New Phono Stage Bake Off

Subjects that don't have their own home
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#1 New Phono Stage Bake Off

Post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Venue required.

Doesn't have to be large.

Two requirements 1/ you don't ban me from attending :lol: :lol: 2/ not too far from Brum.

Anytime in the summer months, sooner better.

Components - originally suggested as a mk2 of the one last summer in Uddersfield as the Firey Vivant has progressed and he wants to assess in the mix again. The other one is of course NVA. We are trying to get SQ to bring a Paradise (or other owner builder), and Nick has some new ones. Personally I think that is a perfect mix, anymore and the listening process becomes too complicated.
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#2 Re: New Phono Stage Bake Off

Post by mainscablesrus »

There is one at my place in May.

Bury your hatred for fuses and MCRU and be a man and turn up.

Curry the night before with me and Nick, what more could a man ask for? :D

All that's going on in the world and grown men behaving like big babies, its very sad.

I can personally provide for my bake off in May..............

NVA Phono 2 (2 power supplies )

LDA new JFtet

LDA new PH1

LDA refernce

iFI iPhono II

I don't think we need 3 phono stage bake off's just to continue the Firey and RD battle, its really quite farcical.

Based on what I heard the NVA was miles ahead on the day and for the money is a superb product, who really cares if the new Firebottle is better I couldn't give a rats arse and doubt many others will. I bought an NVA for home use, simple.

The markets you are both in are so small its not worth getting flustered over.
You can't change how people treat you or what they say about you. All you can do is change how you react to it.
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#3 Re: New Phono Stage Bake Off

It is not a hatred of fuses, it is a hatred of bullshit and slurp. FFS man you are selling a product that is illegal in the UK whether you like it or not. No where else has plug fuses, and they have to have protection and a *specifically* build for that purpose, and a standard internal glass fuse, no matter what magic material is used to make them, used for this they are *DANGEROUS*, you must have seen the video I posted, would you want that to happen in one of the sockets in your house.

SR fuse are fine and perfectly legal on internal electronics work and I have no argument with you about use of them apart from they are a complete slurping rip-off and probably a waste of time as no fuse is always better, but as you say about mains cables costing thousands of pounds, if the eeediots want to buy them I will sell them.

What you should have done was tell people they are illegal in plugs and not sell them for that purpose, but no, greed took over, and you promoted them for that very purpose. THAT is why I fell out with you.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#4 Re: New Phono Stage Bake Off

Post by Ali Tait »

Has Nick come up with a new Jfet phono stage?
Nick
Site Admin

#5 Re: New Phono Stage Bake Off

Post by Nick »

Ali Tait wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:26 pm Has Nick come up with a new Jfet phono stage?
Yep, I decided to do much the same as the last one, but use the solid state shunt regulators from the reference phono. The prototype is working well, just need to get some casework done (yep its the old story). Same sort of front end jfet (LSK170 this time as its a current part), ecc88 cascode, single RIAA stage, ecc88 second gain stage, CCS loaded ecc82 cathode follower on the output (again, picked that over the 5687 as its in production). 60dB gain, adjustable loading (got fed up making loading plugs).
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#6 Re: New Phono Stage Bake Off

Post by mainscablesrus »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:24 pm It is not a hatred of fuses, it is a hatred of bullshit and slurp. FFS man you are selling a product that is illegal in the UK whether you like it or not. No where else has plug fuses, and they have to have protection and a *specifically* build for that purpose, and a standard internal glass fuse, no matter what magic material is used to make them, used for this they are *DANGEROUS*, you must have seen the video I posted, would you want that to happen in one of the sockets in your house.

SR fuse are fine and perfectly legal on internal electronics work and I have no argument with you about use of them apart from they are a complete slurping rip-off and probably a waste of time as no fuse is always better, but as you say about mains cables costing thousands of pounds, if the eeediots want to buy them I will sell them.

What you should have done was tell people they are illegal in plugs and not sell them for that purpose, but no, greed took over, and you promoted them for that very purpose. THAT is why I fell out with you.
This is a phono stage bake off thread dude, keep on topic.
You can't change how people treat you or what they say about you. All you can do is change how you react to it.
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#7 Re: New Phono Stage Bake Off

Post by mainscablesrus »

Ali Tait wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:26 pm Has Nick come up with a new Jfet phono stage?
Oh yes, I have heard it in my own system, usual Gorham magic. :D
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#8 Re: New Phono Stage Bake Off

I quote your post.

"Bury your hatred for fuses and MCRU and be a man and turn up."

You made it on-topic, if you are embarrassed to talk about then don't bring it up.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#9 Re: New Phono Stage Bake Off

Post by Ali Tait »

Nick wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:36 pm
Yep, I decided to do much the same as the last one, but use the solid state shunt regulators from the reference phono. The prototype is working well, just need to get some casework done (yep its the old story). Same sort of front end jfet (LSK170 this time as its a current part), ecc88 cascode, single RIAA stage, ecc88 second gain stage, CCS loaded ecc82 cathode follower on the output (again, picked that over the 5687 as its in production). 60dB gain, adjustable loading (got fed up making loading plugs).
Look forward to hearing it Nick, shame I can’t make Owston.
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#10 Re: New Phono Stage Bake Off

Post by mainscablesrus »

Ali Tait wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:34 am
Nick wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:36 pm
Look forward to hearing it Nick, shame I can’t make Owston.
If we have the bake off Saturday can you and Andrew make it chief?
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#11 Re: New Phono Stage Bake Off

Post by Ali Tait »

Depending on the date, yes hopefully. Be good if you could make it Andrew?

I could bring the Modwright stage, not heard it myself yet as it’s been in storage.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#12 Re: New Phono Stage Bake Off

This thread is not about your bake off it is about mine, so piss off back to your own thread.