using so I am not sure if the sound was more due to that or the SMPS.

In any case, they were only connected for a weekend. The size of the presentation on symphonic music shrunk dramatically. Nice black background. The instruments sounded pretty much the same, no extra HF garbage noticed. It also sounded like the string players were not "playing together", rather everyone doing their own thing. I guess we could call the sound "in your face". Some Queen HiRes recordings sounded great. Plenty of slam, imaging in the hifi sense was good. The same was true with my sons DreamTheater CDs. Choral music lost the entire size of the group. A 50 voice choir sounded like 20 in a much smaller room. Some quirky things happened in the voices - like tenors that sometimes got really nasal just on one or two notes in their midrange.

I added 20000uF caps between the SMPS and the filaments. No difference whatsoever.

So, my experiment with 2 different types of 5V SMPS 2 A and 5A I do not consider to be a success with DHT output tubes. Weight and presentation suffered on the music that I listen to. If I was into Bonsai plants, this would probably be a musically similar concept.

My phono preamp is SS as the valve one is not finished yet........

Ortofon MC30/T30 transformer, the rest of my kit is in the thread Rowuks playback.

Short list of what I listened to:
Bruckner 8th Symphony Minnesota Orchestra Eiji Oue (HiRes - very emotional reading)
Bruckner 7th Symphony Concertgebouw Orchestra Haitink (Analog - fits like an old shoe - the music is just there where it belongs)
Bach Mass in B minor Tübinger Kantatenchor Achenbach (Analog - screechy trumpets but incredible choral presentation)
Telemann "Du, aber Daniel" Monteverdi Chor Hamburg/Jürgens (Analog - very convincing presentation - no pinpoint imaging, rather just like row 5 in a church with great acoustics)
Mendelssohn Octet Academy of St. Martins in the Fields (Analog, one of my references for space and color)
Queen Another one bites the Dust (HiRes)
Entre Cada Palabre Marta Gomez (HiRes - major discovery for 2013!)
The Real Group Stämning (CD)
Rheinberger Missa in Eb Kammerchor Stuttgart/Bernius (CD Very fine reading)
Dream Theater Octavarium (AAC download - VERY good!)
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Have stopped watching this topic. Sheesh! Life is too short

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Alex Kitic
Old Hand

Post by Alex Kitic »

Mike H wrote:Have stopped watching this topic. Sheesh! Life is too short
Seems like a good idea. In 10 years time it will probably be standard for direct heated tubes. Until then, enjoy what you are used to using for the heaters ;)