Turntable stand

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
ronaldgaines
User

#31 Valve pre amp

Post by ronaldgaines »

Thanks Floppy for interest shown in isolation platform I suggested.
I omitted to say that soft isolation is also a good idea under amplifiers
especially valve amps which are listening via the glass valves and feeding
the sound slightly delayed around again the result distortion.
Try tapping gently on a valve whilst playing music and you will hear it
from the speakers.
I can suggest the pre -amp designed by Andy Grove and featured in Hi Fi
World magazine DIY supplement June 1995. I made it and find it very good
it uses 6922 (ECC88) valves. It was sold as a kit but sadly no longer available. I made it just using the cicuit and a bit of luck and hard work.
See Attached. Happy Listening Ron.
Attachments
Pre Amp Circuit red.jpg
Pre Amp red.jpg
ronaldgaines
User

#32 Pre Amp suggestion

Post by ronaldgaines »

Just looked at attachments and realised you can't make them out.
I'll try again a bit larger. Ron.
ronaldgaines
User

Post by ronaldgaines »

Pre Amp Circuit for Floppy
From ronaldgaines
Attachments
Circuit red1.jpg
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

Post by floppybootstomp »

You can make them out if you click on them.

Is that for MM or MC? Edit: ok, sussed it.

Any chance of the rest of the article?
Relevant boxes ticked - certified loony
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Tony,

I'm sure Ronald is well intentioned but that was WAD's first serious attempt at a pre-amp with phono stage and the subsequent Phono II/Pre II and PSU II was far better. Several of us use this and of course the 3rd version is currently available from WD. Alot of people had hum issues with the original. Hmmm alot have with the II and III versions but solutions are available.

Regards,

Greg
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

Greg, thank you.

I am desperately searching for something good to build and am kinda out here in the wilderness, lol

If somebody could just point me at something worthwhile I will whip out the soldering iron ;)
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

floppybootstomp wrote:Greg, thank you.

I am desperately searching for something good to build and am kinda out here in the wilderness, lol

If somebody could just point me at something worthwhile I will whip out the soldering iron ;)
patients dear boy :) its come let me know if you got email OK
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Tony,

DTB came up with a great basic introductory unit when he joined in here. He won an Eggfest award for it. I'm sure it was a Phono stage but I could be wrong. Certainly it was an ebay economical starter. Give him a kick and make him tell all.

Regards,

Greg
ronaldgaines
User

Post by ronaldgaines »

Thanks Greg for updating me on WADs progress with pre amps
I did have a hum problem with my KLPP1 but I cured it by adding
a 0.1uf cap to the second grid of first valve in parallel with R3
see my circuit. Also I did not use the power supply circuit at all.
I used the Rainer Zer Linde circuit on page 196 of Build your own
Audio Valve amp. My KLPP1 is now twelve year old and feeds my 300B
SE amp, without problems I will now investigate later WAD designs but I am happy with my pre amp.
I did try moving coil into the pre amp but it was only happy
with high output MCs, I mainly use MM pickups anyway.
Happy Listening
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Greg wrote:Tony,

DTB came up with a great basic introductory unit when he joined in here. He won an Eggfest award for it. I'm sure it was a Phono stage but I could be wrong. Certainly it was an ebay economical starter. Give him a kick and make him tell all.

Regards,

Greg
Thats the Lite Audio phono amp I'm still using Greg but I didn't win an award for it though, thats what I brought to my first ever EggyFest. I think the award that weekend was for 'best budget amp' build or summat, hotly contested between Phil and Shaun (spacehopper), I think.

I got an award at Whitfest for BOBA and being daft :wink: I got an award for the likkle Fonkens too (and being daft) the next year at Owston. they;'re proudly displayed on my mantelpiece as any visitor to Chez Bass will confirm :-)

Tony still hasn't bitten, I need to sweeten him up more...

Oi Floppy! OK, I'll GIVE you the heavy plinth and a pre-drilled Lenco TT baseplate that will accept the Decca Unipivot arm so that makes it even easier for you. I'll LOAN you another COMPLETE GL 75 that has all the bits you need to complete the project ie- Motor, bearing, idler wheel etc etc. You just need to strip and clean/service all the bits (like we used to in the workshop!) and bolt them onto the pre-driledl Lenco baseplate ('cos I've got the tweaked motor and idler + bearing in my own '99 project at the moment!).

All the info you'll need is on't webbernet, I'll even supply URL's! :lol:

Gwaaaarrrrn.

Don't buy a TT yet.... Crikey! How much encouragement does it take???!!! :-)

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

I'm still feeling rather proud of myself for not making comments to a certain individual in a certain other thread I started when I became somewhat inebriated yesterday evening :D

I think I might actually be growing up - showing restraint ;)

Colin: Received e-mails, will print them in a mo, then study - thank you.

Dave: I can pop down this Saturday or Sunday gimme a time if convenient. Thank you.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

floppybootstomp wrote: Dave: I can pop down this Saturday or Sunday gimme a time if convenient. Thank you.
No worries, sorted! Phew!

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

I was going to say there's probably several (well, two or three maybe :D ) examples of Pre2 'copies' and wotnot on the forum, they're basically straightforward and uncomplicated from what I can tell so I was going to suggest that as a starting point.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Not sure,but I think WD may still sell pre 2 pcb's.
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

I've looked at the bumpf Colin mailed me and it's the instructions for the WD Phono 3 kit and the accompanying PSU.

It looks good to me if it's still available and doesn't cost an and a leg I may indulge.

If it's not available the instructions do have circuit diagrams which I think I'll be able to follow but there's no parts lists, I'll have to try and work them out.

Also not too sure about valve pin connections but again I can probably work them out from valve specs and cct diag.

Colin also sent a cct diag for the modified WD Phono II. Not sure why if it was the 3 version I'd build.

Also sent was a 'Phono II 3 18uS correction' which shows some changed resistor values. Not quite sure what this is for.

To take a different angle my non-Boron Nagaoka MP11 stylus arrived today from Mike's link. Pretty good, ordered Saturday, here today.

Fitted it and my initial impression was it's slightly better than the Shure 35C it replaced but there's not that much of a difference.

And then I played side one of Zappa's Hot Rats which you may or may not recall I thought sounded distinctly lacklustre.

The MP11 has brought it alive, now it has some sparkle, presence and better seperation.

My existing turntable setup is still not impressing me a great deal though, it's only a tad better than CD's and that depends on the quality of the vinyl pressing as well.

Still, onwards and upwards as they say, early days yet :)

I'm off to check out WD's site.