Linaeum diapole tweeter

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1 Linaeum diapole tweeter

Post by pre65 »

I've been given a pair of Linaeum diapole tweeters by a very generous forum member, and wondered if anyone had any experiences of them ?

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

They used to use them on Genexxa bookshelf speakers, sold either under their own name or under the "Realistic" brand sold by Tandy, in the mid to late 80s.
Apparently they were fab sounding tweeters that showed the dome tweeters of the day, what treble reproduction was all about.

Here is a link to some on sale.
Have a look before it becomes broken
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... es/382719/
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Ian J
User

#3 Linaeum tweeters

Post by Ian J »

I have a pair taken from the LX5 speakers mentioned above. The speakers were £30 in a Tandy sale, not long before their demise. The main issue with Linaeums is very low sensitivity - Noel keywood tested them in HiFIWorld many years ago as part of a ribbon group test (though they are not really ribbons) and came up with ~82dB/W IIRC.
I tried them in a home built speaker using Audax Ap100 as the midbass (the ones that were £5 each clearance fom Maplins years ago and about 85dB/W) and found the tweeters just too quiet. Not wanting to pad down the Audax I went with a dome tweeter- the Lins are on the shelf.

I see two pairs in the pic - if they're all yours parallelling them up to get a mini treble line source with 6db more output would def be worth a go...
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Sadly I only have the one pair. :(

Edmund Burke

rowuk
Old Hand

#5 active HF solution

Post by rowuk »

pre65 wrote:Sadly I only have the one pair. :(
Give them their own amplifier, then the efficiency does not matter. Great amps are not that expensive and with the standard distribution of acoustical energy, the tweeter does not need to get 115dB loud.
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#6 Re: active HF solution

Post by pre65 »

rowuk wrote:
pre65 wrote:Sadly I only have the one pair. :(
Give them their own amplifier, then the efficiency does not matter. Great amps are not that expensive and with the standard distribution of acoustical energy, the tweeter does not need to get 115dB loud.
I can try it with the 3 way active crossover. I might have a spare amp somewhere. :wink:

Edmund Burke

Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Going active, most units allow you to alter gain for each driver, so they could be matched that way.
rowuk
Old Hand

#8 Phase align

Post by rowuk »

Try and set them up physically so that they are acoustically in phase with your midrange BEFORE applying anything else. It is amazing how a fraction of an inch can screw everything up - it is even more amazing how much messing around with frequency response could be avoided simply by setting up the drivers properly.
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.