A 2 or 3-channel SE 'Horn-amp'

What people are working on at the moment
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

pre65 wrote:
SteveTheShadow wrote: The Melquiades amplifier is the best in the world. Nothing but NOTHING comes close.
Sorry, but I thought the BAITW (best amp in the world) came from Dartford ?

I'm sure that's what DTB told me. :lol: :lol:
Ah yes,
Sorry Dave, I retract that statement wholeheartedly. :D
Last edited by Cressy Snr on Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Sorry if I went a bit far Nick, I'm a bit out of sorts, Michelle was taken into hospital last night with meningitis.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Ali Tait wrote:Sorry if I went a bit far Nick, I'm a bit out of sorts, Michelle was taken into hospital last night with meningitis.
Hi Ali, sorry to hear that. :(

My thoughts are with you both. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Thanks Phil, thankfully they have now discovered it's the viral type, so unpleasant rather than dangerous. She's quite poorly though.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Hello Roman.
I think it's nice to have you here, but it will take a little while for our regulars to adjust to your style .

If it will help at all, here is Romy's site ( front page ) :
http://www.goodsoundclub.com/

and the circuit of the 6-channel 'Melquiades' amp :
http://www.goodsoundclub.com/Forums/Sho ... ostID=4973
( go to page 7 for latest circuit ) .
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Ali Tait wrote:Sorry if I went a bit far Nick, I'm a bit out of sorts, Michelle was taken into hospital last night with meningitis.
Ali: No worries, hope things get them self sorted out ASAP, best wishes to her.

Hi Romy, happy to have you here, I am sure once the ripples of the shock of the new spread out normal levels of discussion will return from all directions.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Thanks Nick, have just picked her up from the hospital. Given she has neutropenia (little or no immune system) from the last lot of chemo, the consultant has said she will be much safer at home!
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Hi Ali,

Regardless of your family woes, what you said was very pertinent and reasonable. You have nothing to apologise for.

I wish Michelle all the very best for a rapid recovery. You guys have certainly been through a war and you deserve a break.

Greg
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
Douglas Adams (HHGTTG)
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Thanks Greg, much appreciated.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Hey Ali - I'm playing 'Graceland' on Pieter Trieurniet's new step-up transformers in your honour, hoping the warmth and positive vibe can permeate the aether over to you . Pass on my warmest regards please !
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Thanks Mark!

Icing on the cake - I'm getting the flu, and no it's not man flu!

Hopefully that's all the bad luck over with for this year...

Oh yes, forgot to mention, trashed the cantilever on my two month old 103r the other week... :cry:
ed
retired

Post by ed »

IslandPink wrote:Hello Roman.
I think it's nice to have you here, but it will take a little while for our regulars to adjust to your style .
Interesting take Mark....I see Nick echoed it in a slightly different way on another thread.....

It's curious why the many always seem to have to adjust for the one, instead of the one adjusting for the many.......

I've done a little browsing on the subject and as Lynn says, it could be entertaining.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

It's curious why the many always seem to have to adjust for the one, instead of the one adjusting for the many
Because IMHO if the above was more common this history of the world would have been much happier.

I don't think anyone is suggesting anyone needs to "adjust" I was thinking more of "accept differences" or "be cool about it".
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

Post by Ray P »

Nick wrote:
It's curious why the many always seem to have to adjust for the one, instead of the one adjusting for the many
Because IMHO if the above was more common this history of the world would have been much happier.

I don't think anyone is suggesting anyone needs to "adjust" I was thinking more of "accept differences" or "be cool about it".
Nick, normally I go with you as I too have a tendency to avoid unnecessary confrontation as things tend to settle down as you describe but I think this is different; IMO this guy has pitched up here and started to behave like a playground bully and his posts ooze aggression. Unchallenged, he will become more confident and the behaviours will get worse and may come to define this site.

Just to make it clear, I have no problem with what he says, it's how he says it and the words he chooses - what was described as his 'style' - which actually devalue what he has to say.

Just my tuppence worth.

Ray
Romy The Cat
User

#105 Re: A 2 or 3-channel SE 'Horn-amp'

Post by Romy The Cat »

IslandPink wrote:Good evening .
Thought I'd just share this, might be of interest .
It is a partner to the other thread, in the speaker section :

I've set myself a target of bringing something useful along to Owston next time we meet. I reckon I can get 1-off mid-bass horn and a HF horn into the car, but I'd better have a suitable ( portable ) amp available to drive it.

The amp will have two or more channels , each with a suitable filter slope incorporated . I shall start off with two channels ; if I can fit the filter bit for the low bass ( tapped horn ) into the box, that will be attempted too .

I have just ordered one of the bigger Hammond wood-frame-aluminium-top-plate boxes from Phil at Bluebell Audio .

Here is the rough idea of the circuit . The bit that needs development is the 'enhanced' cathode-follower bit .
IslandPink,

Here a replay to you initial post of the thread. I did look at your schematic of Milq Lite, here is a few comments.

I do not know what the input state does in there and what phone level input you are willing to implement. You never will be able any sensible RIAA with one state even if you have very high cartridge output. Even if you come up with some crazy solutions then the gain that you get with one state would not be enough to flood Milq's input stage. You will be losing 20dB 9in RIAA EQ, it will be juts no gain with one state even if you go with pentodes. Now, the Milq input stage is 6E5/6P which is a perfect tube for high voltage line level application. It has 4.5V bias that assures that no cathode feedback the input tube will not go to A2. It is only very few DACs will put out 4V-5V at 0dB digital but most of front end never will do more 2V. Having high bias and ability to accommodate high input voltage the 6E5/6P can swing 33dB and to push 35mA - enough to driver anything that do not resist with grid current. That was the whole idea if Milq - two stages only, deep A1 and no feedback. If you wiling use my 6E5/6P then use the Milq-style bias with gas tubes and grid resistor - it is essential for this tube. You might use any other tube you wish but if you want to call it Milq then use my bias as it define the 80% of the amp's sound. So, I think it will take care about the question mark you have in the driver cathode...

Ok, let see more. The capacitive coupling in MF channel. - I find that it did not work for me unless you go with dialectic-free capacitors and I did in phonostage. However, with .001u it will be hard to do. So, go with LR filtration on driver grid and flip the MF to direct coupling floating everything on PS. The 6E5/6P is VERY stage tube and you will not have any problem to drive IDHT grid with it.

The use of 2A3 type tube to drive Fane is questionable. I do not know what horn you use and what size of your room but you might not have power to do it. I would like you to have more power but then you enter into a totally different subject as to use different output tubes in DSET application is complex and would require some intricate harmonic dancing during output state loading. It not always works however.

There are few other things that I do not like in there but all together if I were you then I would not do anything in DASE at this point. Get one SET; make it perform with your acoustic system up the level that you like with passive filtration. Then run prototypes of that SET that you know with individual channels. It is very good to make a maket of let say Milq or any other amp the you want, juts fully working model on a table with no box and then play with applying it to all channels. With some experience it is possible to visualize it conceptually just on paper but, trust me, you do want to get THAT experience on your own. Also, I absolutely assure you that during your DSET experiments you will change a lot your opinions about your own original design idea and objectives.