Lilliput Single Ended Amp

What people are working on at the moment
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

Interestingly when I settled on the 112a I was using Ariels, For the whole time I used Ariels I was chasing a hard midrange. I knew it wasn't the speakers because the erudite Mr Olson spoke so well of the selected midrange unit. I therefore knew it was me at fault.

So I kept on evolving my amps to try and achieve sounds I knew I had before, not understanding what had gone wrong. The closest I got to happiness was the 112a but there was still absence of something I used to have.

Then one day I got some cheap speakers at the selling agency plugged them in, and out came a gorgious midrange and the amp suddenly was sorted.

Been pig sick about it ever since.

What was it Klipsh said? "We live in the midrange".

I don't care how flat a line on a graph your speakers can simulate, if they don't have that midrange I know is there, they are no good.
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Seems OK to me Nick.
ed
retired

Post by ed »

I don't care how flat a line on a graph your speakers can simulate, if they don't have that midrange I know is there, they are no good.
Paul, what about the thought that you might have got the stuffing wrong?

Please, please please stop slagging off those speakers. I appreciate you've lost £1000 here and it leaves a bitter taste but your criticisms don't sit with my findings at all. This leaves me to think that maybe your postings on the ariels ought to carry the IMO qualification......

just a thought
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

Hi Guys and thanks for the concern.

I had an unexpected day off today so getting back on the metaphorical horse that threw me, I spent the morning rebuilding the power supply and changing the ECC88 first stage for another 5687.

I then visited one of my contacts at my old workplace and got him to PAT test the amp, just to be sure there was nothing untoward.

Anyway we have a much better range on the volume and the little thing sounds very nice indeed with the 5687s.
All I need to do now is see if Stanley B can sell me a new analogue board for the DAC.

I've had the odd "ooyahbastad" moment with this hobby but never anything like that. Somehow it feels good to be alive today. :)

Steve
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
andrew Ivimey

Post by andrew Ivimey »

glad to see you are back in the saddle!
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

Thanks Andrew :)

Anyway I have the gain structure just about spot on now. Input and driver stages are now sans bypass caps. I'm only using common Maplin polyprop interstage coupling caps.

What does the panel think might be a good choice of cap to replace these? I have a pair of Jensen paper-in-oils but I find them a little bit grey sounding.
I've not really been into cap tweaking and mostly use bog standard components after the disappointing sound I got from the Jensens.

Steve
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

I am prepared to accept that I might have had three bad pairs of vifa drivers ED. They sound just as bad in an mltl.

But on this forum i won't qualify my statements with imho that is not we are about, of course it's my opinion and of course your mileage may vary if you dont' realise that is inherent this is the wrong place for you.

I shall carry on speaking as I find.

I still have a pair of the vifa drivers on ebay if you want them.
Last edited by Paul Barker on Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

What sort of value are you thinking of Steve? Want to try some more 470nF Russian PIOs?
andrew Ivimey

Post by andrew Ivimey »

or Russian Teflons - total value for money.... er and they are rather big too.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

Thanks guys

Simon -I 'll try those Russian PIOs if you don't mind. I'll pick up those sockets as well :wink:

Andrew - I like the idea also of the Russian teflons. I don't really want to be spending a fortune on boutique caps. I presume these are on eBay.

Steve
andrew Ivimey

Post by andrew Ivimey »

They are indeed! KWtubes, Alexer1, hml hml, and that's just for starters though its a funny thing (I'm naiive), whether in Lithuania Georgia or Moscow, they are all pretty much the same price!

I could send you some small value teflons if you wanted to parallel something else. 0.033 @ 630volts. It would be an interesting experiment perhaps?
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

That'd be nice Andrew.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

No problem Steve, let me know when you want to pop over.

I've also got a pair of Audio Note 470nF coppers which I've been meaning to compare against the Ruskies but never got around to it. Not sure my hearing's good enough anyway. You're welcome to give them a go too.
steve s
Shed dweller

Post by steve s »

all my amps use audio note or jenson copper foils
i think they are jensons in the 2p amp

not grey sounding at all .

glad to hear your ok steve
the odd belt that you live through is ok..

think of it as a 'free' lesson
...you won't do that again...

steve
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

Hi Steve

The Jensens I have are their standard range of aluminium foil PIO caps. The copper foils with their silver leads are supposed to be better but I never bought them.

Steve