Best output TXs for the money help

We all start somewhere
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

the waiting list is about 6 months
They are getting better, they went through a period of being very very busy last year, I think they have taken on extra people to do some of the simpiler jobs (Chokes). I think there is only one person who winds audio TX's, so that does limit the throughput. But they will never be off the shelf for bespoke items.

I feel a bit akward about this, I hope those that know me, realise I am not on commission or anything from AE, but I have been consistently happy with what they have done, and find it hard not to pass that on.
They'll cost about £400 plus shipping
Hmm, well I might be in danger of upsetting you Simon (:-)), but it might be a bit less than that, its never going to be "cheap", for that I would happly recommend Jan at AJF. I don't think I would be letting any secrets out of the bag, if I said Colin paid less than that for his GM70 outputs. Though that was part of the bigger order for the amp.

As it happens I spoke to them yesterday, about some TX's for the 6c33c amp (the cheap chinese TX's I got were a total pile of poo, not worth using to hold the door open with), the winder is on holiday for the next ten days, so there is no point asking for a quote (or at least if you did, don't expect a answer untill after then).
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Last time I spoke to them, which was probably last September maybe, they said they were taking someone on. Looks like things are improving then.

I was going off their website for rough prices. When I ordered my c cores they were 188 euros a pair, but as part of my larger order including 4 chokes, a WKZ and a couple of Mundorfs they charged me 140 euros. I was very pleased with that I have to say.

I wouldn't say you've upset me Nick, but you've certainly given me something to think about... :D
Nick wrote:(the cheap chinese TX's I got were a total pile of poo, not worth using to hold the door open with)
:lol: :lol: :lol: Are these cheap ebay jobs?
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Are these cheap ebay jobs
Yes. Its the second pair of TX's from the same place, the first was crap, but others on WD have argued for ages that the make (Eastern Audio) is great.

Next time, I will believe my own experence.

Maybe I have the two crap pairs they made, but I doubt it. In both cases the problem was a lack of inductance (and high leakage inductance), there seems to be no material in the gap, so maybe they are used to making PP TX's, or maybe they are just crap.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Maybe I have the two crap pairs they made
That would be very unlucky indeed...
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Hi All
Well it back too reality I think after reading a review on the Hammond 1627 TX it seems it good in the bass but recessed mid /top so will leaf well alone no real info on sowter price a bit high so best options open are
Ask Jane ATH38.3 100 mA DC 25Watt £145;00
AE C-core 2K5 /3K5 90 / 80mA 15 Watt £133.00 plus shipping
James 6123HS - 2.5K/3.5K/5K,120mA 20W £207
As there not much info on the Jans around I think its down to the AEs or James
Judging by some of you on here the A.Es gets the winning vote :roll:
Although I have read that the unused taps can act as aerials is this a problem or am I just being critical
Thanks
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

You can get no useful guidance reading reviews or formulating or believing theories. All you have of any value to aid in the decision is people you can trust that have heard what you are asking about. Better still your own ears, If tht information isn't available to you it is a pure lottery. Most reviews are over positive and contain bias from people with a vested interest, even if that interest only extends to the fact that after the review they will keep (steel) the product.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

just a little note about eastern audio transformers. Some of you will have heard a pair with 6C33s at Witham. I don't think anyone thought they were 'poo' at all. I also hav esoem 3.5k / 5K ones which sound pretty good enough to knock up a 45 SE amp, and I've had the 10k ones in the forst incarnationof Ongaku. Audionote transformers are better but the easterns worked, fine.

I do not herald these as the best or excellent blah blah, I don'y know how much they differ one by one but the ones I have had were at the very least very good value for money. I too llike AEs and have a couple and I like James so ... oh yes, I have quite a few hammonds and yes very good value for money until the latest price hike .....

so what am I saying ... you gets what you pays for but that is too simple. I liked Paul's posting about ten postings back. I finally spent over eleven hundred pounds on getting the loftin white about as perfect as I could. Lovely!

I'm off to the river to wash the water buffalo.

somewhere south Of Da Nang ! see you when I get back ...
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

just a little note about eastern audio transformers. Some of you will have heard a pair with 6C33s at Witham. I don't think anyone thought they were 'poo' at all.
As always, I can only talk about what I have direct experence of. Both pairs of Eastern Audio I have are "poo". It must just be me then :-(

Both of them suffer from far too little inductance, so bass starts rolling off below about 80hZ.

The the 6c33c ones I have roll the top end off very early, about -3dB at 30k (ish), for a 300R:8R transformer I hoped for a lot more. May be related to the lams looking about 0.5mm thick, not sure just what effect that would have (Paul?)

Then again, they only cost £80 for the pair, including shipping.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Actuallt, I take a little of the "poo"-ness back, they actually sound ok, but hey still need a bit more bass extension, and more treble extension.

But for £80 I guess they are good value.
shaun
User

Post by shaun »

sorry to jump in late on this

i have AE 5k 80ma C-cores on my 45's and to be honest they sound fab. i was using Hammonds before which in terms of value for money where a bargain and great for a beginer like me to experiment with. the hammonds sounded good for the money to. 8)

i paid 177euro for the pair for the AE which i think was a very resonable price for a nicely finished TX.

the only down side was the 4 month delivery time but i understand things are much better in that department now.

i guess it comes down to what you have to spend

if it where me i'd have the AE they are just good regardless of price

take care

shaun
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Dunno if anyones interested but Ianm2 over on the WD BB has some SE TX's for sale, he's having a clear out. http://www.wduk.worldomain.net/forum/sh ... php?t=3351

I'm tempted to treat Komrade DHTski to a pair of 3K SE TX's so I don't have to break up 6EM7.

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Ian
User

Post by Ian »

I have sold most of them, I still have a few left, I with Andrew liked the sound of the easterns, I never measured them, tho', and was simply telling on my opinion of the sound, electrically, they may well be poo, which would taint my opinion if they were that bad, they are great for a starter, but for a more serious amp, obviously pay more.

I think most people may not notice limited inductance, as of the room size, ie cannot support low freqs, or speakers don't go down that low, so think perhaps those should be taken into account when buying tx's.

the distortion may be audible. I saw a fascinating measurement on diyaudio about 'cheap' se tx's, and the big hammonds distorted as much as some pretty small ones, shocking. I will find the link if anyone is interested.

my instincts are in sllight opposition to Paul, I like the advise of langford smith, who says increase core size, however, I haven't heard posh cores side by side, so cannot say that excellent small core is better/worse than large M6, Paul is experienced, and his views are valid.

Nicks words are good, he trusted others words and was disappointed, at the end of the day, you have to go with your own instincts on what is good. to a certain extent you get what you pay for, or go for a named brand
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Darren wrote:
In return you could have a go with those Japanese toroids I've just got hold of, 5K 4&8R, 250ma
Hi Darren-i was thinking of purchasing a pair of these-what do you think of them ?

Out of interest,where did you source your pair ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Ian
User

Post by Ian »

steer clear philip, I have been informed they have no air gap, even tho they are s.e.
Darren
Old Hand

Post by Darren »

As I understand it toroids don't need an air gap?

Best ask Nick or Paul.

Philip, I've not tried mine yet, Len has my 833 amp at the mo.