Tang Band W8-1772 Standmounts

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Finished veneering the top shelf of the stands this morning and added some felt disc pads for the speakers to cussion on then took some new photos in the outdoors sunshine. Just need to play a little with port lengths now to optimise the bass.
Attachments
Stands.JPG
Standmount03.JPG
Standmount04.JPG
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Shoddy..... :)

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

;-) wouldn't give'em houseroom ;-)
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

:wink: wouldn't give'em houseroom :wink:
That's why these are me new outdoor patio speakers :lol: :lol: :wink:
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

The wife has just got home from work and has just seen the finished stands. "Those look nice" she says "you can make me a similar pair of small tables to go in the living room to stop you getting bore whilst waiting for the phone call for a real job".

Ya can't win :( :cry:
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

LOL :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
chris661
Shed dweller

Post by chris661 »

After running some numbers on winISD, I'm curious...

According to the tang band specs, the driver should require a 120 litre volume, tuned to 41Hz, to give a flat graph to 42Hz, a -3dB point of 38Hz and -10dB of 30Hz.

For a 40 litre box, a 3" vent at just under 6 inches gives the best graph (first picture).

With a little eq in the bass region (4dB gain at 55Hz, 1.5dB loss at 100Hz), you can get pretty flat (second picture). Cone excursion stays on the safe side, as it doesn't go higher than with a sealed cabinet.

In both cases, it's a 75mm dia. vent at 141mm long.

Chris

Edit - those pictures didn't show up too well...
Jpeg'd them instead, they look Ok when you open them, better than when they were in .gif...
Last edited by chris661 on Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Edit - those pictures didn't show up too well...
Jpeg'd them instead, they look Ok when you open them, better than when they were in .gif...
Yes, thats the point, what you see in the post is a thumbprint, the server takes the image, create a thumbprint of it, then make the small image a click able link to the full image. Otherwise we get huge images in line, which folk complained about.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
chris661
Shed dweller

Post by chris661 »

I meant when downloaded, they still looked awful.

jpeg looks a bit better, but there's still loss of colour information...
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

Post by Scottmoose »

chris661 wrote:After running some numbers on winISD, I'm curious...
Probably because you appear to have accidentally used the 1808, not the 1772. Anyway, using Bob Brines's measured specs. on the 1772, 4th order alignment (lowest possible F3) is 46.34 litres, Fb 48.193Hz.

Remember however that WinISD doesn't account for room gain, so seemingly flat plots aren't necessarily 'best' in practice. On top of that, it has a number of other simplifying assumptions, and it does not consider internal standing waves, driver & vent location in the aforementioned box etc.
'"That'll do," comes the cry of the perfectionist down the ages.' (James May The Reassembler)
Website www.wodendesign.com
Community sites www.frugal-horn.com & www.frugal-phile.com
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

For what's it's worth, these speakers were designed initially using UniBox NOT WinISD which has it's limitations as pointed out by Scott. Not that I'm saying unibox has any faults but seems a more useful tool to use than WinISD. They were then tweaked in Martin King's Mathcad worksheets to assess room gain.
In a BR design the optimum internal volume came out at 40L.

The Theile parameters to use for the W8-1772 are those as measured by Bob Brines NOT the published specs. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-ran ... sions.html.
chris661
Shed dweller

Post by chris661 »

I agree that winISD has some limitations, but unless the cabinet is really big, standing waves won't be a problem for the operating frequencies of a subwoofer (which is all it's designed for). Still, it's usable to me as Open Office is more than a little clunky when running the Unibox spreadsheets.

Using the wrong driver was a bit stupid, I'll delete those pictures to save some space...
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

Post by Scottmoose »

...but unless the cabinet is really big, standing waves won't be a problem for the operating frequencies of a subwoofer...
You don't think so?
'"That'll do," comes the cry of the perfectionist down the ages.' (James May The Reassembler)
Website www.wodendesign.com
Community sites www.frugal-horn.com & www.frugal-phile.com
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

If the cab is REALLY big, you won't get standing waves! ;-)
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Scottmoose wrote:
...but unless the cabinet is really big, standing waves won't be a problem for the operating frequencies of a subwoofer...
You don't think so?
What about harmonics?
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.