Yorkshire Hi-Fi Club

Subjects that don't have their own home
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#256 Re: Yorkshire Hi-Fi Club

Post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

That is true of everything so why try and differentiate or compare anything with anything, is that what you are saying. You see we have a fundamental difference that causes this. For me cable is a component in a system, the same as any other component and of equal importance and requires the same level of care in selection. The only place I differ with other cable supporters is with mains cable, as for me it has minimal importance and that difference is largely voided by hard wiring. NVA being made to ClassII appliance regs I have to hard wire so that possibility of choice is removed, so I pick a good (value) one and that is it!

Yes there are circumstances and design choices that nullify cable differences. Exampled by output transformers in valve amps. The reactance of these devices swamps the tuned circuit or material effects of cable, which is clearly shown by the use of very expensive and well made ones and cable differences come back again. Again highly reactive cable especially capacitance again can intereact and kill any differences, and in some cases kill amplifiers as well.

So I believe there are two things going on, the best cable is the best cable and should show itself as such, BUT there are systems where the best cable might not show itself as such and because of other circumstances, which for me represent bad design, can cause that to change. Best example of this is is Litz or Goertz cables, if an amp is highly filtered they can brighten them up, this is artificial and applying a cure to a disease that should be there in the first place, and yet they can (and have) killed many less filtered amplifiers.

Common sense and the laws of physics as in reactance and tuned circuits obviously applies.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#257 Re: Yorkshire Hi-Fi Club

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I have often reflected on 'common sense' as being an oxymoron.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to give up worrying about speaker cables....hold on... I haven't got any on the system I listen with daily. The cables upstairscare half 8tc and half(The left side) 4tc from Russ wotsisname stable - valve amp though.

Looks like we need a cable bake off!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#258 Re: Yorkshire Hi-Fi Club

Post by mainscablesrus »

Next meeting early December date to be announced.

DAC's and a possible talk by David Shevyn from GIK Acoustics, who is up for that?

CAD 1543 MKII

PS Audio Directstream

Longdog VdT1

Mytek Brooklyn

iFI Micro iDSD Black Label

Other donor DAC's welcomed

Source will be a Melco storage device and a Mac Mini (please someone say they can bring one)
You can't change how people treat you or what they say about you. All you can do is change how you react to it.
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#259 Re: Yorkshire Hi-Fi Club

Post by mainscablesrus »

January 2018 we are on for another meeting at my shop.

Probably 21st or 28th.

DAC's if everyone is OK with that?
You can't change how people treat you or what they say about you. All you can do is change how you react to it.
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#260 Re: Yorkshire Hi-Fi Club

Post by mainscablesrus »

Apart from slowly dying is anyone awake on this forum?
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#261 Re: Yorkshire Hi-Fi Club

Post by pre65 »

mainscablesrus wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:28 pm Apart from slowly dying is anyone awake on this forum?
Quite a few post more regularly than you David. :wink:

Have you actually decided on the date yet ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
steve s
Shed dweller

#262 Re: Yorkshire Hi-Fi Club

Post by steve s »

I'm awake Dave but I'm not comming across this time. Next time all being well ?
Cheers
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#263 Re: Yorkshire Hi-Fi Club

Post by The Stratmangler »

I'm not awake :sleepy2:
Have you got a fixed date yet, David?
Chris :happy3:
ed
retired

#264 Re: Yorkshire Hi-Fi Club

Post by ed »

mainscablesrus wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:28 pm Apart from slowly dying is anyone awake on this forum?
we're all slowly dying, it's just so unkind to remind us...
these days I'm never sure if I'm awake or not, there's such a fine line between in and out...
sadly unable to make the get together but maybe the next time, especially if it's a choke loaded jfet amp comparison....
but seriously I'm keen to hear if anybody has any of the Soekris offerings being demoed, I'm still creeping up on this one.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#265 Re: Yorkshire Hi-Fi Club

Post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I have little interest in DACs. Amplifier one would be good.
antonio66
User

#266 Re: Yorkshire Hi-Fi Club

Post by antonio66 »

The dac list above looks very interesting, plus any brought along by attendees. For me it is just too far to travel, but I hope everyone has a great day and look forward to your findings.
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#267 Re: Yorkshire Hi-Fi Club

Post by mainscablesrus »

Looks like it should be a good day but alas its too far for me, I don't like DAC's, I am not going if he goes, same old bullshit different day.. :kermit:

CONFIRMED Sunday 28th January. :)
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#268 Re: Yorkshire Hi-Fi Club

Post by IslandPink »

I'm a bit spoilt for DACs, as you know David, the unit I have ...
But I will get over you your place some time this year - promise !
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#269 Re: Yorkshire Hi-Fi Club

Post by mainscablesrus »

IslandPink wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:22 pm I'm a bit spoilt for DACs, as you know David, the unit I have ...
But I will get over you your place some time this year - promise !
Well if the subject matter for the meeting is not to your liking tell me what is and I will change it just to make sure you attend dude?
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#270 Re: Yorkshire Hi-Fi Club

Post by IslandPink »

Leave this one as it is - I've been chasing around a lot in the last 4 weeks, last week was Brighton ( for a funeral ) and London, I just need some quiet time in next 2-3 weeks to get on with stuff, then I'm off to Lakes for a week beginning of Feb.
There's not much I need to hear these days, analogue front-ends perhaps, but mainly speakers , so your current ones are of interest, but I really want to hear longer horn units like Tannoys / Klipschhorn at the moment. ( Vox Olympian would be nice - but that will be a special trip down to Kevin's place ! )
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"