Rust converter.

Subjects that don't have their own home
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1 Rust converter.

Post by pre65 »

When I was a much younger person, I used a rust treatment that was supposed to convert rusty surfaces to magnetite (from memory), then one applied a second coating of what looked like clear varnish.

Fast forward to today, and are there any recommendations for a modern equivalent that actually works ?

Of course there are lots of things that Google bring up, but I'm not a believer in marketing hogwash.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#2 Re: Rust converter.

Post by jack »

pre65 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:07 pm When I was a much younger person, I used a rust treatment that was supposed to convert rusty surfaces to magnetite (from memory), then one applied a second coating of what looked like clear varnish.

Fast forward to today, and are there any recommendations for a modern equivalent that actually works ?

Of course there are lots of things that Google bring up, but I'm not a believer in marketing hogwash.
I use phosphoric acid. Buy 5ltrs at a time.

You get gels etc. for a lot more money, but my understanding is that they're just phosphoric acid in a gel.

Plus, it's REALLY good at descaling nasty toilet bowls...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3 Re: Rust converter.

Post by pre65 »

Thanks Nick, I'm aware of some acid based gel rust removers, but the one I was thinking of was supposed to convert rust to an inert substance by chemical reaction. It made the rust turn black from memory.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#4 Re: Rust converter.

Post by Ray P »

jack wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:09 pm [Plus, it's REALLY good at descaling nasty toilet bowls...
What are you saying?
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#5 Re: Rust converter.

Post by Ali Tait »

Corroseal if memory serves Phil.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#6 Re: Rust converter.

Post by Paul Barker »

Jenolite is one but it was banned because of the phosphoric acid.

Yes as Nick says just buy phosphoric acid. It converts the iron oxide into a black coating.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#7 Re: Rust converter.

Post by vinylnvalves »

Vactan is an established product it has a lacquer incorporated in it. I have used it, and seen it used commercially. The other product I have used to primer a rusting wheel arch on a Renault was a product called rustbullet. Was sold by a VW camper van restorer down south. It was silver the same colour as the car so I never added a topcoat to it, no rust had appeared when I sold the car 5 years later.
Neal
Shed dweller

#8 Re: Rust converter.

Post by Neal »

Phil, I’ve used this extensively on my cars: https://www.rust.co.uk/product/cat/fe-1 ... nverter-10 Having 40 yr old Italian ones you have too! :shock:

Another good one I’ve used is Dinitrol RC900, this one requires no secondary coating but I always cover with Dinitrol 4941 or similar
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.