what are you doing ?

Subjects that don't have their own home
Ant
Shed dweller

#661 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Ant »

Yes but i really dont want to use it on something like this and hike the next years premium
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Greg
Social outcast

#662 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Greg »

When I made a claim for exactly the same accident, the insurance renewal hike didn’t match the overall cost of the cartridge replacement. I suppose it depends who you are insured with.
Greg
Social outcast

#663 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Greg »

Neal wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:10 pm ....cut off parallel to the ground and yes I got soaked as I was lying down to get a square cut,.......
Sorry, I had to laugh. I saw this coming.......

We have a 1962 semi detached house with conjoined guttering fortunately linked into the water waste system, so no worries about congestion of soak away systems. Furthermore, all down pipes have grill covered sump access so, periodically we just need to get down and dirty and scoop out the sump of all the silt, grit, moss and other crap that gets collected from the building and atmosphere. Does make me wonder how good more recent regs are. Surely, all buildings should have easy access to clear/maintain any drainage system?
Ant
Shed dweller

#664 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Ant »

I really only have it for if something rediculous happens, like the ceiling falls in or something and i have to replace a load of stuff
Having worked in the insurance industry for so long, im very very wary about claiming for anything that isnt absolutely essential
Id rather save up and replace it

Greg
Social outcast

#665 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Greg »

Ant wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:09 pm Having worked in the insurance industry for so long, im very very wary about claiming for anything that isnt absolutely essential
Id rather save up and replace it
Good advice. Have to say my current policy maybe very good, but it is certainly overpriced and I am about to search for something much cheaper.
Neal
Shed dweller

#666 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Neal »

Greg wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:06 pm
Neal wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:10 pm ....cut off parallel to the ground and yes I got soaked as I was lying down to get a square cut,.......
Sorry, I had to laugh. I saw this coming.......

We have a 1962 semi detached house with conjoined guttering fortunately linked into the water waste system, so no worries about congestion of soak away systems. Furthermore, all down pipes have grill covered sump access so, periodically we just need to get down and dirty and scoop out the sump of all the silt, grit, moss and other crap that gets collected from the building and atmosphere. Does make me wonder how good more recent regs are. Surely, all buildings should have easy access to clear/maintain any drainage system?
:lol: Yes I knew it was coming but had to finish cutting, amazing how much water was in there :shock:

One of the pipes I’ll fit a shoe and let the water run off down the drive into the road. The two in the pic above are more troublesome, I’m going to dig down as far as I can to try and see where they end. Worst case, I’ll have to cut a channel into the concrete and direct the water into that and let it run off into the front grass.....sorry front moss :mrgreen:
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#667 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Toppsy »

Not sure if you guys are aware that if all the surface water run-off from your property goes to soakaway and non the rainwater enters the public sewerage system then you shouldn't be paying the full charge your water company levy on your property. Just lodge an enquiry explaining you are connected to soakaways for SW runoff and they should send out an Engineer to check connections. If memory serves from my times at Severn Trent Water, Yorkshire Water and Northwest Water (now United Utilities) you can claim overpayments back 5-years.

Neil,
under current drainage regulations/legislation it is illegal to discharge surface water runoff from a downpipe within your curtilage directly onto a public highway.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#668 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by IslandPink »

This weekend i shall be mostly ... nursing a bad toothache.
After the fridge business, then the exploding heated window on the car, just looking forward to a relaxing 4 days off.. now this. Appt with dentist on Tuesday.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#669 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Toppsy »

Mark,
they say bad luck comes in three's, so hopefully you have now had your lot and can start to look forward to some better good luck days ahead.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#670 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by jack »

Today, I are mostly making a sauna and summerhouse....

Ground works done (site levelled plus 8 tonnes of MOT type 1 whacked down) and a 2x4 floor template constructed and laid. This will be covered with P5 (water resistant) 22mm T&G flooring density chipboard. Then a 3.5x4.5mtr cabin will be added. I'm hiring a "trencher" to dig a 50mtr long x 0.5mtr deep x 10cm wide trench for some SWA armoured cable and alkathene pipe. I'll tee the power into my office to give a 40A feed to the sauna.

1/3rd of the building will be sauna and the remainder a summer house. There are double doors looking towards the north downs (as in the photos). In front there will be a 2mtr wide decking platform... Hoping to metal clad the roof...

Tonnes of stuff still to do.
IMG_20200829_162102_copy_604x805.jpg
IMG_20200829_162040_copy_483x644.jpg
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#671 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by IslandPink »

Toppsy wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:27 pm Mark,
they say bad luck comes in three's,
Thanks Colin. I think it's slightly better today.
I managed a 2 hr walk on the hills, it seems the tooth is quite happy if it's cold !
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Greg
Social outcast

#672 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Greg »

jack wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:41 pm Today, I are mostly making a sauna and summerhouse....
How many stakes are you intending to support that raft?
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#673 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by jack »

Greg wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:33 am
jack wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:41 pm Today, I are mostly making a sauna and summerhouse....
How many stakes are you intending to support that raft?
It's supported on multiple concrete slabs and staked to the ground to prevent movement...

There's quite a lot of sub-surface water in that part of the site, so I'm lifting the building slightly. Odd, as we're on one of the highest hills in Kent, but artesian pressure in the underlying chalk due to rainfall on the North and South Downs pushes water up inside our hill...

So, despite being high up, we have a well, which in the autumn and winter is full to within 2ft of the top. Neighbouring houses have names like Fountain House, Stream Cottage, Trowswell, Jetwell etc.

Cottages up by the church, slightly higher than us, all have Wells - the whole high street in this village is listed grade II - the wells have been there for 100s of years.

The reduction in artesian water abstraction in London to the north has also led to increased water in the chalk here...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Ant
Shed dweller

#674 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Ant »

Just recieved a mofi studiomaster phono stage so having a play with it.
I bought it to replace the graham slee phono so that i could use some of my other carts in place of the broken eroica mc.
Got it on a good deal from superfi at 239 quid. Cheaper than replacing the eroica like for like, so it seemed like a good idea, meant i could use my other dynavector on the linear tracker.
Also ordered a custom mains transformer from toroidy for the busted cole phono stage which nick has very kindly found time to have a look at for me.
A pretty reasonable price for it too,

Ant
Shed dweller

#675 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Ant »

Been fighting with the linear arm for the past 2 days trying to get the set up back to where it was after swapping the carts about.
Ive ended up with a shure m55e on the jvc, and the dv back on the linear arm.
It was driving me up the wall with the denon in it.
The set up window where its performance is, is miniscule.
Its either right or wrong, and very little in between.
All the faffing since the dual motor packed up, and then my clumsiness with the eroica had put it well out of the performance window.
After some measuring, i made a jig out of some black acrylic i had laying around to aid setup.
It sits on the spindle like a normal protractor does, with a centre line scribed on it that runs through the spindle hole centre to describe the tangent the stylus is supposed to trace.
Its shaped and sized so that it sits against the front face of the base of the arm, which has a flat front face about 3" long. Which means that it automatically aligns the arm to the tangent line scribed on it.
The cart has about 2mm of fore/aft alignment adjustment, so it can be then finessed onto the tangent line with the arm base alreadly locked down into position. Which stops it twisting off the tangent line.
Its now just about back to where it should be.
And i have less hair