BNC v RCA

Subjects that don't have their own home
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#16 Re: BNC v RCA

Post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I haven't a clue what you have, where did you get it from. RG316 has stranded core, RG402 and 405 has solid core.

If you you are going to believe the pages of shite on the subject at AoS then leave me out of this I am just wasting my time.

Look at your OP and the content, that resulted in my post.
Bigman80
User

#17 Re: BNC v RCA

Post by Bigman80 »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:39 pm I haven't a clue what you have, where did you get it from. RG316 has stranded core, RG402 and 405 has solid core.

If you you are going to believe the pages of shite on the subject at AoS then leave me out of this I am just wasting my time.

Look at your OP and the content, that resulted in my post.
Hey Doc, don't get upset about whats being said elsewhere. I am taking your advice seriously and have ordered some more RG316 with stranded core. I have a set at home with plugs on after confirming what they are. I am also looking at a set of DIN to RCA NVA cables currently on ebay to see if i can get a matching set from source to amp. You and i agree on how good that RG316 cable is as i used it previously without realising.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#18 Re: BNC v RCA

As has been said to you by Jack and me there is RG316 and RG316.

I always get angered by bad information and bullshit perpetrated by pretend experts, which is all AoS is now apart from in this thread maybe Barry. All the people who knew something like Nick left or just don't post anymore or got booted by Mr Ego "I am always right", including me. I wouldn't put up with the man and still wont. We now just take the piss out of him at HFS.
Bigman80
User

#19 Re: BNC v RCA

Post by Bigman80 »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:36 pm As has been said to you by Jack and me there is RG316 and RG316.

I always get angered by bad information and bullshit perpetrated by pretend experts, which is all AoS is now apart from in this thread maybe Barry. All the people who knew something like Nick left or just don't post anymore or got booted by Mr Ego "I am always right", including me. I wouldn't put up with the man and still wont. We now just take the piss out of him at HFS.
Doc, i really don't want to get into a forum war and have avoided it since i joined any forum. I think you have a lot of top information and it would be foolish to ignore it. I am happy we are conversing in a much more pleasant way.

I have looked on google for a reputable seller from the USA but who knows what i'll end up with lol. You never know, NVA Chords could end up in my system! who'd have thought that a month or two ago!!!
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#20 Re: BNC v RCA

Post by jack »

Bigman80 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:44 pm I have looked on google for a reputable seller from the USA but who knows what i'll end up with lol. You never know, NVA Chords could end up in my system! who'd have thought that a month or two ago!!!
The equivalents of Farnell in the USA are Newark (owned by Element14, same group as Farnell), DigiKey & Mouser. Buy off a trade supplier like them and you'll (99.99% of the time) get the real deal (just occasionally they get conned by a rogue supplier, but it's rare).

All RG316 *should* be the same as it's a MIL-SPEC standard, M17/113-RG316.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Bigman80
User

#21 Re: BNC v RCA

Post by Bigman80 »

jack wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:50 pm
Bigman80 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:44 pm I have looked on google for a reputable seller from the USA but who knows what i'll end up with lol. You never know, NVA Chords could end up in my system! who'd have thought that a month or two ago!!!
The equivalents of Farnell in the USA are Newark (owned by Element14, same group as Farnell), DigiKey & Mouser. Buy off a trade supplier like them and you'll (99.99% of the time) get the real deal (just occasionally they get conned by a rogue supplier, but it's rare).

All RG316 *should* be the same as it's a MIL-SPEC standard, M17/113-RG316.
Cheers Jack, i'll see what turns up and then how it sounds. I'll then endeavour to get the best RG316 i can.
Bigman80
User

#22 Re: BNC v RCA

Post by Bigman80 »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eightwood-1-M ... Sw6WlZhTcg

bought this, says the right things. Dropped lucky hopefully
Bigman80
User

#23 Re: BNC v RCA

Post by Bigman80 »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#24 Re: BNC v RCA

They don't sound the same. The ebay one linked to above is a Chinese crap one. You can tell by looking at the picture, you can see the braided shield, that should be thicker and closer woven in the real stuff, and you shouldn't see it through the sleeve so that is thin.
Bigman80
User

#25 Re: BNC v RCA

Post by Bigman80 »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:45 pm They don't sound the same. The ebay one linked to above is a Chinese crap one. You can tell by looking at the picture, you can see the braided shield, that should be thicker and closer woven in the real stuff, and you shouldn't see it through the sleeve so that is thin.
Balls.

Ok, I'll look at the stuff connected to that NVA din to RCA I've bought. Nevermind, it'll get used for something. I'll go to someone more reputable next time.
DSJR
User

#26 Re: BNC v RCA

Post by DSJR »

I work with the pukka SC cable as supplied for NVA use and it took a couple of goes and a lot of tellings-off before I developed a safe-ish and reliable way of stripping it back for use (it's used inside the P50 and P90 passive preamps). Once the outer is stripped off (I use a Stanley knife to remove a sliver around an inch long, then peel the rest back, but the Doc may have a far better way of doing it, often including teeth :shock: ), the tightly woven screen needs VERY CAREFUL teasing so it can be twisted and tinned from edge to insulation (this latter won't melt if you do it right), thus giving strength to he conductor. The inner core is easily stripped and tinned.

As for plugs, I like the cheapish Neutrik plugs as they look posh and offer a tight fit to a phono socket. In practise, the ones NVA use DON'T look posh so are condemned by snooty audiophools, yet actually, they work reliably and 'sound' just fine to me anyway!!! The MS plugs have a slick look and a slick 'feel' so others feel they're worth the money. The SC cable can't be properly clamped in these though (if you're VERY careful, it won't matter if you don't twist the plugs around) and even the Klotz MC5000 cable favoured by some elsewhere (and which I also use in my non-NVA gear) needs a few layers of heat-shrink on it for the 'gripper screws' to begin to help prevent the cable twisting if badly handled..

I was going to say loads more, but not today and not at this time :roll:
Bigman80
User

#27 Re: BNC v RCA

Post by Bigman80 »

DSJR wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:23 pm I work with the pukka SC cable as supplied for NVA use and it took a couple of goes and a lot of tellings-off before I developed a safe-ish and reliable way of stripping it back for use (it's used inside the P50 and P90 passive preamps). Once the outer is stripped off (I use a Stanley knife to remove a sliver around an inch long, then peel the rest back, but the Doc may have a far better way of doing it, often including teeth :shock: ), the tightly woven screen needs VERY CAREFUL teasing so it can be twisted and tinned from edge to insulation (this latter won't melt if you do it right), thus giving strength to he conductor. The inner core is easily stripped and tinned.

As for plugs, I like the cheapish Neutrik plugs as they look posh and offer a tight fit to a phono socket. In practise, the ones NVA use DON'T look posh so are condemned by snooty audiophools, yet actually, they work reliably and 'sound' just fine to me anyway!!! The MS plugs have a slick look and a slick 'feel' so others feel they're worth the money. The SC cable can't be properly clamped in these though (if you're VERY careful, it won't matter if you don't twist the plugs around) and even the Klotz MC5000 cable favoured by some elsewhere (and which I also use in my non-NVA gear) needs a few layers of heat-shrink on it for the 'gripper screws' to begin to help prevent the cable twisting if badly handled..

I was going to say loads more, but not today and not at this time :roll:
Thanks for the tips, Dave. I have used this cable and fitted some MS plugs to it, I just didn't know what type of cable it was. I wasn't as careful as you and the Doc but I will be now. Looks are deceiving and I get what you mean about "the look" but I'm only interested in the sound. I may just stump up for some official cables to match the ones I bought and give them a fair trial.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#28 Re: BNC v RCA

Post by jack »

I use a tool similar to https://www.air802.com/Coax-Cable-Strip ... -rg58.html.

Cheap and does a perfect job every time...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Bigman80
User

#29 Re: BNC v RCA

Post by Bigman80 »

I have one!!!!
Bigman80
User

#30 Re: BNC v RCA

Post by Bigman80 »

Ok, Doc, if you're still reading,

I bought a NVA DIN to RCA cable but the din wasn't the right connector so I've stripped the connector off and put a pair of very good RCAs on the cable. I see what you mean about the difference in quality of the cable too, yours has a very tightly weaved shield and the Chinese stuff doesn't. Also, the jacket is more translucent. So, found a company in USA called Harbour who make it in the USA. I'll give them a try next.

Sound tests on the NVA cables tomorrow.