Something stirs in the Undergrowth

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
chris661
Shed dweller

Post by chris661 »

Ah yeah, that was my first Eggborough, having built the 6EM7 SET. Nice amp.

Track was Suzanna Vega - Queen and the Soldier (Live), running straight out of iTunes via a cheapie USB soundcard. Can't remember if it was LossLess or not, though.

The cabinets were some folded Voigt pipes, good for around 70Hz in the bottom end, which is rather good going when the driver usually needs a horn.

Only problem with those FE126s for me was that they have increasing THD as the volume level goes up, making them sound louder than they ought to. Result was that I kept having to turn my subs up to keep up with the Fostexs' new apparent volume.
Still got those drivers, though, in a rather nice cabinet that our-Colin made up. I'm using PA speakers for a stereo at the mo (the headroom's lovely, but they don't do detail like the Fostexes), so they'll be a nice second system once I've got my own place.

Chris
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#677 Re: Visaton b200

Post by Ali Tait »

harryzweben wrote:A while back I built a three way OB with Hawthorn Augies in the bottom, run off of a plate amp to roughly 100hz, Visaton B200 8" mids a Aurum Cantus G2si teeters crossed high. It was a pretty nice set up, and a friend in BC bought them when I realized that OB is not really for me. That being said, the B200 is a very special high efficiency driver once broken in. Sounds like dog shit at first, though. Depending upon the application, I would think that it would be terrific in a sealed box...

Harry
Yes, I use the B200 in my OB's, nice driver.
BudP
User

Post by BudP »

The thing to know about EnABL is that is doesn't improve a speakers inherent physical performance. This has been one of the difficult notions to get across to deniers.

All those odd patterns are doing is dispersing the eruption zones that cause an air borne cellular emission zone, driven by transverse wave emission, to arise from out of the driver membrane. These cellular emissions cause two major problems. One is the steering of frequencies into non minimum phase emissions. The second is a "reprinting" phenomena, that arises because of the energy transform within those cellular structures, out in the surrounding air.

Got all of that gobbldygook?

Watch this video for further confusion.

What the EnABL patterns are doing is dispersing the cause of non pistonic transform activity. And doing it without changing the non minimum phase physical activities inherent to vibrating devices that cannot enjoy consistent actuation, as is found in large scale driven film speakers. This does mean that "physical breakup" is not the cause of loudspeakers sounding like loud speakers, rather than the music they should sound like.

What you heard at Chris's place was what the Fostex drivers really sound like. They still have all of the issues he noted, created by their physical construction. What they no longer have are the issues caused by non minimum phase emissions into air, rather than non minimum phase activities of the diaphragm.

I do realize that none of this makes any intuitive sense, nor very much objective sense either.
"You and I and every other thing are a dependent arising, empty of any inherent reality" Tsong Ko Pa
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

I watched that you tube video and had Hawkwinds 1st album playing at the same time.

It was amazing. :)

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Dave the bass wrote:I watched that you tube video and had Hawkwinds 1st album playing at the same time.

It was amazing. :)

DTB
Ha Ha. Get you. Were you completely straight at the time? Were you doing naked dancing? Maybe a reply to that would be too much information :wink:
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
Douglas Adams (HHGTTG)
BudP
User

Post by BudP »

no no let's get into that naked dancing thing.... perhaps painted blue, out on a hill top with the early morning sun just painting a fresh scene.... lots more fun than spotted speakers......

In addition, you should also listen to the audio track on the video. Very appropriate to you blokes.
"You and I and every other thing are a dependent arising, empty of any inherent reality" Tsong Ko Pa
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Bud - that's an excellent little film - much better than many recent feature films . Does it actually indicate there are overtones or resonances moving around the cone tangentially, though, or is that a peculiarity of the way the non-newtonian fluids behave to dissipate their energy ?
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
BudP
User

Post by BudP »

Mark, Here are the other three in the series. Not as interesting, except for "Monkey Nuts", which will be familiar to folks on your side of the lake and not so much on our side......

Does it actually indicate there are overtones or resonances moving around the cone tangentially, though, or is that a peculiarity of the way the non-newtonian fluids behave to dissipate their energy ?
What is being shown, that is of interest to EnABL, is the activity that gives rise to a non-newtonian fluid, forming a torus of energetic particles, flowing within a space defined by some sort of "fence". The fence, on some other shape of diaphragm, will be in a different location / locations. The fence will "move around" due to frequency and amplitude. The round shape shown forces some limits on these "moving fences" and also provides some additional emission patterns found only in round emitters. Those "hands" moving around the periphery of the torus as an instance.

In a cone, as an example, the fences are even more constrained by geometry. I do not have a movie of non-newtonian fluids for this, but I have discovered how to find the fence circumferences that arise on cones. Their eventual locations are rather intriguing. Typically the first 1/4 to 1/3 of a cone, as measured radially from the voice coil to surround, has no fence at all. This area does correspond to the physical minimum phase sector of frequency response. As we move further from the voice coil a number of fences show up, sometimes in even divisions across the remaining radial distance and just as often not in even divisions. The portion shown in the movie as rotating emissions (like weather cocks) are also available, out near the outer perimeter of the cone. These are actually Raleigh waves and while only bounded by an EnABL pattern, they are actually damped out by a coating applied to the back side of the cone, since the subducted energy within the cone bounces off of the nether side before erupting through the front side of the cone.

The fence zones on a cone are actually fixed in place and applying an EnABL pattern right on the discovered circumference does eliminate their audible disturbance of a complex signal. Individual test tones are not as audibly affected, except in their emission included angle as you move across the cone face.

And here are some troublesome notes. There are fences on baffle boards that are directly related to round or rectangular holes cut in the baffle board. They are not available until those holes are cut. They are defeated in the same fashion and are as fixed in location as those fences on a cone. Their dispersal mainly affects the included angle of high frequencies, along with the phase relationship between those frequencies and the minimum phase frequencies arising from the inner 1/4 to 1/3 of the cone.

There are also fences at baffle terminus and dispersing them greatly reduces edge combing, even if the baffle is curved at that edge.

These fences can also be discovered and dispersed on all horn flares and their attendant compression driver.

These fence dispersal events on baffle boards are subtle in effect, but once combined with an EnABL'd driver are very noticeable. Especially as you move about a room and discover that there is no particular sweet spot, no lobes of frequency bands and a startling coherence to complex signals...like music for example.

There are some more dispersal events that take place from removing these fences and I do have some test results that can be beaten into submission to show those results, but they are even weirder than what I have already presented.
Romy The Cat
User

#684 Test

Post by Romy The Cat »

Lynn Olson
User

Post by Lynn Olson »

Removed by Lynn Olson.
Last edited by Lynn Olson on Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Romy The Cat
User

Post by Romy The Cat »

Lynn Olson wrote:Yeesh. Dr. Earl and POOH as the self-appointed experts in the other forum, and now we get Romy in here.

What is it about horns that brings out such aggression and hostility? It's like the Looney Tunes version of a fundamentalist cult.

Mods, time to do your thing.
What, the aggression and hostility? Lynn, are you catapulted from another planet of did not fill you prescription last night? Where did you see any aggression and hostility? I invest my time to educate you about something and in response I see an emblematic Moronic accusation and request to sensor me. I am sorry, you ended is a fool not worthy my time. Keep pontificating in another 10304054 post about virtual project of yours and impotent theories.
chris661
Shed dweller

#687 Re: Test

Post by chris661 »

Romy The Cat
User

#688 Re: Test

Post by Romy The Cat »

Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Mods, time to do your thing.
I will invoke my near superhuman powers of doing as little as possible and continue treating people (all of them) as adults. It normally works out just fine. All I ask is we all do the same.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Lynn Olson
User

Post by Lynn Olson »

Removed by Lynn Olson.
Last edited by Lynn Olson on Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.