What is SPICE

We all start somewhere
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

I'm going to need AC, Phil !
Ok, I'm having difficulty finding the window ( 'Source configuration window' ) which is shown below , snipped from the tutorial link :
Attachments
window1.JPG
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

I just had a closer look at Stephie's INVRIAA.txt file, and I see this has a voltage source embedded at the start .... so I need to try and 'call' this file to provide the source, for this RIAA circuit .

Edit : OK, I managed to call it into the program, but it just appears in another window, and it hasn't attached to the circuit , and I don't know how to 'run' it to make it operate as the voltage source so I can do a sim .

Off to drill some holes instead ..
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

Post by izzy wizzy »

In this thread http://www.intactaudio.com/forum/viewto ... c&start=30 you find Ideal RevRIAA.asc posted by Andrew. I use this. Just download it and it will run. Then bung it up yer phono input and you're off.

cheers,

Stephen
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Thanks Stephen, I'll try that next .
I just found this fab little video :

So now I know all about the crucial 'F2' and 'F3' buttons, and how to put the probe point on the output of the circuit !

Hence see pic below of my fist sim of the RIAA without the inverse. Looks approx correct, so I'll go onto the inverse function you suggest, now .
Attachments
Spice_RIAA_1.JPG
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

izzy wizzy wrote:In this thread http://www.intactaudio.com/forum/viewto ... c&start=30 you find Ideal RevRIAA.asc posted by Andrew. I use this. Just download it and it will run. Then bung it up yer phono input and you're off.
cheers,

Stephen
I have the file, have put it in Sub, but didn't follow you as to how exactly to use it. If you get chance to comment , please describe in very simple words stage by stage :D how I should bring it into the circuit. I need to know things like where it sits - in another window ; or in the circuit window ; do I edit it into the existing voltage source by right-clicking ( i tried this ! ) , or add the whole thing onto the front like a little extra circuit ; should I be able to see it as a Hagerman thing, or does it just appear as a black box on the left etc ?
Cheers, time to stop & eat !
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

Post by izzy wizzy »

Get rid of V1. Get the whole of the inverse RIAA cct and stick it on the front of your LCR EQ.

You can make things up into generic blocks you can reuse like components and I've done this in the past but it makes it hard to share with others so I just now copy the inverse EQ into every sim.

cheers,

Stephen
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Thanks for coming back on this quickly, Stephen.
Ok now bear in mind I started using this program today ! :?
This comment is still not enough for me to know what to do :
izzy wizzy wrote:Get the whole of the inverse RIAA cct and stick it on the front of your LCR EQ.
So, at the moment, this file exists as an .asc file in the lib>sub folder .
What ( in simple steps ) do I do to bring this file in, and attach it to the existing LCR circuit ?
Do I call it from a drop-down menu somehow ?
Do I use one of the 'F' keys ?
Do I open it in another window and then do something to cut and paste it ?

Thanks in advance .
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

Post by izzy wizzy »

IslandPink wrote: Do I open it in another window and then do something to cut and paste it ?
Thanks in advance .
Yup, pretty much this.
Have both .asc windows open in LTSPICE.

The copy tool can be used to highlight all the inverse riaa components. Select copy, hold down the mouse to drag a box around everything then let it go, that's it copied so go to the LCR cct, press paste and move it to where you want it. Then connect it up and it should go.

cheers,

Stephen
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Got it !
Nice, thanks .
I got the special source on there , updated Andrew's LCR bit to the latest info ( which he sent me by PM earlier ) , ran it and got a curve flat to about 0.1dB .
I'll throw up some plots on the LCR phono thread tomorrow .

Much appreciated.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Mark you really should refer to the LTspice help to find out the basics for using things.

To get to the second window for a V source for AC stuff, right button click on the symbol to get the basic values edit box, then click on the 'Advanced' button.

Same for a current source.

Once you'se set AC values you'll always get the second version window on right click thereafter.

Use right mouse button click to get values window for any symbol.

Ctrl+right mouse button for all properties of any symbol, plus access to the actual symbol file.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Mike H wrote:Mark you really should refer to the LTspice help to find out the basics for using things.
Of the various ways I've learnt stuff so far about the program, the help manual has been the least useful !
I find this is usually the case - especially with things like Microsoft products.
I mean - they never answer the question you have .

For instance, yesterday I have a circuit with no voltage source in it. I wonder how to create one . Go to the help manual . Look up 'voltage source' . I get a nice description of types of voltage sources and the parameters. Nowhere does it tell me how to create one. I look up 'create' and 'add' and 'symbol' and still don't get anywhere .

Then I found the Youtube tutorial I referred to _ I see that guy actually hands-on creating a circuit from nothing - and within a minute he says 'use F2 to add a voltage source' . Bingo !
If I go back to the Spice help manual and search for 'F2' , it comes up with nothing .

Sure, once you have a voltage source, you can right-click on it and change to all sorts of options .

Thanks for the tip on Ctrl+right-click .
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Have you found the Yahoo group?

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/LTspice/

Andrew
Analogue, the lost world that lies between 0 and 1.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Ooh, thanks !
Very useful .
The Intact Audio section seems like a very good place for valve-relevant stuff btw. I need to download the big valve library some time. Need to check which is the latest .
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Yes the help is not easy, it makes a lot of assumptions. Like you know how to use the program. :D

There is a section of examples which can help show how things are plugged together.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

IslandPink wrote:Ooh, thanks !
Very useful .
The Intact Audio section seems like a very good place for valve-relevant stuff btw. I need to download the big valve library some time. Need to check which is the latest .
Don't forget we got one here in 'Stacks' :D

http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/phpBB2/view ... 1641#41641