Something stirs in the Undergrowth

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Kent men go to work on motorcycles. :wink:

Or, at least two on here do. :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by jack »

I have to commute into Cannon Street - about 50 minutes each way from our little village. Man of Kent, me, not some lowly Kentish Man :)

Not normally a bad trip at all - nice, air-conditioned, bright, modern trains - lovely countryside. Nice & cosy...

Bet you froze your nads off this morning :)
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

nickds1 wrote:I have to commute into Cannon Street - about 50 minutes each way from our little village. Man of Kent, me, not some lowly Kentish Man :)

Not normally a bad trip at all - nice, air-conditioned, bright, modern trains - lovely countryside. Nice & cosy...

Bet you froze your nads off this morning :)
No me, I'm an Essex boy. I ride for pleasure only, but that can include green lanes in the depths of winter. :)

Edmund Burke

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Back on topic, they look really good Mark. :)

Edmund Burke

Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

They assemble fish tanks with nothing more than clear silicon. But that is glass.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by jack »

Paul Barker wrote:They assemble fish tanks with nothing more than clear silicon. But that is glass.
...and its not about 1 inch thick - we have a Jewel fish tank with the black silicone sealant corners, but in all honesty its not that attractive and the glass is only about 4mm thick...

Those speakers look absolutely F.A.B. I hate to think what the machines acrylic cost :(
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
steve s
Shed dweller

Post by steve s »

impressive mark, they look very good , I hope they work out for you

my diy has got progressively worse over the last few years as I realise nothing I make is ever permanent enough to warrant doing too good a job.

but hopefully yours looking as good as that, will be much more permanent
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Steve - your stuff is always well-enough made and impressive considering how quickly you work . I was particularly impressed with your new amps at the last Owston - very original .

Nick - the cost of the two perspex front panels ( 1000mmx460mmx20mm ) with two accurate speaker cut-outs in each, including the packing and courier to North Wales, was £250 .

Well, here below another two pics :
(i) Daylight shot of unit no.1 - shows it a bit better
(ii) Fwoarr ! - chokes have arrived !
Attachments
MJQuasar_choke8p2.JPG
MJQuasar_day1s.JPG
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

Phuaaarrrr 8)
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1465 1st

Post by IslandPink »

Having a listen now with crossover as per page 95, except the choke is 8.2mH and I've gone for about 135uF cap .
There's been a fair bit of Brand X and King Crimson so far :D
Waiting for a mountain of capacitors to run in. Lots to enjoy. The house 'Quasar ' sound is there . Dynamics are great , bass articulation really good. Tone is good, but not quite there. The 208Ez has the expected slight harshness on vocal and a bit bright. The overall presentaion is a bit bright and lean, so I think I might reduce the 3.3R on the Supravox with 1.5R . I can clip-lead it out first, to get a feel for the changes. More running-in required for now though .
Attachments
MJQuasar_cross1.JPG
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Cor!

Enjoy..
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Looking good Mark. Very interested to see how they compare to mine.

Are the 208s new? Mine did improve quite a bit as they ran in, but it was 10 years ago now and I just don't remember how they changed :-(.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

They're new-ish, but both have been used a bit on the open-baffle experiments . I think this unit has been used less. The Supravox from Steve is also lightly used .
I need to install some socket nuts on the upper baffle section and fit a temporary piece of wood there, it will slightly improve the bass extension.
I now need to look more at the option for a 4kHz notch filter inside the amp , as I mentioned before ( to take the edge off the Fostex peak ) .
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Two updates :
(i) taking off the 3.3R on the Supravox sounds better. Obviously theory and practice for the crossover are different on this combo . Simon - have you run these two drivers yet ?
(ii) I tried messing about with LT Spice making a RCL notch filter inside a 4P1L/300B amp and didn't get very far. Welcome to the next level ? ( Nick - :D any ideas ? ) .

The Fostex is too aggressive on vocals ( as expected from previous lash-ups ) and will need something .. but in my case an 800Hz low-pass may be enough to tame the 4kHz area without a notch, anyway ( long-term ) .
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

IslandPink wrote: (ii) I tried messing about with LT Spice making a RCL notch filter inside a 4P1L/300B amp and didn't get very far. Welcome to the next level ? ( Nick - :D any ideas ? ) .
Not sure, but sounds like its not worth a lot of complexity if the horn is going to take over that area anyway,

But this link might help

http://sim.okawa-denshi.jp/en/RLCbekeisan.htm
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.