New fullrange speaker project

We all start somewhere
Waves73
User

#1 New fullrange speaker project

Post by Waves73 »

Hi all,
Being new to DIY speakers I've chosen to start by building an enclosure based on the Pensil design. At the moment I'm looking at using either the Mark Audio CHP70 Gen 2 driver or the Fostex FE103 EN. Being primarily used with an AV amp and TV set up, I know the CHP70's aren't really designed for this but am interested in anyone's feedback and experience with theses drivers.

Regards, Mark
chris661
Shed dweller

Post by chris661 »

Fostex typically have a fairly forward sound, whereas the Mark Audio tend to be more relaxed in comparison.

I'm curious - what do you think the CHP70s were intended for? They're not particularly efficient, so flea-watt valve amps are rarely useful unless you're in a small room.

Chris
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

For a first forray into FR single driver speakers I think the Pensil series are an ideal introduction, if you want a floor standing speaker. They are quite easy to build. Make sure you build them with the removable rear panel. Makes adjustment to the Dacron interenal damping much easier. When you are happy with the damping tuning you can always permanently glue on the rear baffles.

Young Chris661 has hit the nail on the head regards the basic difference in MA and Fostex. If it was me and Fostex was my preferred choice I think I would go with one of the well recieved FF series of drivers rather than the FE126. Worth a look in my opinion.

If you want a stand-mount or bookshelf speaker then DaveD @ Planet10 has many a suitable design. But I'm sure you know this having come over to us from DiyAudio, hey :wink:

Again I would ignore the old debate regards PLY versus MDF. If you are on a budget then for the Pensils as a first project 18mm MDF will be fine. If you can afford the extra £35 (or thereabouts) then I would go with 18mm Baltic Birch Ply.

I can recommend a supplier of the PLY or MDF to you. These offer a CNC saw cut service for full-size sheets. But you have to collect in person.