EDINGDALE speaker build

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

Hence also my comment about overwhelming veneers. They looked much bigger in the other photos.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

I can see your point.

Physically the speakers are 9"W x 16"D x 42"H.

The woofers are only 6" drivers.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

Toppsy wrote:Steve Cresswell came over my place earlier today and when he saw the EDINGDALE speakers in the flesh was most surprised they were much smaller than he envisioned from the original posted photos suggest.
I was round at Colin's to talk about a build of some 5ft Metronomes,
and yes I was quite surprised how petite those multi-driver cabs looked in the flesh, despite them still being unfinished ply.
They'll probably look even smaller when veneered.

Steve
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
planet10
Old Hand

Post by planet10 »

chris661 wrote:Yep, got that bit. I'm curious about how the two woofers will share the current with the midbass - you mentioned wiring the woofers in series, which would double the impedance. Put that in parallel with the single midbass and the current sharing won't be equal - the midbass will get more as it's lower impedance than the woofers together.
To expand on what Chris is saying... i had a look a couple days ago and have been thinking about the 3 woofer problem... i also chatted on Skype with Scott about it.

The XO scheme that is being contemplated makes little sense to me. It will have less sensitivity than a more traditional 2 woofer 2.5 way (at least with voltage amp). Distortion may decrease with the 2 series woofers, but the poor woofer that is also the midrange is going to be doing the heavy lifting and it is going to have more distortion all the way up to the tweeter.

The only sensible way i see to wire it, is to make it a 3-way, with the 2 bottom woofs in parallel and the top one a midrange. XO at about the baffle step (guesstimate: 500 Hz based on 9" wide) And it will have up to 3 dB difference in actual level below that XO depending on whether you are using a low output impedance amp (typical SS) or a high output impedance amp (typical SET)

Now we have introduced the problem of hoe you seal off the midrange and the retuning of the bass.

For 4 drivers, it is likely best done as a 2.5 way like this (offset the tweeters to get the top 2 midbass as close as possible):

Still have the issue of different level in the bass depending on output impedance.

The way to get around the output impedance differences (as long as the XO doesn't cause major impedance pertabations is a 3-way with 5 of the midbass)

dave
Last edited by planet10 on Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
planet10
Old Hand

Post by planet10 »

SteveTheShadow wrote:I was round at Colin's to talk about a build of some 5ft Metronomes,
I noted that on diyA you said for the FF225wk. From our recent experiences with FF85 an 125wk, these have a lot of potential.

And your Mets will give me the data i need for Demetri v2

dave
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

5 woofers, now that could get interesting :)
Analogue, the lost world that lies between 0 and 1.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

I've taken a short break from building the Metronomes to progress my Edingdale speakers. These I can work on indoors as it's mostly constructing the XO'ers and wiring up the internals.

The weather has been raining these last 2-days so little progress can be made on the Metronomes, but don't worry Steve, I'll be back on them this afternoon after me lunch break. :wink:

After a short visit to Nick's and a chat about these speakers I've had a slight change in direction and they have now morphed into a 4-woofer design with the single tweeter. This has given the speakers a more amp friendly nominal 8-ohm load and a SPL around 93dB.

Early days yet as all the drivers and XO components are new so need some time to break-in. BUT, the initial impressions on the sound are very good. They certainly hold a presence sound-wise and the bass detail certainly is there. Having started them gently with some Kate Rusby, I am now listening to them playing White Sugar Album by Joanne Shaw Taylor. Great presence to her voice, Crisp but not harsh treble, same rich midrange as the standmount Edales and beteer defined bass. So I'm a happy boy. :lol:

Hopefully Nick can come over with his mike and software program so we can take some measurements and I can get an initial second opinion.

Here's a couple of piccies of them still unfinished in bare ply.

Image Image

Oh, well back to work now on the Metronomes whilst the weather is dry.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

Toppsy wrote:Oh, well back to work now on the Metronomes whilst the weather is dry.
Should bloody think so too! :lol: :lol:
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
chris661
Shed dweller

Post by chris661 »

Wahey. I likes. Muchly.

Will these make it to Owston, per chance?

(my signature seems appropriate at this time)
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Will these make it to Owston, per chance?
Hopefully.
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Looking forward to hearing these..

Andrew
Max N
Old Hand

Post by Max N »

8 ohm load, 93dB, great looks - I think these might prove a bit popular :)
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Yes, and they're not too big, unlike my Sachiko :roll:

I'm waiting to see them veneered before I show a piccy to the missus, so she sees them at their best :!:

Andrew
chris661
Shed dweller

Post by chris661 »

As a thought,

if the lower two woofers are crossed over sufficiently low, could they be placed on the back of the cabinet?

My thoughts are as follows:

it'd provide vibration cancellation (masses moving in opposite directions);
it'd likely be more spouse friendly if 2 woofers were showing instead of 4 (plus, keeping cones away from little fingers).

I appreciate that it'd be a lot of woodworking for you, Colin, but just as a general thing if anyone else decides to build them. What's the crossover point to the lower woofers?
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Max N wrote:8 ohm load, 93dB, great looks - I think these might prove a bit popular :)
That was my thought while I was talking Colin round to the idea.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.