THE ROSSENDALES - Son of Edingdales

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#1 THE ROSSENDALES - Son of Edingdales

Post by Toppsy »

Having sneakily mentioned these on young Chris's "New speakers!!!" thread, rather than detract from his thread I thought I'd start a new one.

These are a smaller version of my Edingdale speakers for 4 x Markaudio CHBW + Monacor Ribbon tweeter. For those that are unfamiliar with the CHBW-70 gen1 drivers, these are a development of the CHR70 specifically designed for best low to midrange performance. Details can be found on the MA web site http://www.markaudio.com/.

Should be an interesting project and depending on performance, who knows :wink:

I believe these were the brainchild of DaveD at Planet10 and the speakers have been designed by Scott (Scottmoose). I'm not sure whether these in a slightly different cabinet will be offered as a planpack by Planet10 but if these perform anywhere near that of their larger brethren they should be a hit.

To date I've only drafted up the plans and have the basic 18mm ply panels CNC cut. To compare size for size against the Edingdales see the image below.

As I have said in Chris's thread I hope to have the bare prototypes ready for Owston, but don'r quote me on that. We'll have to see how my paying work pans out and whether I have room in the car.

Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Oh, oh, Henry, (clearly I've been watch too much Hong Kong Phooey with the kids recently) those will be very domestically acceptable, what is the nominal SPL at 1 watt for the four?

If its in the high 80's I can see them being a hit for you Colin.

Andrew
Analogue, the lost world that lies between 0 and 1.
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

Post by Scottmoose »

As a rule I no longer post here since I've no desire to mislead anyone -most of what I have previously written is incorrect, hence the reason I have deleted all my previous 'contributions.' Making a brief exception, since this thread took me by surprise:
I believe these were the brainchild of DaveD at Planet10 and the speakers have been designed by Scott (Scottmoose).
No, Dave wasn't involved. I think he's plotting something for his drivers, but in a very different configuration.

I hope these do well for Colin; theoretically they should have a similar general character to his Edingdales. They won't provide as much LF output as the larger cabinets, but the smaller diameter, flatter profile cones should aid off-axis dispersion compared to the larger units, and they have superior microresonant behaviour. Output is just under 91dB 1m/w.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

most of what I have previously written is incorrect
Never stops the rest of us :-)
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

So what have you posted previously and now deleted that was incorrect! it means nothing without an explanation! And as Nick points out it don't stop the rest of us spoutin'....bollox!
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

Post by Scottmoose »

Just ignore anything I write & listen to people who know what they're talking about.

Back to Colin's new speakers.
Last edited by Scottmoose on Thu May 03, 2012 11:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Scottmoose wrote:Just ignore anything I write & listen to people who know what they're talking about.
Hi Scott, good to see you around.

I think you are being a bit harsh on yourself. You have done an awful lot of very positive work for many people on here and it has been much appreciated. :D
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
richardcooper2k
Old Hand

Post by richardcooper2k »

i've certainly fallen foul of my own opinions before
and even consensus is only the OPINION of the majority
Thoughts are just little stories that our brains tell us !
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Scottmoose wrote:Just ignore anything I write & listen to people who know what they're talking about.
Well, not sure about what you have said in the past, but this one is spot on, I will follow your instruction and ignore it :-)
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

I originally wrote
I believe these were the brainchild of DaveD at Planet10.........
Scottmoose replied
No, Dave wasn't involved. I think he's plotting something for his drivers, but in a very different configuration.
I believe I should put things to rights here and perhaps should have used a different word than brainchild :oops: but during a recent email correspondance with DaveD at Planet10 I mentioned Scott had given me this design to compliment my Edingdale speakers and Dave replied Quote: The idea came from me... except my plan was a full 3-way with 5 CHBW + ERT26 -- with DaveR's series XO between CHBW #5 & ERT26..

So perhaps I have been a little unfair to the talents of Scott and long may he continue to contribute to the development of speaker design. And if he wants to post bollocks then he'll be in good company, me included , hey :wink:
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Hmm, sounds a bit like "I invented the Mini, but mine was a 7 seat 4 door 4*4 with a trailer" but its a bit of a black art to me speakers.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

There's that bit in The Life of Brian where the crowd is chasing Brian (most of the film?). Brian disturbs the peace of a hermit who has said nothing for 12 years. The crowd eat teh hermit's juniper berries but decide the hermit is the Messiah because ... welll it gets complicated. I think Scott is having a larffff - he's the real Messiah. On the one hand I have my Sabs, on the other I have Frug3s. Sabs are the best speakers in the world and so are Frug3s. - and those other ones that Dave takes round the country just to listen in his tent (name escapes me)... my point is - they are the best in the world too.

So I too will ignore anything Scott says and look forward to ignoring him in future. Bring on the bollocks says I!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Mankind needs bollox. Without my Dad's I wouldn't be here.

Fonkens MrI, they're the little wonders that do many miles around the Country.

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

To put the record straight 'FONKENS' are a DaveD (Planet10) design. I don't believe our Scott has any input to these and their derivatives. However, the FH3 and Saburu's to my knowledge are definitely Scotts. And agreed that for 4" FR drivers they are perhaps the best in the world. Though to me the FH3 has the edge being able to use many different a 4" driver, whereas the Sab's are designed specific for the Fostex FE126? Or is that 127? Regardless they are Fostex specific and wont work with any other driver.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Nah, we're not buying that Scott. If there's one person that doesn't post bollocks on here it's you. Nice try though. :D