iPhone

Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

My broadband right now is downloading at 9mb/s and uploading at <1mb/s.

And that is when it works at all.

Sometimes 3g seems faster.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Just got a bill today and there is a bit of good news. It seems I have unlimited minutes unlimited texts and 5gig of data. I thought it was 3gig.

I would struggle to find a use for that much data.

On the other side of life our 3 phones all of the Samsung s4 minis (all four of us) are up to date as far as 3 are conscerned (android 4.2.2.) but don't have the 4g capability turned on.

I spent 1 and a half hours on the phone to India this afternoon and was passed to a fourth person in line to discuss the issue before I decided there was no way any of these broken English speakers could provide a solution.

I suspect that as they are al you can eat data packages on a phone 3 supplied, it is deliberately being held back to 3g as they don't want us all using all we can eat at 4g speed.

It seems the networks have to make available the 4.4.* version Android which is ready for 4g.

So if it becomes something relevant (i.e. 3 network 4g coverage area could fit on the end of a pin in the country as a whole and nothing for miles of Scarborough) I shall have to try a fix of our own to get the phone 4g capable. It is doable within 4.2.2. but it requires a workaround.

My iPhone is 4g ready of course.

Had a scare trying to get my videos on it, but succeeded in the end.

Even iphone requires a little intervention.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

Not sure it works that way, Paul. You can get, for example, a Samsung Galaxy S4 or S5 or any other 4g-capable phone on Orange or T-Mobile and it will use the same 3G and 2G network as your EE phone, but it wont get 4G because it's not activated on your account at our end. Put an EE SIM card in it, it'll work on 4G without any software updates being needed. I presume that 3 work the same way.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Thats why I phoned 3 in the first place. I thought they must not have allowed 4g. But they seemed obsessed with transferring me up the levels of technical wizzards, nobody owned the scenarioyou and I came up with.

It seemed though that after one and a half hours I was being sent on a wild gose chase, at each level being asked to do all the same things again, all pointless and fruitless, and no insight shown from their end. I wouldn't trust them to teach me how to tie my shoe laces.

I keep having to tell them you don't pronounce Quebeck Kewbeck, but they can't even take an English lesson from an Englishman. Might as well have left them in their ignorance.

My suspicion is yes 3 haven't enabled 4g on our contracts. Either nobody told the folk who answer 333 dialled from the handset, or they are evading the issue of having to tell us. Depends whether you are a conspiracy theorist or have no faith in their grey matter function, if we step asside from the poor communication skills apauling line quality and horendous musical accompaniment to the long periods while "I will just ask my supervisor" moments.

But what made me come up in my own head with the theory the handset was not enabled was that googling the problem for the handset it does actually require turning on unless it has version Kit Kat, which 3 haven't sent down to it. But there are workarounds though none of those I have read about have worked.

If I was in a 4g location I could try the 3 sim in the iphone. that would put the matter to rest.

Maybe I need to drive up Staxton hill to the fields which are well covered by 4g and have a go.

Just a bit scared about messing around with the iphone.

Anyway compared to orange 3 networks 4g coverage is pants in the nation as a whole and zero round here, so it's entirely academic at this stage.
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Yep, three operatetes in suspect ways. As soon as I crossed the boarder from France to Belgium I got a text from 3 advertising their EU service where I can 'get online as much as I like in the EU for £5 a day. Click here to get it now.' Ar, I thought, being in Belgium to visit the Grand Prix, for £5 a day, I can listen to BBC Radio 5 Extra for commentary of practice, qualifying and the race. Brilliant! I clicked on the link to be told I had successfully made the purchase and that the service had been supplied to me until midnight but it excluded streaming. That to me seems a bit of a con as they failed to inform me of limitations in their original text. I plan to challenge them on it.
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
Douglas Adams (HHGTTG)
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Ray P wrote:Greg, that old chestnut!
Ray, you are quite right. I chose my words badly although I have no doubt you knew what I was trying to say.

I respect your comparison observation between Apple and Android phones. I also have owned both and without doubt, the iPhone has opened up a whole new way of using a phone to me which generally I find relatively easy to do. My old Galaxy Ace was a pain in the arse, as far as my head is concerned. I really struggled to understand the logic of how it worked whereas the iPhone seems to just slot in with my own thought processes. Interestingly, my Amanda remains on Android and can't even start to realise the same level of function I have with the iPhone. She marvels at what I manage to do and without doubt, it's got little to do with me because I am principle a technophobe simple soul.mI have no idea why that is and frankly don't care. I will remain with Apple because fundamentally, in my hands, ears and eyes, it works shed loads better for me compared to the alternative.
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
Douglas Adams (HHGTTG)
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

Post by Ray P »

Greg wrote:Ray, you are quite right. I chose my words badly although I have no doubt you knew what I was trying to say.
Of course Greg, just couldn't resist teasing you!

Each to their own, horses for courses, you pays your money and takes your choice, etc. etc.

For what it's worth I am using Android devices. For the majority of things I could make do with either Apple or Android without any particular problem but I use my devices quite a lot for aspects of music (as a music (not mp3) player) at work, controlling my music system and so on) and, to me, Android fits better with the decisions I've made with respect to that (FLAC format, hi-res, upnp).

BTW, we should consider another SW get together fairly soon. Unfortunately, I can't manage one here right now though?

Ray
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Ref. 3 I think they were the first to block teathering.

the history was I was lsaughtered by Organge for going over my internet allowance when I spent a week in Ireland and was blissfully unaware that by allowing my phone to do the usual updates etc as I always had in blighty that I was incurring a charge of £1 per mb.

My next bill was £600.

So I got it reduced to £300 by grovelling and made a downpayment of £150. Then when in a month I rang in to pay off the rest at £150 there was aparently no record of their agreeing to reduce it to £300 and I was back to owing £450. So we went into a long dispute. To cut a long story short we became great friends when after a year of me paying no more bills but them allowing my device to still work (which mistifies me, but they said "because we are in dispute we can't turn you off") suddenly one day after about a year I found that every penny I supposedly owed and my first £150 I had paid was all credited to my account, the dispute was over.

I can only imagine that ofcom or someone had become involved automatically or otherwise and the facts I presented must have been found correct. The fact the original Orange operator offered me a deal and this was taken back probably gave Orange no credibility. In a court of law they would have been found a discredited witness and nothing they said about the case after a lie has been proved would be worth a scrap.

Anyway, while in dispute so that I didn't rack up a mamoth internet bill to eventually pay I turned off 3g on the phone and took out a cheap 3 network all you can eat data deal which they often used to parade around to get customers from the networks like Orange who were runing this rediculous £1 a mb scam without warning.

I was sent a phone I could teather with and I was not given any information in the deal that I shouldn't teather. I think it was an S2.

Fine, we were lovers for a year or two, I went off to work and teathered my laptop to my 3 phone and was much better empowered to use my mobile office while out in my van all day. It worked great, I had all I could eat data and I was in the honeymoon period with 3 network. I kept my orange phone number because it is the advertised one and I get free broadband from orange because one year way back when they foffered free broadband to business users. So maintaining an orange presence in the phone world which now was down to a basic sim only contract means I get free broadband and still do. Yes it is rediculously slow, but free is free. You don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

THEN one day out of the blue with no wraning or explanation I go to teather as per usual and instead of opening a web page I want my laptop screen gets a message from 3 to the effect "you have not paid to teather from this sim card you have to buy a teathering package"

Here in ended my honeymoon period with 3.

It is only because I put Diana and the kids all on 3 at the same time and we can all talk or text together unlimited that I maintain any kind of 3 presence. For me they lost all credibility changing the goal posts on me.

I don't trust anything they say. Worse still I can't understand anything they say because of the bad line and their poor pronunciation of English, and their lack of knowledge of their own product or else their lies whichever you wish to decide is the reason for their failure to answer a question with a solution or at least a credible explanation.

But the family will probably stay on 3. When my contract is up for renewal it will be shed. It's only a family phone anyway it isn't advertised. They'll just have to give me a kissed call, and I'll phone them back with my unlimited deal.

Porbably nobody left reading by now.

Oh, importantly, orange did state that I can teather with my 5 gigs of 4g.
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Although to add to the confusion it is now EE.

If of interest when shoping for 4g I found vodaphone is now on in scarborough but customers of mine say they aren't geting a 4g connection though they should. Also British Gas use vodaphone for my field terminal sim and it is constantly not communicationg with the server which slows down the daily grind enormously. this is because you must constantly update the office with your whereabouts and any data you have to transmit or you are marked down on a points scoring system that is more important to them when deciding who is layed off and who stays at times of recession as we are in now, than if I raped the CEO's daughter in front of him.

So I have to keep moving until I have a good enough signal and restart the network or reboot the whatever and all the other tricks which take for ever as the stupid terminal is like a tortous as it is on XP. So in all the areas I work vodaphone is not my cup of tea!

Gouys who have gone to work in other parts of the country come back reporting that the terminal communicates instantly. It seems to be a local problem. We all get it. We are held to ransom by our field terminal and can't get onto the next job unitlo we have found a signal and made it work. OR we take the bad rating. Our choice.
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Paul Barker wrote:My broadband right now is downloading at 9mb/s and uploading at <1mb/s.

And that is when it works at all.

Sometimes 3g seems faster.
Just checked my teathering capability and yes it is unobstructed by the network, unlike 3.

Uploads at 0.5 mb Downloads at 1.3 mb

So my broadband is faster.

Can't wait until leisure time available to go up to that countryside 4g zone and see what speeds I get teathering up there.

Might be worth going up there with a repeater and a Yagi and aiming it at my house!