EL34 / KT66 SET

What people are working on at the moment
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Well yet another take on the rocky nice but when dose rocky stop being rocky well I would say after Steve the shadow built his version sorry just my view . As I am trying to Build the original version as I know it the JE labs EL34 and yes I know it's taken me forever to do this but well it's down to a bit off ill health and off course money at the moment not working due to the ill health you see so things are hard at the mo and ideas tend to go along then shop just need to get a 10 H choke and the caps for the psu anyone got a spare Choke to lend or buy cheap trouble is my speakers will not handle the EL34 amp to well at 89 db and yep but my fostex 126s are waiting for someone to build the frugal horns for me seems funny thou that some seen to rave about the frugal horn but known won seems to have built a set to confirm this big question mark on that if they are suppose to be that good ???
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Whats in a name? You may have noticed I dont give my "creations" names, it means they become fixed in my view, they should be works in progress. Paul made the good point that once a amp is in a box, its dead, it ceases to develop, and its true, on a breadboard (as untidy as possible, otherwise its gust a box without sides), there is little to hold you from making changes. The moment the box appears, its harder to make that experimental change. Just my ranting though, we are all different, all do it for different reasons. I also have things in boxes so go figure :-)

I built a set of Frugal horns some years ago now. Mo still has them, he thought/thinks they were great. I thought they were very good also, they were what set me on the path of new speakers that eventually got me to the OB's I have now.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Yes I've heard them and thought they were good too.
ed
retired

Post by ed »

Nick wrote:Whats in a name? You may have noticed I dont give my "creations" names, it means they become fixed in my view, they should be works in progress.
not sure I agree entirely here......rocky, son of rocky, bastard spawn of rocky as built by mike holmes, etc etc works for me

anyway names are childish, and that's right up my street...

I suppose we could go to numbers, yeah, rubs chin in dtb fashion......instead of site admin you could be number 2, yeah....and I could be number 6....

mmm I think I'd better go and make some sawdust
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I am not a number ... but I am 'enchained', in chains and enchanted; a rose by any other name would smell as sweet!

Rocky Schmocky - they all sound rubbish - ducks! ek ek ek ek ek ek eke
clunk (rock hits on back of head, unheeded)

Its a beautiful day today.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Not a bad day at all. The dustmen emptied my green bin today so I'm out in the garden filling it up again.

Last night I was using KT66, and it is more "civilised" than EL34, perhaps a tad too much ?

Would be nicer to have something in between the two. :wink:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Nice one Phil, congrats on the new amp.

Project names. Very important IMO. If you called a project 'Brick', sure it wouldn't evolve cos it's not a living thing innit buuuuuuttttttttttttt if you give it a lovely name like 'Daffodil' you can watch it unfurl and evolve into a beautiful thing over time.

Ok, eventually it'll wither and die but then like bunging the dead 'Daffodil' onto the compost heap (read as - 'parts box under the stairs') it'll be re-used and give life to another wonderful thing like...say ... for instance.... 'Llama'. Llama then goes on and grows into a wonderful big Llama and Mr Llama meets Mrs Llama and they do Llama jiggy's and make likkle baybee Llama's who in-turn grow and develop.

...or summat :-)

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
ed
retired

Post by ed »

Yo the bass

today, especially, you're so full a poo!!

re the kt66 thing Phil, when I first built son of rocky Steve brought some vintage kt66s for me to try...I believe they were NOS but he may confirm/deny that if his memory goes back that far...anyway, I lived with them for a couple of weeks and they were as you describe....completely took the fire out of the amp...more socky(wool version) than rocky.....
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

ed wrote:Yo the bass

today, especially, you're so full a poo!!
S'True :lol:

Shurrup Transistor boyeee :lol:

DTB
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

ed wrote:
Nick wrote:Whats in a name? You may have noticed I dont give my "creations" names, it means they become fixed in my view, they should be works in progress.
not sure I agree entirely here......rocky, son of rocky, bastard spawn of rocky as built by mike holmes, etc etc works for me

anyway names are childish, and that's right up my street...

I suppose we could go to numbers, yeah, rubs chin in dtb fashion......instead of site admin you could be number 2, yeah....and I could be number 6....

mmm I think I'd better go and make some sawdust
Yes, but the action of applying names to things fixes them in our mind, it almost timestamps them into the point where the name was applied, somehow in our minds all the rockies become connected, and this defines the boundaries of whatever the thing we call rocky can be.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

And because they all end in EL34, they all sound similar? So it is EL34 that defines this amp? could be, could be.

I throw this in becasue I was thinking about the old chestnut; Mr Ramsay's 'Loftin White', like Rocky, it came from somewhere else but then once we have acknowledged that ( and our Steve makes no bones about that) we move on.

That LW I worked on and worked on and replaced every component eventually 'upgrading' and so on until I'd spent about £1100, I think all in all. It sounded better, YES! but it still had the same er, 'rock and roll' sound (how can it get that loud!) signature that first got me beguiled with LW#1, ... a few years ago now.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

andrew Ivimey wrote:And because they all end in EL34, they all sound similar? So it is EL34 that defines this amp? could be, could be.

I throw this in becasue I was thinking about the old chestnut; Mr Ramsay's 'Loftin White', like Rocky, it came from somewhere else but then once we have acknowledged that ( and our Steve makes no bones about that) we move on.

That LW I worked on and worked on and replaced every component eventually 'upgrading' and so on until I'd spent about £1100, I think all in all. It sounded better, YES! but it still had the same er, 'rock and roll' sound (how can it get that loud!) signature that first got me beguiled with LW#1, ... a few years ago now.
So how might a 6S4s LW sound compared to a "proper" 2A3 ? It is on my list of things to consider, except my decent OPT are 5K. :?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Nick wrote:
Yes, but the action of applying names to things fixes them in our mind, it almost timestamps them into the point where the name was applied, somehow in our minds all the rockies become connected, and this defines the boundaries of whatever the thing we call rocky can be.
I dunno, I don't think it does, you can always add or take away from the name or add '-esque' if its of a certain genre but i think it's a handy to name summat to describe where it's come from or even going (evolving into) , it doesn't kill its development or bring it to an end necessarily. It's the direction/thirst for knowledge of the builder thats under analysis here i reckon, not the amp itself.

Gotta think outside the box (maaaahn!). Oh hang on.... isn't that where we came in...... :-)

DTB
ed
retired

Post by ed »

I'm not entirely sure this debate has a logical focus.....

I entirely hear what Nick is saying.....but...in the real world nearly all projects have a name, which usually changes during the transition from prototype to release........because this need for identity/identification is so strong in industry we usually get versioning in collusion with naming...capri mk1, capri mk2 etc....

and this has spun off into other areas: Rocky1, Rocky2 ....Rocky17(Hollywood by the way, not audio-talk)

At some very basic level I think we(humans) have a very real need for the identification that naming brings......

fwiw I think you're going against the grain Nick, theres something very alien going on inside your head.....cue species3 :lol:

diet: the preceding is entirely specious, not to be confused with species.
diet2: and contains a superb split infinitive....spot the split infinitive :lol:
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

fwiw I think you're going against the grain Nick, theres something very alien going on inside your head.....cue species3
You may be right there Ed :-)