EDINGDALE speaker build

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

I have spoken to Scott and he will pm you regards the finer details of the design. I am assuming you are thinking suitable amp design(s) to drive them, yes Question Some things we want to keep private for now
Yes, I am thinking that if it was possible to get the sensitivity up around the Living Voice area with a highesh impedance, it would open lots of posibilities for amps to drive them.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Yes, if you can get up in the early to mid 90s in terms of efficiency then 10 watts would be reasonable in many UK living rooms.

Andrew
Analogue, the lost world that lies between 0 and 1.
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Nice job as usual, Colin.

Andrew
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Chris661 wrote
But surely the one that covers the midrange would be getting more current than the other two?
The idea Chris is to run the upper woofer full range up to the XO frequency to the tweeter. In effect the existing XO design of the 2-way EDALES. The lower two woofers will be XO'd around 300 - 400Hz or thereabouts to reinforce the bass LF detail using a simple add-on 1st order (or maybe 2nd order) LF XO to the series wired lower woofers. This will be determined by experiment and listening tests.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Andrew and Nick,

Your points about an easier load and higher efficiency are noted and with help from Scott a new design is being concepted using 4 of the MA woofers but likely using a different and more efficient tweeter.

Well have to see how this sims out.
cressy
Shed dweller

Post by cressy »

i want some :D
chris661
Shed dweller

Post by chris661 »

Toppsy wrote:Chris661 wrote
But surely the one that covers the midrange would be getting more current than the other two?
The idea Chris is to run the upper woofer full range up to the XO frequency to the tweeter. In effect the existing XO design of the 2-way EDALES. The lower two woofers will be XO'd around 300 - 400Hz or thereabouts to reinforce the bass LF detail using a simple add-on 1st order (or maybe 2nd order) LF XO to the series wired lower woofers. This will be determined by experiment and listening tests.
(For the purposes of this reply, midbass = the one that goes up to meet the tweeter
woofer = the ones crossed over lower down.)

Yep, got that bit. I'm curious about how the two woofers will share the current with the midbass - you mentioned wiring the woofers in series, which would double the impedance. Put that in parallel with the single midbass and the current sharing won't be equal - the midbass will get more as it's lower impedance than the woofers together.

The only way I can see to do it is to have all the drivers in parallel, but that won't be a healthy load for most amps.

Chris
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Chris,

You are quite correct in your observations, but this is not necessarily a negative thing. However, after some consultation with Scott and a quick remodelling, these cabinets are now to morph into a 4-woofer design.

1. As previously remarked this will give an easier, more amp friendly (nominal) 8-ohm load. 8)

2. Should give us a little more SPL and less distortion which will equate to better bass detail. 8)

3. A quick re-modelling suggests the existing cabinets will be OK with a small change to the port tuning frequency. 8)

4. Should be able to retain and use the MA Tweeter #3 as I am reliably informed the SPL is fractionally higher than claimed. Which is good news as it removes the L-pad resistors from any crossover. 8)

So watch this space for future developments and a change to the looks of the front baffles.

Now where did I place those woofer hole routing templates. :?
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

4. Should be able to retain and use the MA Tweeter #3 as I am reliably informed the SPL is fractionally higher than claimed. Which is good news as it removes the L-pad resistors from any crossover. Cool
You could always add a extra upward or rear facing tweeter to increase the top end and reduce directionality.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Nick,

Something to experiment with as I have a pair of the tweeters on order with the extra woofers I need.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Steve Cresswell came over my place earlier today and when he saw the EDINGDALE speakers in the flesh was most surprised they were much smaller than he envisioned from the original posted photos suggest.

So I have taken a photo of one of the bare ply speakers alongside a Cherry veneered Frugal Horn Mk3 to give some idea of size and perspective.

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

I had the same impression Colin. :lol:

Well done to Topps speaker development Labs. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Stating the obvious, I guess, but that's only 3 drivers, I assume the 4th driver is going at the bottom below the other 3 but above the port?

I agree, they aren't as big as your previous images would have suggested.

Andrew
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Or thats a special trick supersize'd frugal horn...
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Stating the obvious, I guess, but that's only 3 drivers, I assume the 4th driver is going at the bottom below the other 3 but above the port?
Yes Andrew that's the idea. Just need to sort out what changes to the XO it will make using the 4-woofers. :?