General health matters.

Subjects that don't have their own home
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#91 Re: General health matters.

Post by IslandPink »

I think it matter a lot, when this problem started. I found it very interesting, the use of satellite imagery to see that there was unusual activity and traffic around Wuhan hospitals as early as September/October last year.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#92 Re: General health matters.

Post by simon »

Can't remember if I've said before but a colleague's father in law was in Wuhan up to November last year. It's probably just coincidence, but a number of people at work were very poorly at the end of last year, people who are rarely off sick were absent for 2 or 3 weeks and felt like death warmed up when they did come back. I was horribly poorly for 3 weeks over Christmas.

It was probably just a nasty strain of flu, but there's a few of us can't help wondering if that was an early outbreak of Covid 19 in the UK. Who knows.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#93 Re: General health matters.

Post by jack »

There are some really nasty 'flus around, especially if you have no previous exposure.

We were in Jordan early last year - on return to Dubai, I felt out of sorts and tired, but that passed in a day or so. We're both pretty fit (and always have been).

On return to the UK, my wife went down with completely evil debilitating 'flu. She was in bed for most of 6 weeks - in 30 years of marriage and having lived in several countries, neither of us has ever spent more than a day in bed. It completely shattered her and months later she was still feeling the effects.

So, evil 'flu does not necessarily equal SARS-Cov-2/Covid-19, even if it's in Wuhan.

Regarding vitamin D, the NICE Guidance is generally to take 10ug/day for general health and is not associated with SARS-Cov-2 - see https://www.nice.org.uk/advice/es28/cha ... y-messages - it's mainly about lack of sunlight in Northern climes and folk staying indoors at the moment, i.e. a general advisory, not specific to prevention/treatment of Covid-19.

It's interesting that most folk are vitamin D deficient - even in the UAE it was a major problem as folk always put on factor 30 or 50 when going out, so even there most people don't get enough UV - many take supplements, especially children. I only found out about this when I had a major medical checkup (part of the mandatory prerequisites for doing the Bosphorus swim).

The summary seems to be that there is no conclusive proof that it helps specifically with Covid-19, though folk should take supplements anyway. The co-morbidities seem far more significant (obesity, diabetes, COPD etc.)
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Nick
Site Admin

#94 Re: General health matters.

Post by Nick »

It won't change what has happened, and I still don't thing we will ever get the truth.
Problem is I think there is a good chance you already have the truth, the virus transferred from animal to human in a wet market.

What I think you mean is "and I still don't thing we will ever get a truth that I will believe".

It may or may not have gone via the Wuhan Institute of Virology who were working on “Understanding the Risk of Bat Coronavirus Emergence.” funded partly with a US grant. But AFAIK, the genetic predecessor to Sars-Col-2 can be found in the wild.

the "when" I agree is a more interesting question.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#95 Re: General health matters.

Post by IslandPink »

jack wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:56 am The summary seems to be that there is no conclusive proof that it helps specifically with Covid-19, though folk should take supplements anyway. The co-morbidities seem far more significant (obesity, diabetes, COPD etc.)
It would be nice if we could operate on the basis of 'evidence' rather than 'proof' on this - given that this is a vitamin, not a drug with side-effects.
What interests me is that some of the comorbidities listed, and that list includes high blood pressure, have associations with low vitamin D.
Nick
Site Admin

#96 Re: General health matters.

Post by Nick »

IslandPink wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:41 pm
jack wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:56 am The summary seems to be that there is no conclusive proof that it helps specifically with Covid-19, though folk should take supplements anyway. The co-morbidities seem far more significant (obesity, diabetes, COPD etc.)
It would be nice if we could operate on the basis of 'evidence' rather than 'proof' on this - given that this is a vitamin, not a drug with side-effects.
What interests me is that some of the comorbidities listed, and that list includes high blood pressure, have associations with low vitamin D.
Yes, what I found interesting about the article I linked to was it provided a possible mechanism to link symptoms, co-morbidities and what seems to be effective treatments together,
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#97 Re: General health matters.

Post by IslandPink »

It was interesting to read more about how D is involved in the immune response. I was aware that it modulates the immune response and can prevent the Cytokine storm , but there's more detail there.
Nick
Site Admin

#98 Re: General health matters.

Post by Nick »

IslandPink wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:53 pm It was interesting to read more about how D is involved in the immune response. I was aware that it modulates the immune response and can prevent the Cytokine storm , but there's more detail there.
Yes, and it also points to a different peptide in action.
Michael L
Old Hand

#99 Re: General health matters.

Post by Michael L »

Very interesting article Nick. I believe my wife and I both had CV19 in March. Two days feeling weird for me with a fast return to 100% fitness. My wife however is still unwell to this day and it appears she is a so called 'long Covid' sufferer with chronic fatigue, various aches and pains, dizzy spells. She didn't have a cough and was already taking Vit D supplements. Maybe they provided some protection. Oddly she had an enhanced sense of smell rather than a loss of this.
Unlike some 'long-haulers', she can do some household jobs like cooking,light gardening, take walks but this varies greatly from day to day and she needs to rest on a bench.
This is a strange thing - the slightest over-exertion can result in exhaustion the next day (or two). This is echoed in reports from other sufferers. She's had blood tests to rule out other conditions but annoyingly, no CV19 tests were available when she was infectious and no antibody tests have been offered since.
Frustratingly, plans to move to warmer climes and shall we say 'different' politics are on hold - a bugger with the end of transition looming but we count our blessings.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#100 Re: General health matters.

Post by pre65 »

Nick wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:39 pm
It won't change what has happened, and I still don't thing we will ever get the truth.
Problem is I think there is a good chance you already have the truth, the virus transferred from animal to human in a wet market.

What I think you mean is "and I still don't thing we will ever get a truth that I will believe".

It may or may not have gone via the Wuhan Institute of Virology who were working on “Understanding the Risk of Bat Coronavirus Emergence.” funded partly with a US grant. But AFAIK, the genetic predecessor to Sars-Col-2 can be found in the wild.

the "when" I agree is a more interesting question.

I listened to a radio broadcast about Covid 19, and now I feel a bit more educated about the virus.

If one has 55 minutes to spare it's worth a listen.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p08q0 ... 30thaug%5D

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#101 Re: General health matters.

Post by Paul Barker »

So Sam had to see plastic surgeon at Hull Royal, who promptly whisked him to Theatre, me and wife who took him agreed with Sam we’d go back to Scarborough and get his laptop so he can work in recovery. Tired of driving all week all over Yorkshire I opted to go back with laptop on train. Only £11 return with Senior Railcard! On arrival at ward 12 followed someone in, cleansed hands, heard a nurse talk to a Sam in first cubicle “is that Sam Barker” ? .... “yes” ... oh great, walk in give Sam his laptop, chew the far right nurse, help her do his obs and comment on results, ask what IV Antibiotics? General nursing chat. Send text to wife “ I'm with Sam he's just arrived back on ward his obs are good he's having IV flucloxacillin arm bandaged in a sling and raised. Talking alright. Had general and a nerve block so can't feel hand due to block. Will have to get over effects of general anaesthetic x“ stay 3/4 hours Charing likewise to 3 or 4 more staff who come and go. All polite and friendly with me. Get up to go catch last train to Scarborough on way out Sister says “who let you in?” OOPS! No visitors!

No signs up, no staff make you aware!

I dare you to see how long you can do a hospital visit!
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#102 Re: General health matters.

Post by IslandPink »

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#103 Re: General health matters.

Post by pre65 »

As an experiment I'm starting the day on 2 cups warm water + juice 1/2 lemon + tablespoon cyder vinegar (with mother) on an empty stomach.

Day 2 today.

Edmund Burke

Nick
Site Admin

#104 Re: General health matters.

Post by Nick »

Thats not in any way an experiment though, its just something you are doing.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#105 Re: General health matters.

Post by pre65 »

Nick wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:48 pm Thats not in any way an experiment though, its just something you are doing.
You are, of course, correct.

It's something I am trying.

Edmund Burke