2a3 amp

We all start somewhere
Bizzie
Old Hand

#1 2a3 amp

Post by Bizzie »

In a fit of madness I have bought a pair of sovtek 2A3's of ebay (cos they were cheap) and now want a nice simple design to get me started.

I have a pair of multi tapped (5k/2.4k+ 4,8,16ohm) output xformer's that I bought off Mike a while ago and 2 or 3 mains xformers but they're probably around 100ma and 550ct and 6.3v 3amp any good?.

I have also bought a xformer with 2 x 2.5amp windings for the 2a3 heaters.

There seems to be loads of schematics out there but which one to build for a numpty like me :D
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Loads of options as you say. I like CCS loaded d3a as a driver, but 6sn7 works well. I am sure others with also have suggestions.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Bizzie
Old Hand

Post by Bizzie »

What advantage does the ccs offer and would this make a more complicated build as I'd really like to start off as simple as possible and perhaps upgrade once its up and running.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

It makes the driver more linear. Yep, you can start with a resistor anode load and go from there.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

That Shishido/LW/Bluebell ECC83->DC coupled-> 2A3 is pretty simple and worth a go IMO.

A few fella's here have had a bash on it, it's 'rocker' of an amp.

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Good question Alec, I want to build another 2A3 amp... one day.

Shishido LW is a decent place to start, and I quite like the thought of Nick's CCS D3a - might have a tinker with that sometime.

But if you want to build from a proven circuit I don't know too many options. I'm sure there are plenty out there, and there have been a few on DIY Audio, but another option might be Gordon Rankin's Bugle which actually uses 45s rather than 2A3s but is easy to convert. That's what I did when I built it: http://www.atrj13.dsl.pipex.com/na-Bugle.htm

Your OPTs would be suitable for both 2A3 and 45 too, but the mains tx is a little small at 100mA. 2A3s generally run at 60mA each plus whatever for the driver - 200mA might be a bit more comfortable? You might just get away with 45s...
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

I like the CCS D3a idea myself.

Something similar was contemplated before 833a took over. :wink:

If Bizzie has several 100ma mains transformers perhaps monoblocks are in order ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Simon, I think you were there when I took that CCS d3a 2a3 amp to Steve's. Many years ago now though.
Bizzie
Old Hand

Post by Bizzie »

simon wrote:Good question Alec, I want to build another 2A3 amp... one day.

Shishido LW is a decent place to start, and I quite like the thought of Nick's CCS D3a - might have a tinker with that sometime.

But if you want to build from a proven circuit I don't know too many options. I'm sure there are plenty out there, and there have been a few on DIY Audio, but another option might be Gordon Rankin's Bugle which actually uses 45s rather than 2A3s but is easy to convert. That's what I did when I built it: http://www.atrj13.dsl.pipex.com/na-Bugle.htm

Your OPTs would be suitable for both 2A3 and 45 too, but the mains tx is a little small at 100mA. 2A3s generally run at 60mA each plus whatever for the driver - 200mA might be a bit more comfortable? You might just get away with 45s...
I've just checked the mains xfomers and they are 80ma 275-0-275 and 6.3 3amp and I have 2 identical ones but I have only ordered 1 2,5v heater xformer for the 2a3's so mono blocks are a bit tricky unless I buy another one

I have a danbury mains xformer which has 6.3v @ 7A CT, 5v @ 3A and either 250v or 375 @ 350mA but doesn't have a centre tap on the HT and is also way over spec for this amp but could be used I suppose.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

Bizzie wrote: II have only ordered 1 2,5v heater xformer for the 2a3's so mono blocks are a bit tricky unless I buy another one
The thing is you'd still need the two 2.5V transformers even if you used a stereo chassis. With the 2A3s being direct heated filaments you ideally need one filament transformer per valve.

Steve
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Bizzie
Old Hand

Post by Bizzie »

Ok but the transformer I've ordered has 2 x 2.5v @ 2.5A each so I thought that on winding for each valve is that OK or do I really need totally separate Xformers?
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

No, thats fine. 275-0-275 and a valve rectifiler, or SS with a dropper should give you 350, maybe drop a bit in the power supply, you want to aim for a B+ around 300-320v.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

Bizzie wrote:Ok but the transformer I've ordered has 2 x 2.5v @ 2.5A each so I thought that one winding for each valve
Ahh...that's alright then :) I thought you had ordered a TX with only one 2.5V winding.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Bizzie
Old Hand

Post by Bizzie »

I've had a look around and found another danbury mains xformer this one has 6.3v CT @3A and either 240 or 260v no CT @250mA I think this may be the one but I'll obviously need to use a SS full wave bridge so no soft start whats the thoughts on this will it be OK?
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

You could sue a hybrid SS + valve bridge if you have a rectifier heater supply. Otherwise just use some UF7007 and a CLC and away you go. Another RC to feed the driver stage. Driver stage of your choice and you are away.