What people are working on at the moment
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Something not like this...

simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Andrew wrote:I'll send an updated parts list, schem and layout for your documentation package.
Andrew, Colin,

I'm getting an order together - is the revised parts list available by any chance? Particularly interested in which heatsinks are recommended. I'm quite happy with the way the skin on my hands is and I don't fancy the Dave The Bass school of speccing heatsinks by touch and degrees of skin removal :lol:.
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

I hope to try some new ones out from Rapid, but I got home late tonight and so no time for experimentation, will tomorrow be OK?

cheers,

-- Andrew
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Hi Colin,

Do you want a circuit for the regulated heater supply? Or do you already have one?

cheers,

-- Andrew
Last edited by Andrew on Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

Post by izzy wizzy »

If using the regulator, then try something like this.

cheers,

Stephen
Attachments
c3gaikido.gif
c3gaikido.gif (20.87 KiB) Viewed 6095 times
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

OK a quick look at heatsinks, I currently have 20deg/Watt on my test board an they seem OK, reasonably cool to the touch, however, I don't think these are man enough for the first MJE340 to sink full power, which is required if the unit is shorted to ground.

Rapid's 36-0150 are 17deg/watt and 36-0170 are 10.5deg/watt might be even better, but are a bit wider but may just fit on the layout I used.

Picture of the reg to follow.

cheers,

-- Andrew
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Andrew wrote:I hope to try some new ones out from Rapid, but I got home late tonight and so no time for experimentation, will tomorrow be OK?

cheers,

-- Andrew
No problem at all, I'm not in any rush. Happy to wait until you're happy :).

I'd prefer to use Rapid (cos they're cheap :D) but they don't seem to do the BZX84C15L zener. Are there any suitable alternatives that they stock?
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Thanks Stephen, that makes more sense. Am I not going to lose 80V doing this though?
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Apologies for the crap pic -but you get the idea....
Attachments
reg.jpg
reg.jpg (113.87 KiB) Viewed 6079 times
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

simon wrote:
Andrew wrote:I hope to try some new ones out from Rapid, but I got home late tonight and so no time for experimentation, will tomorrow be OK?

cheers,

-- Andrew
No problem at all, I'm not in any rush. Happy to wait until you're happy :).

I'd prefer to use Rapid (cos they're cheap :D) but they don't seem to do the BZX84C15L zener. Are there any suitable alternatives that they stock?
I'm going to order form Farnell soon, I can add some if needs be, however, I suspect you won't find caps that have a suitable voltage rating at Rapid....do let me know if you do.

cheers,

-- Andrew
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

That would be great Andrew, but when I checked Farnell they only had the US stock, and though they are only tuppence a go there's a £15.95 delivery charge. RS has them for 6p a pop.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

but they don't seem to do the BZX84C15L zener. Are there any suitable alternatives that they stock?
BZX55C15 47-3036

Should be fine.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Thanks Nick. Kits are just too easy :wink:.
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

Post by izzy wizzy »

I didn't really look too hard to see what current was being pulled by the stages. The idea is to isolate the stages from one another as there is substantial LF boost that causes motorboating at worst or a bloat in the lower frequencies if mild. Regulators control the tendency to LF drift by brute force. Valve regs aren't quite as brutal in this regard as their SS cousins. Passive solutions less so again. The idea is to isolate the 1st stage from the 2nd so they don't interfere with each other. Therefore it is a trade off as to how much volts you can spare to achieve this. Lower volt drop (smaller R) may mean a bit more capacitance. I tend to choose a C I have handy and increase the R until it sounds stable. Hope this helps with the ideas. Just fiddle about until it sounds right.

cheers,

Stephen
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Andrew wrote:
Do you want a circuit for the regulated heater supply? Or do you already have one?
Andrew, the only schematic of the regulated power supply I have is the one you posted early on in page 2 in this thread. Is this still up to date or have you changed anything on this since?

Colin