Dodgy TFT Screen

Subjects that don't have their own home
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#1 Dodgy TFT Screen

Post by simon »

There are a fair few knowledgeable people on here so I'll ask a question before I skip an old monitor. It's a 14 year-old AG Neovo S-17 - when it's switched on initially it works for maybe half a second then goes blank. It looks to be fairly dim too, not the usual brightness. It does this with either DVI or VGA input. Turning it off and then on again does the same thing.

I've had a Google but couldn't find anything - time is precious, if it's an easy fix I'll have a go otherwise it's heading to the tip. Any suggestions?
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#2 Re: Dodgy TFT Screen

Post by The Stratmangler »

Chris :happy3:
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#3 Re: Dodgy TFT Screen

Post by simon »

Thanks Chris, I never really think of looking on YouTube. But there's loads of similar videos!

I hoped it might be as simple as a capacitor, but not knowing much about them I thought I'd ask...
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#4 Re: Dodgy TFT Screen

All I did was Google the problem.
The Youtube vid was a bonus :)
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#5 Re: Dodgy TFT Screen

Post by simon »

Think I need a new search engine!
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#6 Re: Dodgy TFT Screen

I found that "Ayup wasthalookin for?" was more yww (Yorkshire wide web) than www :lol:
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#7 Re: Dodgy TFT Screen

Post by simon »

Sigh! So I took the back off hoping to find a popped lytic. There wasn't but apparently they can do the same when a cap hasn't actually failed but is on the verge. But there were 32 lytics on the board... The caps cost about £4.50 but it's taken me about 5 hours today to remove the damned things and put the new ones in.

Solder wick didn't work at all and maybe half a dozen holes cleared with a solder sucker. So it was a right royal pain inserting the new caps heating each leg in turn to wiggle them in to place. And the legs that went into a pour rather than a trace were a nightmare! How I didn't damage the pcb with the amount and duration of heat I needed to use I don't know.

Anyway, put it all back together, switched it on, and it still doesn't work. But this time there was that component burning smell. Looking at the pcb again I couldn't see any signs of failure anywhere so it's off to the tip with it :-(. Oh well.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#8 Re: Dodgy TFT Screen

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Well done for trying. 'To the tip' is the best solution - catharsis!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#9 Re: Dodgy TFT Screen

Post by simon »

The irony is it'll probably get shipped out to somewhere like India where they'll recycle it (and do a much better job than me)
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#10 Re: Dodgy TFT Screen

Post by andrew Ivimey »

from what I can make out that's a better ending than that of the Chinese who are now refusing our plastic for 're-cycling'. Having filled numerous open cast mines in Tibet ( that has well and truly been raped for precious minerals) with our sh1t they now say enough is enough. That's a usage of the term 're-cycling' with which I am not familiar.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#11 Re: Dodgy TFT Screen

Post by simon »

Mmmm. Perhaps a little like carbon offsetting instead of just dealing with ones own carbon footprint.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#12 Re: Dodgy TFT Screen

Post by Mike H »

There was a news item recently, actually they do recycle, example cited was expanded polystyrene is compressed then chopped up into tiny pellets, then it is suitable for injection moulding, which is really quite clever, then all kinds of things are made with it like plastic cases, boxes, picture frames, whatever. But can't remember why they've stopped receiving any more, might simply be because they've got too much stock piled?

-

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."