what are you doing ?

Subjects that don't have their own home
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#346 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by pre65 »

At my school, we did woodwork and metalwork for a couple of years, then we had to choose one or other.

I chose metalwork, and yes, we all made the obligatory screwdriver with cast on aluminium handle, which was machined on the lathe then knurled. After school, at Marconi all the apprentices went through workshop training which has stood me in great stead since then.

I went to the local Sainsburys after lunch, mainly for my cod liver oil/vitamin D tablets. Only 9 miles each way. This afternoon I had a couple of hours in the garden relaxing, and getting some natural vitamin D.

Also, heard the first Cuckoo of the year. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Neal
Shed dweller

#347 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Neal »

First IT job for 8 weeks today, flipping heck am I unfit! Been laying network cable runs and installing a couple of kiosks. Up and down ladders all day I’m knakered!
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#348 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by pre65 »

Some chap knocked on my door last week and offered to buy my caravan.

Initially I refused, but he made a more than acceptable cash offer, and picked it up yesterday.

To be honest, I've only used it for one long weekend since 2013, and it had a few problems, so I'm glad to see it go.

Now I have a large bare patch on my front lawn.

That means the cost of having the hot water cylinder done (cash job) and also enough parts to get down and finish off the 833a monoblocks rebuild. :D

Edmund Burke

IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#349 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by IslandPink »

Result !
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#350 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Ray P »

Maybe something for Mike H to be going on with?

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-b ... ative.html
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
ed
retired

#351 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by ed »

Ray P wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 7:27 am Maybe something for Mike H to be going on with?

maybe...

I may be wrong but I have a feeling Nigel's circuit originated in a 1990s Maplin mag(Dave Goodman?) which Mike may have contributed to??

either way the original circuit had 2sk135/2sj50 which have been replaced in many circuits with the hitachi and exicon latfets. Rod Elliot also does a well respected and similar thing.

I did a very simplified vesion trying to isolate the latfet sound which I brought to Owston a couple of years ago...still use it and rate it highly. I still beleive these latfet circuits have merit.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#352 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by pre65 »

Those Maplin 50W Mosfet modules were very nearly (several times) my first amplifier project.

I was going to use a sloping front instrument case to house them in and had cut out life size card templates of all the components to see how everything would fit.

There is someone on Ebay still selling what look like the original modules, and the higher powered version with more mosfets.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EBB-150-Mosf ... XQjwVQ9ajH

Edmund Burke

Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#353 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Ray P »

ed wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 10:13 am I may be wrong but I have a feeling Nigel's circuit originated in a 1990s Maplin mag(Dave Goodman?) which Mike may have contributed to??
Yes, I was wondering if Mike had any involvement during his previous life at Maplin...
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#354 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by izzy wizzy »

My first DIY power amp amp was something like this back in the early 80s. It seems a very reasonable price for the PCB.
shane
Social outcast

#355 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by shane »

At last!

The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#356 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Dave the bass »

You got someone to row your boat!?
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
shane
Social outcast

#357 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by shane »

Yeah, some old git who had nothing better to do!
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#358 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by pre65 »

I went for a walk with a friend this morning, it was good to see him in the flesh and have a good chat to catch up on things.

Everyone we saw was keen to keep their distance so as to keep within current guidance, good to see. :)

Edmund Burke

Ant
Shed dweller

#359 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Ant »

Sat debating what to do with myself this weekend. I've finished off the last work job I had bar fitting a baseplate to it. Can't do that until Tuesday when the engineering firm I use for having plates cut is open again, so I have for the first time in a few months, a weekend to do nothing. Or something. I'm already bored, I only finished it about an hour ago.....
Perhaps I should go get some more sheet material and make a proper start on the new deck using the dual dd motor.....
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#360 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Mike H »

ed wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 10:13 am
Ray P wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 7:27 am Maybe something for Mike H to be going on with?

maybe...

I may be wrong but I have a feeling Nigel's circuit originated in a 1990s Maplin mag(Dave Goodman?) which Mike may have contributed to??
Ah the Maplin 50W Mosfet amp, slightly before my time I believe, I joined in 1984 and they'd recently gone on sale by then. Yes was a Dave Goodman I believe. Latterly he ended up as the lab manager. I tried making a pair on Veroboards (before I joined Maplin), whether I was too tight to buy the kits I can't remember, but the kit PCB had some specifically shaped areas of copper on it around the MOSFET's, which, it transpired, kept them stable, I couldn't match this on the Veroboards, every time I advanced the bias preset to remove the X-over distortion the thing would become a radio transmitter! I eventually gave up in disgust, I think I've still got the FET's somewhere (in a tobacco tin).

Much later there was a 1 kW MOSFET amp kit, that had a Zobel network across the output on the board, to make it behave, it transpired the lab had to find a particular combination of capacitor and resistor to make it work. The cap was a radial PCB mounted jobbie, most likely a polyprop. The kit is selling, no probs, all hunky-dory, then some time later, suddenly they're getting returned by customers as not working. Transpired this capacitor went out of production, so the buying office searched for and found an equivalent, which is fair enough, same pin pitch, dimenions and everything, knowing that it's used in kit(s), and normally that would be fine except this blasted amp threw its toys out its pram because the cap was different! Lab sorted it out eventually but was a headache for a while. I remember having to write the update for it in the mag.

Going back to 50W MOSFET amp, I remember Dave Goodman telling us a story that a kit was returned to technical services as not working, "I built this kit and it doesn't work", lab couldn't believe the state of the thing that arrived in the post, the customer has soldered all the PCB pads using plumber's lead and a blowtorch. :shock: True story

Like Dave said you just can't anticipate what some people are going to do.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."