General health matters.

Subjects that don't have their own home
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#16 Re: General health matters.

Post by Mike H »

I've tried Canderel on and off, but my sugar in tea and coffee has been reducing such that now it's far too sweet. And they're tiny little tablets so difficult to cut in half! Don't like the aftertaste anyway.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
shane
Social outcast

#17 Re: General health matters.

Post by shane »

Have you tried Xylitol, or birch sugar as it's otherwise known? Tastewise, I couldn't distinguish it from normal white sugar in tea, coffee oron my morning porage, although you need about 10% more to achieve the same sweetness. It doesn't get absorbed into the bloodstream, so passes straight through the gut. The only thing you have to watch is that it's toxic for dogs. Also a bit pricey.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/xy ... what-it-is
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#18 Re: General health matters.

Post by Ray P »

shane wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:31 pm Have you tried Xylitol...
That looks interesting, I'll pass that info onto someone I know who's been diagnosed as diabetic. Cheers
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
rowuk
Old Hand

#19 Re: General health matters.

Post by rowuk »

I am diabetic and I feel that if we want to get out from under the sweet tooths spell - that substitutes do not help. The body maintains its craving for sweet and at one point, we cave in. I have had the most success with NOT eating things with a long list of ingredients (everything artificially sweetened). Fresh meat, fresh fish, fresh vegetables cooked for a flavour explosion to the tongue. It is tough only for the first couple of months until we start to get a success story with our sugar levels, weight and belt size...
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#20 Re: General health matters.

Post by Mike H »

@ Shane, thanks.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
shane
Social outcast

#21 Re: General health matters.

Post by shane »

My pleasure!
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#22 Re: General health matters.

Post by Mike H »

It's just arrived in the post. Give a go later on, hope I don't block up the drains :lol:

Lee S
Old Hand

#23 Re: General health matters.

Post by Lee S »

Hi Phil. I use a stevia based product called Truvia. Seems OK and natural from the stevia plant. Comes in powder or pill form. One pill to replace each teaspoon of sugar. I tried xylitol which is the closest to real sugar in taste IMO, but I ended up legging it to the bog 15 minutes after every cup of tea.... YMMV !! :lol:
©2020 Lee
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#24 Re: General health matters.

Post by Paul Barker »

We as a family have changed what we’re eating a few ways over last 10 years, for health reasons not for looking good.

First we followed Dr Furman, then I got into “auto immune paleo” and now our son who drives the change except when I went off on a tangent following all the “leaky gut” believers!

He’s now decided we are following Ray Pete!

Funny thing about it is those three diets each involve eating plenty of stuff banned from each of the others.

Ray Pete is conscrrned about different things to every other diet on the planet. He is concerned to keep your endocrine and hormonal system healthy amongst other things. He targets the wrong type of oils from his viewpoint (the oils he likes us to use are banned on other diets and the oils those other diets promote Ray Pete avoids. He is consciences snout the poisonous toxins plants use to defend themselves being eaten.

He says the nutrients they provide is not worth the effect of the toxins on you’re endocrine/ hormone processes which predispose old gimmers like me to get thyroid problems cancer problems and whatever else.

He allows more sugar in the diet than usual, and plenty of fruit naturally sweet has to be eaten to make up for shortfall in nutrients we used to get from brassica.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#25 Re: General health matters.

Post by IslandPink »

I'll have a look into that, Paul, thanks.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#26 Re: General health matters.

Post by simon »

Out of interest which oils Paul?
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#27 Re: General health matters.

Post by IslandPink »

ps. It's Ray Peat btw.
DSJR
User

#28 Re: General health matters.

Post by DSJR »

Just caught this.

I've been on sweeteners for many years now, from the hideous 'Sweetex' my Mum used to have, to what wife and I find palatable - currently the Tesco ones currently for £1.35 for 300 in narrow dispensers (they used to cost double this or more). We've tried most of the others and don't like the after-taste. Canderel is really odd for us as at home, they're not nice at all, yet at other locations they're just fine. Makes me wonder if some 'special priced' promotions are for slightly non-standard batches which are sold off cheap to clear... Either that or the water really does change even locally...

I have an incredibly sweet tooth - very bad for a T2 Diabetic of getting on for fifteen years (nothing was done though until 2011 when it all seriously kicked off). You can forget tobacco and other chemical addictions (I've fortunately never been thus addicted) but chocolate is a life necessity, albeit in extreme moderation and the odd alcoholic refreshment goes down nicely too ;)
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#29 Re: General health matters.

Post by Paul Barker »

simon wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:17 pm Out of interest which oils Paul?
Honestly I find Ray Peat very boring he’s academic I presume.

So I just pick up my son’s snipers. I think he’s against all what have became known as good fats vis a vis Colesterol good or bad.

So we fry with dripping or lard, spread butter and relish the fatty cuts of meat!

White not oily fish.

If you read anything of his it’s like reading a published paper. Boring, long winded, contra to everything you’ve ever learned about cancer endocrine system diabetes.

I read all of one paper on Prostate Cancer. Scares the **** out of you if you’ve got bph. But by the end you’re totally 😐
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#30 Re: General health matters.

Post by IslandPink »

The article on Serotonin is superb. Agrees totally with my experiences with SSRI's, worth reading carefully again, thanks.
I have been using butter and avoiding processed fats for years , also taking cod liver oil.