Something stirs in the Undergrowth

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
g3dahl
User

Post by g3dahl »

I use Audacity on my Mac. In the current version, importing is done by going to File > Import > Audio, then browsing and selecting the desired file. In the previous version, it was under Project > Import Audio.

Are you able to import a file, but only with truncated bandwidth? I'm not quite sure what you are running up against.

Gary Dahl
So many tubes, so little time...
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Thanks Gary - that sounds worth trying . I'm not able to import the file ( yet ) that's the problem . The truncated bandwidth was seen on an analysis using 'Audacity' . I wanted to check the same wav file using AudioTester .
Now however, AudioTester won't load and shows lots of error messages before crashing .
I had some of this when I shut it down last night .
Looks like I'll have to reinstall with some different choices.
It seems to be getting all screwed-up about where to locate and call files from .
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Just re-installed the program .
'File' has no 'import' option in my drop-downs . Have checked elsewhere, can't see anything ; and the help routine returns no matches for 'import' .
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

OK, I've got the equipment set up for test again . Just had the white noise playing into the microphone input, and it's showing on the screen on a nice frequency graph . What it seems to be doing at present is showing a real-time FFT that is all dancing about and noisy . I'm wondering next how to capture a load of this raw data and then produce a better FFT curve from it ?
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

OK, I sussed something about the 'average' window . If I rack the number up from '1' to about '250' , it gathers data for about 25 seconds and produces a much better plot . I've no idea which sort of the many transforms is best , but here is the default (Rife Vince 3) . It still cuts off at 8kHz, but there's enough data for me to make a quick adjustment of the feed resistor to the tweeter to bring down the level above 5k . I'll do as much as I can in the next half an hour then pack up . Any hints/tips gratefully received !
Attachments
Freq1_Pinkzilla_125m_axis.JPG
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Ah well, have to admit defeat for now . The above plot is not meaningful, as the response doesn't change when I disconnect the tweeter . If I capture data while the sound is not playing, I get a different curve, but only a little lower , around the -110dB level on the above pic. So whatever I'm feeding the soundcard is barely above the noise floor, for some reason . ( Yes, I have the mic pre-amp switched on ! ) . Only the area above about 4k is really peeking above the noise floor .
I'll have to come back to this in about 10 days time .

Edit : Oh fer 'cks sake, the connector into the microphone wasn't quite plugged-in fully !
Help, need to eat something before I faint !
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Ok, before I finally stopped, I managed to take about 4 more measurements, this time with the input level much higher - ie. the microphone input now working !
See below , with crossovers , 6.8R input resistor to tweeter crossover on this .
This seemed very hopefully at first . I then took further measurements , a second - just a repeat ; then with the tweeter connected without the 6.8k in series to check the level above 5 k would rise ; then a test without the tweeter, but with just the Fostex and its LP crossover ; then a test with the Fostex alone without its LP crossover . The plots are all the same :roll:
So, I'm now really fed-up !
(ps. yes, all of these four set-ups sound different to the ears )
Attachments
Freq1_Pinkzilla_125m_axis_iii.JPG
g3dahl
User

Post by g3dahl »

Hi Mark,

Try this help page. Looks like you need to use File > Open.

Gary Dahl
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Yes, but that's Audacity, Gary :wink:
I think I got past the problems with Audiotester by doing the measurements again and analysing them real-time, but the bigger problem now is what on earth happened on the last four plots I captured, as the data seems to be the same, to all intents and purposes. Also the soundcard now seems to be limited to 8KHz ... maybe I changed it some time after 2009 ? - can't remember .
g3dahl
User

Post by g3dahl »

I misunderstood you, then; I thought you were having trouble importing audio into Audacity. I do hope you can get your sound card squared away--optimizing a speaker design is challenging enough when the test equipment is behaving properly.

Gary Dahl
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Thanks . I had some email discussion with Nick today. Hoping to get a better soundcard for the PC .
slowmotion
Old Hand

Post by slowmotion »

But how does the music sound?
- Jan -
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

The music sounds great at times, but not as universally great as it did on Sunday !
There has been some run-in of drivers and components, I suspect, plus the usual passage of time making me more critical .
So, I'm not sure at present what is causing the rough edges . The crossover was designed using some sims on LT Spice plus some guesswork . A basic FR plot from axis and about 10 degrees was my first step in de-bugging this situation .
At present there are a few possibilities -
Treble level from tweeter too high - increase series resistor
Fostex 'crud' in area from 5k up still too high in the mix - in which case use a bigger LP choke and/or a zobel to the Fostex.
Tweeter HP set too low - adding a hump in FR around 5kHz .
Time alignment to tweeter not quite right - it is set back by around 20mm at the moment .

Anyway, I think the time-alignment is pretty good, as the tests on Sunday did get a very nice level of integration and 'space' developing around the baffle . Guitars sound very good . Vocals sound pretty realistic - female ones at least. I need more output below 250Hz to get the male vocals right - that comes later . Tone is strong, but a bit too bright now in the treble generally .

If I can sort out whether the tweeter series cap needs to change ( to alter the ~5kHz HP upslope ) then I can buy a better quality cap for this item , which will clean-up the HF a bit more .
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

I got a "better" sound balance on my baffles by padding the fostex with a 2R resistor, but mine is a series crossover if that makes a difference.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

It's a different situation Phil . I have the Fostex at about 95/96dB where it crosses to the G3 ribbon at ~100db/w . The tweeter needs to come down . 4.7R sounds roughly right so far.