Chillingham MLTL CHR70

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#1 Chillingham MLTL CHR70

Post by Toppsy »

I have been looking for a suitable design for a while for my four Mark Audio CHR70 drivers and had considered one of the Planet10 microTower variants until I was offered this prototype Mass Loaded Quarter Wave Air Coupler for twin Mark Audio CHR70.

The driver configuration is inspired by Castle Harlech and Howard S3 design, from the 90's.

This suited my needs spot on and with the nights starting to draw in and the weather become colder what better name than THE CHILLINGHAM. - SWIDT. :wink: :lol:

The Castle Harlech speakers were priced at £799 in August 1996. As I had enough spare 18mm birch ply from off-cuts my other speaker projects the build couldn't be any cheaper. To continue the retro theme I am going to veneer these in Black stained Ash.

Creative Sound Solutions in Canada sell the CHR70 drivers for $38US each but do a paper cone version - EL70 - which they are offering as a kit of parts ( 4 EL70, 2 ports, binding posts, connectors and hook-up wires) for the Planet10 dual EL70 microTower and all for $170US. Check out http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php ... L70KITMT2.

DaveD of Planet 10 also does fully EnABLed modified and upgraded versions of both the CHR70 and EL70 drivers but you'll have to check with Dave for prices of these.

Some pictures below:
Attachments
The basic (minimal) components for a single cabinet
The basic (minimal) components for a single cabinet
The drivers them selves. Dave the Bass and all you tichy driver fans are gonna love these!
The drivers them selves. Dave the Bass and all you tichy driver fans are gonna love these!
And in good Blue Peter fashion, here's one I assemmbled earlier
And in good Blue Peter fashion, here's one I assemmbled earlier
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Phwwwwwwwwoooooooaaaarrrrrr!

A good little 'un beats a duff big un everytime :lol:

Very interested in these Colin, keep the pics coming. Looking forward to hearing 'em.

DTB

PS. Y, IDSWYDT.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Dave the bass wrote:A good little 'un beats a duff big un everytime :lol:
Profound words there D The B

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
cressy
Shed dweller

Post by cressy »

nothing you do is 'blue peter fashion colin :lol: i really cant imagine you faffing with sticky back plastic!
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Ant,

Why do you think I veneer all my speakers :wink: :wink:

More progress in this afternoon's sun. Cabinet No1 is all glued up lined with wool felt and ready for a sanding down before veneering.

To please Dave the Bass another piccy of progress.
Attachments
Internals lined with 1/2" wool underlay, courtesy Mr Bass, and the second side panel lined and ready for glueing in place.
Internals lined with 1/2" wool underlay, courtesy Mr Bass, and the second side panel lined and ready for glueing in place.
planet10
Old Hand

Post by planet10 »

Colin,

If you haven't glued these up yet, you can do a lot better with the bracing... your currently shown braces are not oriented optimally.

dave

Edit: looks like my comment is too late.
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

planet10 wrote: Edit: looks like my comment is too late.
Maybe, but just for the sake of interest, what would you have done differently?
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Dave,

The internal bracers was discussed with the designer.
From his initial sketch I drew up a few. One with 40% holes, one with 6-windows and 25mm cross members and one with 3 windows and 18mm cross members. All to be machined from a single piece of 18mm ply.

He advised that 'by a counrty mile' (his words not mine) the latter was by far the more suited to this particular design. So who am I to argue.

He also stated these should not be evenly spaced, of which they are not.

As I intend to bevel the front and top edges 45deg I have added some 1/2" x 3/4" internal corner braces at these locations.

Out of interest what would you have done differently?
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Great stuff as usual Colin, there'll certainly be plenty of listening options at chez Toppsy :)
planet10
Old Hand

Post by planet10 »

shane wrote: Maybe, but just for the sake of interest, what would you have done differently?
A brace works best if the sub-panels created by the brace have higher aspect ratios (they shouldn't be the same) than the original panel being braced.

Sounds like there may have another purpose for these ones thou. Colin's is the beta build for these. If the Castle version of the microTowers are any indication they should do very well. They should have an edge in bottom due to the extra cabinet volume.

Colin, have you excersized your EnABL kit yet?

dave
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Colin, have you excersized your EnABL kit yet?
Not yet Dave. I'll send you email so you can remind me again the process regards these drivers and the A10's and the materials I need from Bud.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Progress has been slow due to the persistant rain we've had here in the NW of late and my workshop being outdoors on the patio. Must clear some space in the garage, but that's another story.

Well one speaker in completed and finished in European Oak and 2-coats of Liberon Finishing Oil. I know I said I was gonna retro finish these in Black Ash, but I got persuaded by my luvly wife to use some this Oak I've had for a while.

I've had a quick listen to this single speaker to a few mono tracks of The Who and these show real promise.

Pictures of the fished speaker below:

EDIT. If this good dry sunny weather holds out I should have the other finished tomorrow evening. Fingers crossed.
Attachments
PA070062.JPG
PA070063.JPG
PA070061.JPG
Last edited by Toppsy on Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Sooperb idea.

Speakers with an ashtray built-in on top :-)

Top work there Colin.

DTB
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

BTB wrote
Speakers with an ashtray built-in on top :)
Good job no one smokes in our house.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Toppsy wrote:BTB wrote
Speakers with an ashtray built-in on top :)
Good job no one smokes in our house.
:lol:

Same here, but some pesky person in my house has taken to using the ports on my Saburo's as a place for filing A4 folders :lol:

I've never heard a speaker with cones in the position before, looking forward to hearing these Colin.

Neat job as always, well done.

DTB