Turntable stand

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

Post by floppybootstomp »

I've just rummaged through me bits and find I have surprsingly little towards a WD2phono/psu build. I seem to have had a run on me junk just lately.

I've modified the lists Colin sent me a little to suit a home build.

If anybody wants them they're Here. Right click to download. It's an Excel 2003 file and note that the 2 lists are in 'Sheet 1' & 'Sheet 2' (tabs at the bottom).

Here are the lists showing just how little I have for this build:

Relevant boxes ticked - certified loony
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

LOL, you make it sound like the rest of us never have the same problem! :lol:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Yep I didn't have any parts for my phono 2 at the time just the pcbs and the TX that's why I went for all audio grade parts from the start a big improvement :) over the standard kit parts
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

The Takman resistors from hifi collective are good,and cheap too.I redid my pre2 with them.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

Thank you chaps, I've bookmarked that place.

I just leaving to see DTB.

And I'm late.

Bugger.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

The Takmans are very good and I'm using them in the final build of my phono. Might be worth considering getting a resistor pack from Rapid - never be short again!
http://www.rapidonline.com/sku/Electron ... 95/13-0260
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

It would seem this thread has reached it's conclusion as the original subject was a turntable stand and I've made it and am using it now, here's a coupla pix:

Pineboard, white hardboard and a paving slab. And by pure luck it's dead level :shock:

But along the way I've made the nod towards vinyl again and I'm glad I did there's just something kinda, well, nice I suppose about them fold out sleeves, big pix and disc labels.

Not to mention the sound of course.

Tomorrow I visit my lockup and bring lots of vinyl home.

Visited DTB yesterday evening and that visit signalled one chapter closing and another opening.

He has very kindly given me a Goldring Lenco in home made plinth sans motor, arm and centre spindle and another one for spares. Dave has also loaned me a Decca pivotal arm which I have to enlarge the chassis hole to mount.

If I like the arm I have the option to buy it from him.

We talked long of gigs, bygone halcyon days and the price of motor oil and spinach.

I was introduced to a cluster of boxes which I was told contain valves, are single ended and the source of mucho enjoyment.

They are linked to a couple of very skinny loudspeakers which are taller than me and contain what look like the drivers from a volkswagen beetle I used to own, they are titchy.

I was treated to several audio renderings including a nice playback of ZZ Top's 'La Grange' which proved to be a very interesting sound stage. The vocals were quite incredible. I played the same song on my system from CD when I got back home and my goodness, some difference.

We spoke, we swapped ideas and I've come up with a plan, based more on finances than anything else.

I am going to rebuild the Lenco GL75 with the Decca arm and if I like the arm I'll buy it.

As a temporary solution I'm going to buy a NAD phono stage with mm/mc options for £65.00. This has to be an improvement on my cheap n nasty B-Tech jobbie (on which, incidentally, I repaired a dry joint on the power socket today).

I will next probably buy the Decca arm from DTB.

Then a denon 103 mc cartridge.

Then I will save and gather parts to build the WD phono 3.

This may take some time, depending on how much work comes my way and I also, really, want to buy a telly at some stage to watch DVD's on. And maybe get a PS3 - yay!

And after all that, if I'm still alive, lol, I'll think about some loudspeakers.

Not ideal, I know, but finances are a very real consideration here.

I consider this thread at an end, next stop is the Lenco but I guess it's a road a lot of you have been down and my experiences here would likely prove to be of little interest so I doubt I'll post on that.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Very interesting, thanks! Image
But along the way I've made the nod towards vinyl again and I'm glad I did there's just something kinda, well, nice I suppose about them fold out sleeves, big pix and disc labels
Not arf

floppybootstomp
Old Hand

As a coda, here's a link to a 12"single I have which I am very fond of.

You will note the vinyl connection as the girl steals the record, goes home and plays it on a turntable.

I saw this band 2nd on the bill before Hawkwind at Glastonbury, 82 or 83 (those 2 years are a little confusing, it's a drug thing, not proud, not clever, just truth).

The girl in the video is not at all conventionally pretty but I find her oddly attractive.

Just in case you wanted to know that ;)