nuvistors

We all start somewhere
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

cressy wrote:being having a good read of this
http://www.platenspeler.com/background/ ... und_1.html
Apologies to all but apart from being difficult to see, the first part at least sounds like cobblers. The Wikipedia page is pretty vague as well. The low frequencies are NOT attenuated to "prevent the needle jumping out the groove" :

"The RIAA (Record Industry Association of America) characteristic, which is [also] embodied in British Standard 1928:1955, specifies that a record groove is cut [initially] with constant amplitude modulation, from 20 Hz to 500 Hz. Played back by a magnetic pick-up cartridge, the output signal voltage amplitude then rises at the rate of 6dB per octave, or 20dB per decade. After 500 Hz it is cut at constant velocity - [for which the cartridge output voltage is constant at all frequencies above 500 Hz. This is the original EMI standard. The superceding Decca standard is the same, but with the addition of] - "treble pre-emphasis, which comes in at about 2123 Hz. The net result is a replay curve with an average rise of just below 6dB/octave over the entire spectrum, with a small 'step' at the middle frequencies."
- Gordon J. King, Audio Equipment Tests

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
cressy
Shed dweller

Post by cressy »

well the gain should be 63 for both stages, id say slightly less as i upped the cathode resistor on them to run them at about 5ma rather than the 6.5 it shows for class a1 so probably a gain of about 60
cressy
Shed dweller

Post by cressy »

didnt read that bit myself, i was looking at the spice models he'd done on his circuits. does sound odd though, the needle jumping out of the groove. cant see that happening. i thought is was so that they could actually fit a reasonable amount of music on the disc. :?:
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Well, I don't know if its the result of constant amplitude or low end cut, the result would be that without the curve the HF signal would either be so quiet it would disappear below the noise level, or the grove displacement would restrict the number of turns you could fit on a side. And I think the stylus would have trouble tracking the excursion.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

As Nick says the RIAA is an attempt at a constant amplitude cut or a close approximation to one.

There was a Stereophile? article, that was very good.

-- Andrew
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Third attempt at saving this post!

Yes I think so, aided by that the faster the stylus moves, the more output signal Voltage.

As for the constant amplitude part, it's exactly that as far as I can interpret. Don't forget most cartridges the ornary bod in the street was using would've been crystal, (or 'ceramic') having not had much to do with any for years but IIRC it doesn't slope off below 500 Hz like a mag one does. Or not as much ~ as I say can't remember!

Well the old integrated amps of yore while they had phono inputs for mag pick-up, if it were a crystal pick-up it'd be shoved straight in the high impedance sockets, at least 1 megohm, which were flat response. Same basic input as for other inputs. You then trimmed it a bit with the tone controls if necessary.

The Decca pre-emphasis bit is simply to improve signal to noise ratio, but that's the bit you gotta take off even for a mag cart. Hence the smaller of the two caps in the EQ network.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
cressy
Shed dweller

Post by cressy »

got my nuvistors today, very very tiny, theyre only about 15mm tall by about 8mm across. got my jbe slate turntable too, but got the bestest thing at 4.15 in the morning, my little baby boy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

elliott andrew cresswell

luckily we were home in tome for the postie.

no sleep though since 5.30 am sunday when i got woken up by my other lad. :roll: need sleeeeeeeeeep :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Well done Ant ! (not that you did the hard work. :wink: )

Which of our two Andrews has the honour of sharing his name with Elliott ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Why is it always at night :-)

Great news, hope all are well (or as well as can be expected).
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Congratulations...
ed
retired

Post by ed »

congrats Ant, all the very best to you all......

ps Elliot is top of our list of boys names at the mo...good call!
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
cressy
Shed dweller

Post by cressy »

cheers guys, the andrew is after my best mate who i built the el84 amp for, elliott wasnt my choice, i wanted luke, but who cares, hes got all the right bits in the right places and elliott seems to suit.

all three of them were born at stupid o'clock in the morning for some reason :roll:
PeteC
Old Hand

Post by PeteC »

Congrats !

I too have an Elliot - (first name Leo after Mr Fender ) , and his Mum chose Elliot

I like it ...

All the best to your family..

Rgds
Pete
Life is two shirts
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

cressy wrote:.....but got the bestest thing at 4.15 in the morning, my little baby boy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

......luckily we were home in time for the postie.
The postman brings likkle baybees? I'm sure MrI told me it was a stork..... :shock:

Congratulations to all the Cresswells :-)

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I thought we were talking about valves!

Still, maybe there is something more important. Well done to Mrs Creswell; you had it easy, young man.

Congrats to the pair of you!